Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Sep 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #271 of 883
Quote:
HD800 is easily brighter than the SR009, especially from a low output imp amp.

Yup, I couldn't stand them in a stock form so I upgraded mine with an upgrade cable which resulted in a good improvement with smoother top end.  The brightness was no longer an issue when I ran it balanced out of my GS-X.

I was going to PM you this.  How about the SR009 & HEV90 pairing?  Good or bad and how does it compared to your BHSE?

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #272 of 883
I can agree with this. They both sound a tad 'bright' to me, but closest to neutral I've heard I would think. But the HD800 has a bit more bite to it depending on amp/recording.

Quote:
Reading this thread really pushing me over the edge.  I now have the SR007 + SRM-717 and really want to upgrade to SR009.  Given the warmer tonal characters on the 717, it gotta be really good match with the SR009.  I auditioned the SR009 out of the DIY T2 and never found it to be that bright.  I thought that it is pretty darn neutral if not just a tad north of neutral.  IMO, the HD800's treble is "hotter" than that of the SR009.

@ Spritzer.  Glad you are enjoying the HD800.  You really need to make your Dynalo a balanced amp.  The HD800 sounds even better balanced with treble smooth out too.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #273 of 883
Quote:

Yup, I couldn't stand them in a stock form so I upgraded mine with an upgrade cable which resulted in a good improvement with smoother top end.  The brightness was no longer an issue when I ran it balanced out of my GS-X.

I was going to PM you this.  How about the SR009 & HEV90 pairing?  Good or bad and how does it compared to your BHSE?

I don't have an adapter to connect Stax headphones to the HEV90.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #274 of 883
Purk, I was about to congratulate you but I realize we need a little more effort to push you over the edge :). I must warn you though, there's no coming back!

More seriously, looking forward to reading the impressions from someone as experienced as yourself. I can't say for the T2 / BHSE but I can't imagine you getting deceived with the 009 out of the 717 amp coming from a HD800 rig.

I personally had to perform more drastic mod than recable to make the hd800 to my liking so I can't imagine you being turned off by the 009 tonality for instance. Besides this proclaimed brightness irritative to some and unless you like to listen rather loud, it's delightful!

By the way, as for the "brigthness" of sr009, actually it's more in the mids/upper mids rather than treble that people might have issue I think. The treble is very resolved and natural and it isn't sticking out in the least bit. The issue from some people with its "brigthness" is a problem with the overall voicing (and optimal listening level which is much lower than something like the omega 2). In that sense, the hd800 issue is a little different with a peak in the upper mids that sticks out and needs attenuation (and probably the scoop in the mids below that, see what anaxilus and co have done recently over at purrin's forum, it seems quite promising).

For soundstage, I prefer the precise layering and placement of the 009 to the extremely wide / deep albeit slightly fuzzy soundstaging of the hd800 but some may prefer either one based on tastes (also the hd800 seems to keep improving with the amplification, I did not looking something better than luxman p1u).

In the end, if you have the disposable income and the upgraditis itch, I don't see a reason why you you stop yourself (evil grin). We are way past the fotm fever at this time, and you've already tried it a bit so it's not like you may be completely surprised by what you get.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #275 of 883
Quote:
Purk, I was about to congratulate you but I realize we need a little more effort to push you over the edge
smily_headphones1.gif
. I must warn you though, there's no coming back!
More seriously, looking forward to reading the impressions from someone as experienced as yourself. I can't say for the T2 / BHSE but I can't imagine you getting deceived with the 009 out of the 717 amp coming from a HD800 rig.
I personally had to perform more drastic mod than recable to make the hd800 to my liking so I can't imagine you being turned off by the 009 tonality for instance. Besides this proclaimed brightness irritative to some and unless you like to listen rather loud, it's delightful!
By the way, as for the "brigthness" of sr009, actually it's more in the mids/upper mids rather than treble that people might have issue I think. The treble is very resolved and natural and it isn't sticking out in the least bit. The issue from some people with its "brigthness" is a problem with the overall voicing (and optimal listening level which is much lower than something like the omega 2). In that sense, the hd800 issue is a little different with a peak in the upper mids that sticks out and needs attenuation (and probably the scoop in the mids below that, see what anaxilus and co have done recently over at purrin's forum, it seems quite promising).
For soundstage, I prefer the precise layering and placement of the 009 to the extremely wide / deep albeit slightly fuzzy soundstaging of the hd800 but some may prefer either one based on tastes (also the hd800 seems to keep improving with the amplification, I did not looking something better than luxman p1u).
In the end, if you have the disposable income and the upgraditis itch, I don't see a reason why you you stop yourself (evil grin). We are way past the fotm fever at this time, and you've already tried it a bit so it's not like you may be completely surprised by what you get.

