Quattro de mayo Seattle meet impressions
May 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

BIG POPPA

Headphoneus Supremus
Just noticed no impression thread has been started. Got the tail, end got to listen to the DNA Status. Give impressions later. I'm tired.

May 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 62
Thanks Gil and Stan for putting on another great meet! Really fun group of people this time, lots of good conversation. One thing I learned was that we probably don't want a one hour startup delay on the new DAC...oh and that library branch might want to invest in more than six tables. Thanks to Brain and Ethan for letting ol' Doc crowd in with you.

And thanks for everyone being patient about getting a turn listen. Something that struck me is with the prevalence of computer based systems attendees might want to bring some favorite sample tracks in an uncompressed format on a thumb drive rather than silver discs. Even with a 1TB drive nearly full a lot of folks were not able to find something familiar on my server, and experience indicates that silver disc drives don't sound as good as solid state drives. This possibly reflects upon my personal taste a bit badly (what, you don't all love electric blues and soul jazz?) Anyway a thumb drive could make for a simpler and more speedy approach to hearing a system's full capabilities, as we were getting bogged down ripping songs to a hard drive to be able to hear them at their best.

Hey I had such a good time, how 'bout all y'all come over to our place for the next meet? Since we have the brewery up and running, and what with the distillery we have across the parking lot I have gone to the trouble to have a winery put in right next door to us as well - a veritable trifecta of alcohol within crawling distance of our front door.

A little planning will be necessary because our joint has filled up a bit since the last meet we had there, a new system in the front room and furniture in the upstairs room. I'll see if maybe the landlord will have a big space available in one of the other buildings so we could spread out a bit.

May 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 62
[size=medium]A very good meet. Terry Olson of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society travelled from Duvall to hear the gear and get an idea of how the Head-Fi meets work. We may arrange a meet at the PNWAS venue in future.[/size]
[size=medium]I liked the Woo WA7 paired with Beyerdynamic T90, I believe were the cans. [/size]
[size=medium]Doc B’s modified HD800 tamed the 5k-ish peak I cannot abide and could make me a believer in these headphones. Dan’s plans for Bottlehead’s DAC would allow for extensive customization. We will be eager to hear it’s next iteration, perhaps at this summer’s meet there.[/size]
[size=medium]Palmfish brought a Pioneer receiver with a headphone circuit well-matched to the HD800.[/size]
[size=medium]Thanks to Coffman for exhibiting their preamp with phono stage and headphone amp for our appraisal. Selectable impedance allowed the LCD-2 to supply optimal sound quality paired with their unit. The open chassis on display showed the care taken in the design and build of their electronics.[/size]
[size=medium]KingStyles awesome rig delighted per usual.[/size]
[size=medium]Thanks to everyone who attended and to those who shared their equipment so graciously.[/size]

May 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 62
What an auditory delight! The ability to compare and contrast so many different high quality headphones, amps and combinations was amazing, if not a little overwhelming. A big thank-you to all that shared their rigs and their thoughts so generously. One important take away for me was the exposure to a considerable number of artists and albums that will be on my list for new music to acquire.

May 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 62
I'm still phased about about yesterday's Head-Fi meet. XD

Highlights were Equus's LCD-2's sounding awesome on my ODAC/Objective 2 setup, hearing a custom [silver] cable for the first time (thanks Dark Helmet!) and me not liking the HE-500 as much as I thought I did since it has an annoying treble peak right where cymbal crashes are.

The Meeting Room

Silver Cables! :xf_eek:

M-100 and Silver Interconnect Cable

AKG K 701 with Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies

Portable Amplifier Comparison

Audeze LCD-2 (Late Rev. 2)

HiFiMAN HE-500

A big thank you to BIG POPPA and Stan (sorry I forgot your Head-Fi username) for putting together the meet! I had a lot of fun listening to people's rigs and headphones more carefully this time around.

Thank you to Coffman Labs for letting us hear and see your incredibly beautiful amplifiers. It was neat to hear some of the back-story behind the design of the amps (i.e. exposed copper wiring).

Thank you to Doc B. for setting up the new Bottlehead DAC prototype. Unfortunately I didn't get around to listen to it, but I guess that's what I'll be doing in the next meet! As with Equus, the only time I really enjoyed the HD800 was out of the Bottlehead rigs back in the 2011 Queen Anne Library and the 2012 Front Panel Express meets.

May 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:
@miceblue: nice pictures and videos, thank-you. One point of clarification, the WA7 is an all tube, transformer output amp, not a hybrid.

Yup, I noted that in the video's description. I thought it was a hybrid [amp] because I got confused with people calling it a [DAC/amp] hybrid.

May 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 62
How was the upcoming BH amp!?

May 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 62
Tessa and I had a great time. Thanks to Doc B for letting me spend time with his new amp and DAC (I was impressed with and enjoyed them both) and A/B his Anax modded 800's with my stock 800's. Yes, I installed the mod today on my own 800s!

Other highlights for me included finally auditioning the Fostex TH-900 - I've been very anxious to hear them for some time!

I also enjoyed toting my 800's around to the various tube setups to hear how they sound. Ive been a staunch solid state guy but I'm slowly coming around to accepting the possibility that there is room in this hobby for certain kinds of harmonic distortion.
wink.gif

Looking forward to the next meet!

May 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 62
I've been thinking about getting headphones, and when I found out about this meet, I figured it would be a good opportunity to check out a few.  I had no idea what I was in for!  I'm sure everyone had their own "favorites", but in all fairness, each has its own strengths above others in comparison. 

