Question about UE Triple Fi 10
Dec 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

imkenny

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of these. I'm not an audiophile though. I received them as a gift form someone. I've listened to them and honestly can't hear a difference. I've plugged them into my phone and laptop. Then something crossed my mind. Do these need something special to power them? I ran across someone saying something about impedance. 

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 38
I own UE TF10s and I'd have to say they're better than everything else I own in the IEM department, but no, they do not really need to be powered, although having an amp does really help.

All in all, whatever floats your boat

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 38
Amp isn't necessary for them to sound great, but they do sound better amped imho.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 38
All I can say is that the TF10s are definitely not worth much more than the $95 sale price.

When you say "ATC NC 23" I assume you mean Audio-Technica's "ATH-ANC23". If that's the case... you are definitely spot on about it having a much sharper, crisper, and cleaner sound than TF10 will ever have. No amount of amp and EQ will clear up TF10's bloated and muddy sound. But I think, if you can get over the terrible fit and spend more time with the TF10, you'll find its V-shaped "fun" sound a very good compliment to ATH's treble focused house sound.
Quote:
Well all I have are ATC NC 23's and those sound better than the UE to me. The ATC's sound sharper and crisper (with nc on). Again, I'm not an audiophile haha!

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 38

Quote:
All I can say is that the TF10s are definitely not worth much more than the $95 sale price.

No amount of amp and EQ will clear up TF10's bloated and muddy sound. But I think, if you can get over the terrible fit and spend more time with the TF10, you'll find its V-shaped "fun" sound a very good compliment to ATH's treble focused house sound.

LOL!! If you say that TF10 got bloated and muddy sound, I'm pretty sure the UE700, Westone 4, HD800, T1, LCD-3 and pretty much every high end headphone there is are all muddy to you. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 38
The TF10s are very detailed and neutral, so if you're looking for a very "fun" sounding phone then these may not be for you. But you may need to give them another chance or maybe "burn-in" as many people have found changes after burning-in. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 38

Quote:
The TF10s are very detailed and neutral, so if you're looking for a very "fun" sounding phone then these may not be for you. But you may need to give them another chance or maybe "burn-in" as many people have found changes after burning-in. 

I dont think the TF10s are either of those. It has a V-shaped Frq response and is certainly more biased towards high and low frequencies, far from neutral or flat response. The TF10s are also pretty "fun" sounding to me. YMMV though

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 38

Quote:

I dont think the TF10s are either of those. It has a V-shaped Frq response and is certainly more biased towards high and low frequencies, far from neutral or flat response. The TF10s are also pretty "fun" sounding to me. YMMV though

Well, I guess so. But they are more neutral than many other IEMs out there. So yeah...

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 38
Neutral and V-shaped is kind of contradictory.  But it IS colored and strikes a nice balance of being fun...a little treble/bass enhanced but somewhat balanced where no one frequency bleeds into the other.  It is a unique IEM in this regard.  Vocals are excellent.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 38
Most neutral v-shaped as in being only slightly v-shaped and closer to neutral than other v-shaped IEMs.. Agree with all your other points.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 38
Instead of relying on the impressions of fanboys, I suggest that you look at frequency response charts.

These measurable charts prove that anyone who claims that the TF10 has "bloated" anything is wrong, period. He might hear it that way, but the FACT is that the TF10 is probably the most neutral headphone on the market presently. It does dip a few db in the mids, but the highs and bass are NOT accentuated. Unlike nearly all IEMs (especially from Shure, Monster, etc.) the TF10 doesn't have ridiculously rolled off highs but is virtually flat. Most people are used to recessed and veiled highs (like on most Senns), so they naturally think that anything that is actually neutral sounds too bright for them.

A typical "off the cliff" treble IEM:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2731

Users who are viewing this thread

Back