Thanks for your comment.   The SR009 is on my radar and I hope that I'll own it one of these days, but my budget is a little tight right now so they will have to wait.  I know how good the SR009 is capable off and I'm a big fan of that type of sound.  Listening to SR009 out of DIY T2 was one of the top three best headphones listening experience.  

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #276 of 883
Fuzzy imaging/SS from the HD800 is just the source/amp chain.  It can lock in just fine and certainly better than most if not all dynamics.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #277 of 883
Quote:
Fuzzy imaging/SS from the HD800 is just the source/amp chain.  It can lock in just fine and certainly better than most if not all dynamics.

They were indeed wonderful sounding when I had them.  Of course, they were no match to my R10 & Qualia though.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #278 of 883
The HEV90 could drive the 009 but I'd make damn sure it is the last version of the amp or better yet, the Aristaeus. 

I also agree that the 009 brightness and bass issues come from the voicing or rather the diaphragm material and how it's treated.  This change came late in the design phase and appears to me as a step too far. 

The Hd800 has no problems being driven off low impedance amps as that isn't the problem, it's how the amp reacts to their rather specific needs.  Take amps like the SPL Auditor and the M3, both fine amps but both sound like **** with the HD800.  Way too bright and edgy which is clearly the amp not liking the load. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #279 of 883
Quote:
The HEV90 could drive the 009 but I'd make damn sure it is the last version of the amp or better yet, the Aristaeus. 

I also agree that the 009 brightness and bass issues come from the voicing or rather the diaphragm material and how it's treated.  This change came late in the design phase and appears to me as a step too far. 

The Hd800 has no problems being driven off low impedance amps as that isn't the problem, it's how the amp reacts to their rather specific needs.  Take amps like the SPL Auditor and the M3, both fine amps but both sound like **** with the HD800.  Way too bright and edgy which is clearly the amp not liking the load. 

Do you expect the HEV90 to be able to drive the SR009 better than the SRM-717 or 727A?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #280 of 883
Quote:

This is exactly right.  

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #281 of 883
I've tried many different headphone amps both SS and Tube with the HD800 and found them unlistenable

However; having recently acquired one of Justin's little Gilmore Lite and dedicated power supply I can listen in pleasure at last!  This is a Z Ohms output which differs from everything else i've tried so don't know if this has any bearing on situation?

Quote:

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #282 of 883
Quote:
I've tried many different headphone amps both SS and Tube with the HD800 and found them unlistenable

However; having recently acquired one of Justin's little Gilmore Lite and dedicated power supply I can listen in pleasure at last!  This is a Z Ohms output which differs from everything else i've tried so don't know if this has any bearing on situation?

That's why you owe to yourself to get the GS-X for your HD800.  In balanced mode on my Headamp Gilmore Ref Balanced, the HD800 really transformed into one of the best dynamics available.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #283 of 883
Quote:

Do you expect the HEV90 to be able to drive the SR009 better than the SRM-717 or 727A?

No, not a chance of that happening. 

Quote:

I think it's more down to the nature of the amp.  It's linear into a huge range of loads with enough voltage swing for the higher impedance.  The Luxman amps could be doing something similar which is why they are reputably a good match. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #284 of 883
how well does the 009 work with a stock 323s amp ? 

I had the chance to compare the SR-009 with SRM-323S, SRM-006tS and SRM-007tII.
I'm almost scared to admit i really preferred the 323S to the others...
End of the story was I got the 323S for my 009's :)

SR-009 - Neutral
SR-007 - Slightly dark
HD800 - Bright

All measurements I've seen also generally confirm this

I had the chance yesterday to compare all 3 (SR-007mkII) and I completely agree :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back