Quattro de mayo Seattle meet impressions
May 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:
It was actually pretty good for a $100 portable headphone amplifier. It didn't quite have a flat sound from my listening (it had a slight emphasis on the upper-midrange and mid-bass), but it paired nicely with the V-MODA Crossfade M-100. The ability to customise the sound is also a nice addition for when it works. I liked it with the M-100 over the FiiO E12 that I have since that has more of a smooth, laid-back sound with a treble roll-off that doesn't match the M-100's treble response.

I liked the overall sound of the HE-500 compared to the LCD-2, especially the airy presentation of instruments, but to me the LCD-2 nailed it with the tonality of instruments and had a very smooth sound signature. If only the treble spike of the HE-500 wasn't there I might like it even more; and if only the LCD-2 was less heavy I might like it more. The sound of the HE-500 can be compensated with amps, mods, and sources though.

The other differentiation is that we were using our own DAP's to compare each others gear.  I was thinking about that last night and how that has a profound effect on our perception of each others gear.  I loved the O2 and wished I would have tried my DT 770's with it.  AS for the C5, I know everyone says the C5 and O2 are very close, I didn't come away with the same feeling.   Of course that was with my DAP, I'm sure through your iPhoe 4 it sounds completely different due to it's sound signature.  It's also easier to evaluate gear in your own enviornment (space) to make a more accurate analysis of what you're hearing.

Thanks Mice by the way for sharing your space with me and letting me try your amps.  I was really looking forward to trying the C5, and I got to.  Next time I'll try it with the iPhone and my iPod Video.  I was pleasantly surprised with the O2 and that may be on my shortlist of things to buy.  Everyone was very kind and laid back and I'm looking forward to the next meet. 

Thanks to all.

May 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #33 of 62
Argh, wrote a long reply and lost it! Lots of info about the DAC on the Bottlehead Forum in the Digital sub forum. Most current info is in a thread titled "taking orders" - which we aren't just yet.

May 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:
I am a non-denominational gin drinker. Way too many great choices these days to stick with just one distiller, each selected for the prevaling mood and weather. This warm weather makes me yearn for the citrusy finish of #10, perhaps with a cube of bacon laced cheedar. Keith's gin with its yeasty nose and sprucey bite makes me want to sit by the fire in a snow storm. In a celebratory mood I follow my dear old dad's que and sip Bombay up with a twist of lemon. In fact all this gin talk makes me realize it's about time I made another batch of my own recipe, an ex-pastry chef's gin with a nice cinnamon bite, a little mandarin ornage peel, and just a wee hint of ginger...thanks for reminding me.

your recipe sounds yummy!
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #35 of 62
Great times and good folks!  Thanks Doc for letting me use your transport for a little while.  It's motivating me to upgrade that part of my signal chain sometime soon.

I didn't take notes on my impressions this time around, but appreciated the chance to hear new stuff.  And stuff I've heard before.  Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy the first time I heard them.

May 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #36 of 62
My pleasure, Ethan. Thanks for letting me use your transport to help debug my DAC! Would love to do a side by side with the BADA, sometime. Phlash, Michael and Rene definitely know what they are doing. Thanks also for letting me verify that the new amp has plenty of beans to run your LCD-2s.

May 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #38 of 62
Quote:
Thanks Gil and Stan for putting on another great meet! Really fun group of people this time, lots of good conversation. One thing I learned was that we probably don't want a one hour startup delay on the new DAC...oh and that library branch might want to invest in more than six tables. Thanks to Brain and Ethan for letting ol' Doc crowd in with you.

And thanks for everyone being patient about getting a turn listen. Something that struck me is with the prevalence of computer based systems attendees might want to bring some favorite sample tracks in an uncompressed format on a thumb drive rather than silver discs. Even with a 1TB drive nearly full a lot of folks were not able to find something familiar on my server, and experience indicates that silver disc drives don't sound as good as solid state drives. This possibly reflects upon my personal taste a bit badly (what, you don't all love electric blues and soul jazz?) Anyway a thumb drive could make for a simpler and more speedy approach to hearing a system's full capabilities, as we were getting bogged down ripping songs to a hard drive to be able to hear them at their best.

Hey I had such a good time, how 'bout all y'all come over to our place for the next meet? Since we have the brewery up and running, and what with the distillery we have across the parking lot I have gone to the trouble to have a winery put in right next door to us as well - a veritable trifecta of alcohol within crawling distance of our front door.

A little planning will be necessary because our joint has filled up a bit since the last meet we had there, a new system in the front room and furniture in the upstairs room. I'll see if maybe the landlord will have a big space available in one of the other buildings so we could spread out a bit.

How did I miss this??? It slipped right under my nose ):

Do let us know when/where you or anyone is gonna have another one of these meets, I would really be interested in attending as a budding Head-fi'er :D

~will bring portable monstrosity~

May 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 62
I'm a kind of mid-fi/portable guy at the moment, so most of my stuff is portable or transportable.

A suggestion for BIG POPPA, or other members, for future meets: it would be nice if there was an announcement made in the last meet's thread informing any subscribers of the next meet since not everyone here checks the "meets" section on Head-Fi.

May 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 62
There's a FB group, just send me your info (anyone reading) and I'll invite you. Not that there was a ton of chatter before hand, but better than nothing.

I had a great time. I think the Fostex on the ECBA was just killer. Many thanks for Josh/KingStyles for bringing an adapter. I'll add that to my list of must haves. I've positively decided to buy at least 3 amps since the meet :) I think I'll pick up a ZDSE. I've changed my mind at least 3 times though. Those light blub amps sure sounded good with the Fostex. I think we sold a few Fostex's at the meet. It made a few rounds.

I'm surprised the SDJ didn't get around much. To note: It is rather pedestrian looking. It gets a lot of my head time though. What did you think Mice?

I think I'll bring a hand full of thumb drives for the next meet. They are a whole $5 and you can put all your favorite songs on them. Good thought Doc.

May 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #41 of 62
I'll be at the next one!

Who is the lucky owner of that Coffman Labs G1-A? I'm currently reviewing his new model, the H1-A. They are truly amazing instruments.

-sheldon

May 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

A suggestion for BIG POPPA, or other members, for future meets: it would be nice if there was an announcement made in the last meet's thread informing any subscribers of the next meet since not everyone here checks the "meets" section on Head-Fi.

I second this!

May 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #43 of 62
I'm a kind of mid-fi/portable guy at the moment, so most of my stuff is portable or transportable.

Uum, the meet threads usually get off track after the meet happens and gets lock by mods. Would be great but realistically....... We have a fb page... This helps .

May 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #44 of 62
I don't know, but I used to be a huge HP kinda guy but got away from it for a long time. Just recently got back into it again. Sort of expensive starting over but I still had a couple headphones left (in the closet) and my old amp. I have since got a new dac/tube amp and another phone, but still have a long way to go. I would be interested in attending the next meet for sure, I live up north in Everett but if I have enough notice I can make it down to Seattle or where ever you have these. If you want I can bring some stuff, but I don't have anything awe inspiring just yet, unless you count my HD600s :)

May 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #45 of 62
HD600 are really good sounding, accurate headphones and a bargain at their price point. Though I have the HD800, I still keep the HD600 as I am familiar with them as a long term reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back