Question about Fiio E10 power
Feb 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

davidgotsa

500+ Head-Fier
I have the Fiio E10 right now. 

I was wondering if there was a difference between when it is plugged in directly in my Macbook Air or when I connect it to a USB hub that is powered by my wall outlet (Im not sure if that's the word, English is not my first language)? 

Basically, does the E10 get more power that way or is the USB connection already limiting it? 

I've been listening to my HD650's a lot lately but today I connected it to the USB hub and every song has been incredible. Maybe I'm just getting used to the sound, I don't know. Or maybe burn-in is real. 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
I have the Fiio E10 right now. 

I was wondering if there was a difference between when it is plugged in directly in my Macbook Air or when I connect it to a USB hub that is powered by my wall outlet (Im not sure if that's the word, English is not my first language)? 

Basically, does the E10 get more power that way or is the USB connection already limiting it? 

I've been listening to my HD650's a lot lately but today I connected it to the USB hub and every song has been incredible. Maybe I'm just getting used to the sound, I don't know. Or maybe burn-in is real. 

Thanks in advance!

plugging it into a powered USB hub will not increase the power output of the E10. the powered hubs are used if you want to connect many devices that don't have their own dedicated power source.

you are probably getting used to the sound. and burn in is real. depending on situation. burn in can be less and or more depending on the headphone and amp. but it is a real proven effect. how much it does is debatable.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the answer. I was just thinking that maybe the USB hub had more power and therefore gave the E10 more power to work with. But if you say it doesn't work that way I believe you. I know nothing about these things. 

And yes, I would have to say that the headphones sound noticeably better than they did on day 1. 

I ordered some Grados SR80i the other day because I wanted  a little taste of what Grados sound like, I guess the E10 will work just fine with the E10 as well. Right? 

Oh, I had another question you might be able to answer. 

I noticed that the HD650's sound a lot better at low volumes. Is that because the E10 isn't really enough to drive them like a powerful amp would? Or does it have nothing do to with that? 

Anyways, thanks for your input, I appreciate it. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. I was just thinking that maybe the USB hub had more power and therefore gave the E10 more power to work with. But if you say it doesn't work that way I believe you. I know nothing about these things. 

And yes, I would have to say that the headphones sound noticeably better than they did on day 1. 

I ordered some Grados SR80i the other day because I wanted  a little taste of what Grados sound like, I guess the E10 will work just fine with the E10 as well. Right? 

Anyways, thanks for your input, I appreciate it. 

Syergy between amp and headphone and what genre's you like and the sound you want provides a different experience. why didn't you choose the MS1's? they seemed to me to be the more acceptbale headphones these days?

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 9
I didn't chose the MS1's because a friend of mine sold a pair of unopened SR80i for a pretty good price and I think it would take a lot longer to get the MS1's since I live in Europe. 

Have you tried them both? 
Quote:
Syergy between amp and headphone and what genre's you like and the sound you want provides a different experience. why didn't you choose the MS1's? they seemed to me to be the more acceptbale headphones these days?

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I didn't chose the MS1's because a friend of mine sold a pair of unopened SR80i for a pretty good price and I think it would take a lot longer to get the MS1's since I live in Europe. 

Have you tried them both? 

oh so your friends sold you the SR80i's? if that is what happened then go for it man :D and yeah me as well. i ahve also been looking to get a listen to some Grado's :D 
gs1000.gif

anyone want to add other comments? ...but then again. his question wasn't that hard. wait a second...macbook air?

dude wait a second.....hmm. Have a family member come in. teach them how to hook up the E10 multiple ways and do a blind test. one with the E10 plugged in directly and another through the USB powered hub. and do a blind test. same volume no diff. make sure it's same volume set. i just reread your first post and noticed that. if the Macbook air's USB port doesn't give out enough power. that may limit it. i do not know  how fiio designed it. im gonna guess the Macbook air and any computer has enough power to power something like the E10 with 150mW max...but hey. safe side right? so yeah. plz do a blind test. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 9

I don't want to annoy you or anything but I edited my second post and added another question you might be able to answer: 

My HD650's sound a lot better at lower volumes, is that because the E10 isn't powerful enough to drive them well at higher volumes or does it have absolutely nothing to do with that? 

Again... thanks for you help!
Quote:
oh so your friends sold you the SR80i's? if that is what happened then go for it man :D and yeah me as well. i ahve also been looking to get a listen to some Grado's :D 
gs1000.gif

anyone want to add other comments? ...but then again. his question wasn't that hard.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I don't want to annoy you or anything but I edited my second post and added another question you might be able to answer: 

My HD650's sound a lot better at lower volumes, is that because the E10 isn't powerful enough to drive them well at higher volumes or does it have absolutely nothing to do with that? 

Again... thanks for you help!

i added soemthing just know too:
dude wait a second.....hmm. Have a family member come in. teach them how to hook up the E10 multiple ways and do a blind test. one with the E10 plugged in directly and another through the USB powered hub. and do a blind test. same volume no diff. make sure it's same volume set. i just reread your first post and noticed that. if the Macbook air's USB port doesn't give out enough power. that may limit it. i do not know  how fiio designed it. im gonna guess the Macbook air and any computer has enough power to power something like the E10 with 150mW max...but hey. safe side right? so yeah. plz do a blind test. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Good idea! I will do that as soon as my girlfriend gets home. 

Quote:
i added soemthing just know too:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back