In no particular order, I tried on several Sennheiser's -- HD 650 and 800, some Audeze LCD-2 and I believe one LCD-3, an AKG AK701, Denon, AH-D2000, Audio Technica, HiFiman HE-500, and a Beyerdynamic T-90.  I'm sure there were a few others that I didn't get a chance to check out. 

I can see why the Sennheiser's are so popular.  They all sound good.  All very easy listening.  Doc had a mod on his 800's, which attenuated some of the higher frequency stuff.  Everyone I talked to thought that it was quite an improvement.  What else would you expect from Doc?!! 

The LCD-2's and -3's are beautiful -- both in sound, and to the eye.  The look of wood grain is always a favorite, and it's a nice match with the great sound. 

If I had to pick one for the best sound, my preference would be the HE-500.  Unbelievably revealing, these were very easy to listen to, and pleasurable.  The sound from the HE-500's mimicked a live performance, all with a nice balance throughout the audio spectrum. 

I also really liked the T-90's.  In addition to good quality sound, they were very comfortable for me, and they felt very lightweight.  To me, these had the best of several aspects that I'm looking for -- easy to listen to, comfortable, and light weight. 

Does anyone have info on other Beyerdynamic models, such as the Custom One Pro, or the DT1350, or others?  I'm looking for something in the $200-$400 range, easy listening, and perhaps as comfortable and lightweight as the T-90's. 

Again, I'd have to say everything there sounded good, just some out-shined others in certain areas.  I can honestly say that I have an appreciation for all the time and effort that goes into each and every system there.  Just wish there was infinite time to check out all of the combinations of headphones and all of the DAC's, amps, etc. 

It was my first headphone meet. Nice bunch of people -- not to mention the wide variety of nice gear!  Hats off to everyone who brought their gear and helped put on a great event! 

May 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:
I've been thinking about getting headphones, and when I found out about this meet, I figured it would be a good opportunity to check out a few.  I had no idea what I was in for!  I'm sure everyone had their own "favorites", but in all fairness, each has its own strengths above others in comparison. 

In no particular order, I tried on several Sennheiser's -- HD 650 and 800, some Audeze LCD-2 and I believe one LCD-3, an AKG AK701, Denon, AH-D2000, Audio Technica, HiFiman HE-500, and a Beyerdynamic T-90.  I'm sure there were a few others that I didn't get a chance to check out. 

I can see why the Sennheiser's are so popular.  They all sound good.  All very easy listening.  Doc had a mod on his 800's, which attenuated some of the higher frequency stuff.  Everyone I talked to thought that it was quite an improvement.  What else would you expect from Doc?!! 

The LCD-2's and -3's are beautiful -- both in sound, and to the eye.  The look of wood grain is always a favorite, and it's a nice match with the great sound. 

If I had to pick one for the best sound, my preference would be the HE-500.  Unbelievably revealing, these were very easy to listen to, and pleasurable.  The sound from the HE-500's mimicked a live performance, all with a nice balance throughout the audio spectrum. 

I also really liked the T-90's.  In addition to good quality sound, they were very comfortable for me, and they felt very lightweight.  To me, these had the best of several aspects that I'm looking for -- easy to listen to, comfortable, and light weight. 

Does anyone have info on other Beyerdynamic models, such as the Custom One Pro, or the DT1350, or others?  I'm looking for something in the $200-$400 range, easy listening, and perhaps as comfortable and lightweight as the T-90's. 

Again, I'd have to say everything there sounded good, just some out-shined others in certain areas.  I can honestly say that I have an appreciation for all the time and effort that goes into each and every system there.  Just wish there was infinite time to check out all of the combinations of headphones and all of the DAC's, amps, etc. 

It was my first headphone meet. Nice bunch of people -- not to mention the wide variety of nice gear!  Hats off to everyone who brought their gear and helped put on a great event! 

Beyerdynamic DT880/DT990. Honestly, I'd get a HD650 in your situation. I received them Friday, and they are so easy to listen to- its ridiculous. I have the HD650 and DT880 also. I'd recommend taking advantage of Razordogaudio's 14-day return policy(10% restocking fee(($40 or nothing if you want to get another headphone)) I know you listened to the HD650 yesterday, but I didn't really like the HD650 at first, I thought they were good, and relaxing, but nothing more. Now after about 5-10 hours(only, I hope they only get better
size]
) they have improved greatly, maybe because I'm getting used to them. They now sound extremely romantic to me, and very musical. That would be my recommendation to you. 

May 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 62
@dave r: listen to sennheiser hd600 and hd650. I still use the hd600 for transparent listening on a solid state rig,, and also the auditory equivalent of rose colored glasses when paired with a Woo WA3. They run approx. $400. The hd650 have a little more bass at the expense of slightly muddied upper mids to my ears. 650s run approx. $500. Both are extremely comfortable for long sessions.

May 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 62
Thanks guys for all the kind words. But props to Tyll Hertsens for the HD800 foam and felt mod. I just copied his work verbatim. The balanced cable however was my own deal and I think it was contributing a bit to the better sound too. It was simply Mogami mini quad, which is the only thing I could find that would even begin to attach to those completely arcane HD800 connectors that Cardas was kind enough to replicate. Don't take on making a cable for HD800s unless you are very proficient at cursing.

May 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 62
Quote:
@dave r: listen to sennheiser hd600 and hd650. I still use the hd600 for transparent listening on a solid state rig,, and also the auditory equivalent of rose colored glasses when paired with a Woo WA3. They run approx. $400. The hd650 have a little more bass at the expense of slightly muddied upper mids to my ears. 650s run approx. $500. Both are extremely comfortable for long sessions.

From Razordog the HD650's are $400 and the HD600's are $320(email him for the code)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back