Question about Mac backup synchronization programs
Jun 17, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

auee

100+ Head-Fier
To fellow Mac users, so far I have manually backed up my 2 1TB external drives. The library is located on the Mini, each drive holds the music files and I use one as the primary playback drive and the other as the backup. I would like to use a synchronization program like AllwaySynch which is for Windows to sync the music files on both drives and the library on the Mini to both drives. I found the site connected with the below link which lists free backup software. Does anyone recommend any on the list or some other sync software whether free or commercial?

Free Mac Backup Software to Backup File Automatically

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Did you consider Apple's Time Machine? It comes with OS X. I just connected an external drive to my WiFi router, turned on Time Machine, and just let it do its thing. It works great and it has been completely transparent and painless.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 8
I would suggest going to Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker and searching for "backup". You can sort the search by rating or any other factor. I'd pick something with a good rating that has been updated fairly recently at least.

Personally, I use the rsync command in the Terminal to back up to another machine.

As Uncle Erik said though, are you using Time Machine to backup your main hard disk?

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 8
Yes, Time Machine. It's great, although it still doesn't provide off-site backup in case your home gets hit by a tornado or burgled. As mentioned by Currawong, rsync can solve both problems if you have the technical know how and a remote host with sufficient storage space. Failing that, you might want to check-out Mozy.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you consider Apple's Time Machine? It comes with OS X. I just connected an external drive to my WiFi router, turned on Time Machine, and just let it do its thing. It works great and it has been completely transparent and painless.

I did not think Time Machine can back up one external drive to another. Am I wrong?

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not think Time Machine can back up one external drive to another. Am I wrong?

I don't know. I have it running on a MacBook where I just back up its internal drive.

Also, the rsync is a good idea. I've thought about getting some space outside the house to back up my photos.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 8
+1 on using Time Machine.
Or wrap up your own shell script, using 'rsync'...

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Are you using iTunes? iTunes will only add what isn't already in its library. You could have another user account on your Mini that has your back up with the 2nd drive. Hope that makes sense.

Works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back