question about ATH-M50
Feb 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sam9797

New Head-Fier
ok so i want an amazing headphone for around $100, i know the ath-m50 are those headphones, but do they sound amazing mobile, just playing from an ipod touch 4g? cuz thats mainly what im goin to use my headphones for. if not, any recommendations?

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
ok so i want an amazing headphone for around $100, i know the ath-m50 are those headphones, but do they sound amazing mobile, just playing from an ipod touch 4g? cuz thats mainly what im goin to use my headphones for. if not, any recommendations?

You will be fine with them...they are easy to drive. 

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 11
Well when you're playing $100+ you can get more specific than "easily driven by an iPod". The M50's are definitely NOT the end-all be-all phones around $100. Tell us what genres you like for starters. But I suppose if you already have your mind made up then buy them, they are easily driven by iPod's to answer your question. An amp will make any pair of headphones sound better though. Just realize that the M50's are studio monitor headphones, so they are very accurate, but not necessarily the most fun pair of headphones if you will be using them just to enjoy your music.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 11
I used M50 for years, and I found they are not very accurate for monitoring or sound editing.  I would say M50 is more for music listening than studio monitoring.  The bass is not very tight, it also has a little of reverberation caused by the headphones, so it is a little bit of distortion for sound engineering, but very nice reverb for music listening.  The detail also just slightly above average, and not so fast for fast pace music.  But I like it a lot for music listening :)

Shure SRH840 is more accurate for studio monitoring, but for music listening, I still prefer M50.  For sound editing, I use SRH840.

For best bang for the buck, try Superlux headphones if you can try them in your location.  My favorite is the HD681 for semi-open type, and HD662 (the red colour) for the closed type.
http://www.superlux.com.tw/productKind.do?pdkid=3a182f85-9464-41bf-b4c7-d618102f84ac&level=2&lv0=1

Or for on-ear type, for more portability, I like V-Jays :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 11
yeah, they'll sound just fine straight out of an iPod... although, i prefer them through an LOD and amp.

you'll notice a big improvement after about a 100 hours of burn-in, the bass tightens up considerably.

these are definitely some "fun" cans, you won't regret them :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Probably one of the main reasons why the M50's get recommended so much is because they sound good amped or unamped, especially since many new comers either do not have or do not want to invest in a headphone amp.

Anyway, enjoy and run away while you still can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back