Quality sound cards with USB outputs?
Jun 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kraychik

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm a relative newbie to this type of stuff but I'm hoping someone can explain something to me. Why is it so rare to find high quality sound cards with USB outputs? I was told on another forum that 3.5/6.5 mm outputs are superior to USB for transmitting audio, and I've since learned that USB 1.1 (not sure about the 2.0 standard) output has audio limitations not shared by its 3.5/6.5 mm output counterpart. Hopefully it isn't too complicated to explain why this is the case? Also, will we ever see high quality audio streamed through USB via a sound card so that high-quality USB-interface audio devices can realize their full potential: i.e. speakers and headsets?

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB outputs? inputs you mean? and do you mean 3.5/6.35 TRS connectors? not clear your question is.

I mean USB outputs. Why do quality soundcards more often than not abandon having a USB output in addition to their 3.5 mm outputs (front, sub, line/mic in, etc)? Is there some sort of limitation on USB with respect to sound cards when transmitting the sound via USB?

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely a "soundcard with usb" is the USB controller on your motherboard?

Right, but is there a solution for wanting to use USB audio hardware like speakers or a headset with a high quality soundcard (directly, via a USB output that is a part of the souncard) rather than connecting to the motherboard's USB controller? I'm guessing there's something(s) (or a lot of things!) I don't understand, here...

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol? A computer has USB out, a sound card does not and does not need it.

But wouldn't a USB output aboard the soundcard permit a USB-connected audio device such as a headset or speakers to be directly connected to it, therefore allowing the device to take advantage of the high quality audio components of the sound card?

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kraychik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But wouldn't a USB output aboard the soundcard permit a USB-connected audio device such as a headset or speakers to be directly connect to it, therefore allowing the device to take advantage of the high quality audio components of the sound card?

In a nutshell, no. You won't take advantage of anything with USB audio devices, as that USB audio device has it's own DAC. USB data is digital.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 17
You commented on my primer, please do go back and read it!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

In a nutshell, no. You won't take advantage of anything with USB audio devices, as that USB audio device has it's own DAC. USB data is digital.

Ok I think I get it. Signal MUST be converted to analog in order to be listed to, right? So a USB-connected audio device such as a headset or speakers internally converts the digital signal it receives via USB (from the motherbnoard's USB port, for example) to analog before transmitting it to our ears, right?

If I understand this correctly, this makes is unlikely that we'll have great audio quality via USB hardware (speakers or headsets), eh?

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You commented on my primer, please do go back and read it!
biggrin.gif

I tried my best to understand it, most of it was over my head. I read through the whole thread! I must say I was really digging the picture graphs. Still, I'm a little confused with digital audio concepts.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Not true, as a USB DAC could be high end.

But do high-end USB DACs typically output their audio signals via 3.5/6.5mm jacks or USB ports?

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Why would a USB DAC have USB output? If it does, it's just a USB hub. Some newer full size gear have USB inputs (Lexicon MV-5) so the Lexicon's DAC circuit and pre-amp is used.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post with respect to what I was driving at. The reason I'm asking if the DAC has a USB output is to find out if its possible to have high quality sound with USB hardware such as USB-headsets or USB-speakers. Apparently it isn't possible. I am aware that you can have a high quality DAC with a USB input, but can quality audio not be transmitted via USB to the last step in the process: the speakers or headset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back