Question about the Shure SE215
May 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wildcatman

New Head-Fier
I am thinking about getting a pair of the Shure SE215 IEM's. Pictures Iv'e seen show the cables going over and around the ears. I am not sure I would like this.  Can these IEM's be worn with the cables hanging down in a normal fashion?  I dont think I would like the cable going over my ear.  I also like the replaceable cables and the 2 year warranty.
Is Shure's Customer Service any good?  The cable over the ear question is the only reason I have not already gotten a pair of these.  I have also looked at the Weston 1's that are in my  price range.  From what I have read the Shure 215's sound better.
Thanks for your input.... Earl

May 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 13
I had the same concerns about the cable over the ear. The bad news is, I don't see the cable being worn down. The good news is I find them to be amazingly comfortable. Much better than any previous head/earphones I've tried.

May 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 13
I find the design of the Shure SE line to be extremely comfortable.  It also isolates extremely well because of how nicely they fit in your ear.  You won't have any microphonics either.  If you aren't comfortable with the idea still, you could look at the Monster Turbines.  I felt the sound between the two was very similar.

May 24, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 13
I suggest you BUY it because i had the same question like you before I bought my se215 . When I wear it  I feel that's the most comfortable  earphone I have never experience.

May 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 13
I was pretty stubborn too about the over-the-ear cable style, but once I got used to it, it now is my preferred method. That said, I would understand if someone tried it several times and still couldn't live with it. What I really prefer is IEM's that can be switched from cable-down to cable-up (e.g. straight barrels like eq-7), but if I had to strictly choose between one or the other, I'll take cable-up.

I recommend you keep an open mind, then buy or borrow a cheap IEM with the over-ear style like the MEElec M6 and see if it is something you could adapt to. Someone once told me you need to try foods 7 times before you can be sure you don't like it. But don't eat your headphones!

May 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 13
in short no the cables cannot by worn down, they have to go over the ears.

downside to shures new cable design is that the ''memory wire'' sucks and doesnt really conform that great, it can, but it takes some time to get them to ''mold'' correctly.

i too was a person who always worn ''cable down'' earphones. then i got the shures and i wasnt sure i was going to like it, thought it might be bothersome but not the case. i find it to be comfortable dont even really notice they are behind your ears like that.

May 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 13
i would say basically you cant really enjoy when you wear in a normal way, as the weight distribute between earphone and the cable plug is weird, so basically you will feel the earphone is dangling and heavy on your ear, not that suitable for long term listening, and isolation will compromise too.

May 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 13
its pretty easy to get used to the shure se215s over ear design.

and w1 better than se215? i wouldnt say so, and the se215 is 20-30 cheaper.

though i have to admit i like the fit and cord of the w1 better

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 13
I had the same concern when I was buying these, but since then I've grown to love the design, it stays in no problem, running, jumping, skating, getting hit by a car you didn't hear, etc etc

And the price to performance is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back