Quest for non-Pleather 780 pads
Nov 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #77 of 81
Like every HFI-780 I had mayor  problems with the pleather pads.
My pads had cracks in the pleather after 2months , so I asked Ultrasone  and they helped me out with 2 new pairs of earpads.
But 1 year later ,they have cracks aswell.

I bought a pair of DT250 Velour Pads...
And those pads are the worst ! They are too big, too soft ,not super comfy, they get dirty when you're using your HFI-780 as a portable and sound is real bad.
The Bass-punch is gone, the mids aren't in balance anymore, the highs are forward ,the soundstage lost the S-Logic effect and direct and forward soundstage got lost.
It just sounds like a strange version of a ultrasone-sennheiser mix.

I kept searching and I found the perfect pads !
The Pads of the MDR-V6 are made of leather. They are just a little bit too small ,but they sound awsome and they are the most comfy pads you can possibly get.
The Bass is tighter than before ,the mids keep their balance ,only the highs are a bit more forward than before. The isolation is close to the original pads.

Next thing I would try is to put some felt behind the MDR-V6 pads to improve the bass-punch,to get closer to the original pad-sounding.

PS: The MDR-V6 pads don't get sold as a pair ,so you've to order 2 single pads. I bought them at thomann.de for 37€

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #78 of 81
I experienced exactly the same with the original and the Beyer pads. Since the price of the original pads increased lately I bit the bullet and got some Edition 9 pads.
They're extremely comfortable (soft high quality leather) and keep the sound where it's meant to be and improve it even more. The seal is also much better for me and I can keep them on my head for hours and hours without any sweat or pain (I also got a velours head band strip from the Pro 900). As the inside of the cups would have remained naked otherwise I used two pieces of foam I had from the Beyer pads to cover the rather cold screen above the speaker.
A pricy upgrade but definitely the best pair of phones I've had.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #79 of 81
this seems like a good option to me... anyone else try this and get good results? By "too small" do you mean that the mounting on the cup is a bit small or that the pad is too small for your ears?

Quote:
Like every HFI-780 I had mayor  problems with the pleather pads.
My pads had cracks in the pleather after 2months , so I asked Ultrasone  and they helped me out with 2 new pairs of earpads.
But 1 year later ,they have cracks aswell.

I bought a pair of DT250 Velour Pads...
And those pads are the worst ! They are too big, too soft ,not super comfy, they get dirty when you're using your HFI-780 as a portable and sound is real bad.
The Bass-punch is gone, the mids aren't in balance anymore, the highs are forward ,the soundstage lost the S-Logic effect and direct and forward soundstage got lost.
It just sounds like a strange version of a ultrasone-sennheiser mix.

I kept searching and I found the perfect pads !
The Pads of the MDR-V6 are made of leather. They are just a little bit too small ,but they sound awsome and they are the most comfy pads you can possibly get.
The Bass is tighter than before ,the mids keep their balance ,only the highs are a bit more forward than before. The isolation is close to the original pads.

Next thing I would try is to put some felt behind the MDR-V6 pads to improve the bass-punch,to get closer to the original pad-sounding.

PS: The MDR-V6 pads don't get sold as a pair ,so you've to order 2 single pads. I bought them at thomann.de for 37€

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #81 of 81
I thought for sure that I had posted this in this thread, but when I went back to look for it, I could not find it.  I did plunk down the $100+ for the E9 leather pads for my ALO 780 phones - which I've been using now for a little over two years.  Given that I spent about $650 on the original 780 phones, plus the ALO Mods to them, and that I enjoy their sound SO much - still do to this day, they are one of my most highly valued phones for their sound - it makes a lot of sense (to me) to have spent the $$ for a really comfortable set of pads for them which do not change the sound from the phones in any way that I would consider to be a detraction from the great sound of the ALO-780.  This entire set of phones - from the initial purchase, through the mods and the E9 pads, is one of the best ways that I've ever spent money on audio gear through which to listen to the music that makes my life a better "place" to live.  They sound SO amazing with the MAD Ear+ HD tube amp (tubed with my favorite tubes), from the large base (bass), up through the midrange-from-audio-heaven and up again through the clearest, cleanest, most gorgeously illuminated high end I think I've ever heard.  Every time I crank up the MAD (always with the ALO-780 attached), it's a really special audio treat, a precious gift that I give myself - and one made all the more enjoyable and comfortable with the E9 leather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back