Mar 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #197 of 458

Quote:
I'm not having luck with either EQ app

iPhone 3Gs

EQu (purchased @ $2.99)
- song stutters very briefly, and happens about 5 times during each track
- I love the interface and attention to detail

EQ free
- all my songs played like Alvin and the Chipmunks! ... funny, but not useful at this point

Quote:
EQ Free doesn't work (or at least I am getting the same results as you) and doesn't seem to be supported. I'm not sure why it is even offered.

In regards to EQ Free, the developer said somewhere here that it was old and outdated. I can say that with 4th gen devices both of the paid apps work very well, but I have no experience with the older models.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #198 of 458

Quote:

did you try the "4 bands" option in the main settings section of the touch for the equalizer app.  I only ask b/c many of us didnt know it was there until the dev pointed it out.

Indeed, I did. I started with it off (default for my device), turned it on, then back off again later. Made no difference.

Thanks for the advice, but it honestly makes no difference to me in this case - as I've just ordered a clip+. It's Rockbox time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #199 of 458

I messed with it some more...still doesn't work...if you have to create a playlist that's not what I wanted anyway.Would be nice if it were integrated more but I guess apple wouldn't allow that...the stock eq really sucks bad.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #200 of 458
Audioforge:
I just downloaded your equalizer app after reading about it in this forum, and I love it. I saw earlier you were taking suggestions for features people wanted to see. I have 2 which I would love.
1. I have all my music organized by genre, and this is how I browse my tunes, I would love to see a way to add music to the playlist with a "genre" column. I think this would be much more useful than "songs" for example... but maybe that just me I have over 10k songs on my ipod. Anyway, if we could choose which way we wanted to select our music that would be HUGE, but any way to use genre would make me  happy.

2. Is there a way to make songs played through your app change the play counts in the itunes database file? I use last.fm and I have an app that will scrobble my tracks based off of the play counts, but it doesn't work when playing music through your app. Choosing between eq and last.fm scrobbling is actually quite painful for me (although I invariably choose the better sounding music) because I am such a last.fm junkie. If you could in any way support scrobbling that would be AWESOME!!!

Well let me know what you think of the possibility of implementing these, and either way thanks for the great app.
--Rob

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #201 of 458

Quote:
Just a heads up that a big update for Equalizer has been approved just now:

- No more delay on start up if you choose to use the simple playlist mode (default now). You can get the old playlist mode in the settings app.
- Background optimized mode (set in the settings screen and terminate and relaunch app to make it stick) that prevents most skipping in multitasking (no visualization though).
- More presets
- undo shuffle button
- portrait orientation for all direct mode screens
- small rendering of the current eq curve in all screens. tap on it to get to the curve screen
- more fixes under the hood

It will be available during the course of today.

In the simple playlist mode, choosing an artist lists all of their songs, as opposed to listing either songs or albums....a listing of both songs and albums from an artist would be preferable, like in the complex playlist (or the iPod's native mode). I'm sure the simple mode is great for those who just add all songs on their device and shuffle though.

The EQ curve being on all screens is nice, and the portrait mode is a nice option to have too. I never multitask when listening, so I can't speak to the background optimized as being helpful or not. While I do like that the simple playlist mode skips  the startup scan, I still prefer the complex playlist's usability otherwise, so for now I will stick with that and just remember to delete my playlist before I shut down the app.

Thanks for your continued efforts!
L3000.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #205 of 458
I haven't tried it again since I gave been busy.
Usually I use a lod and ibasso amp
,when I had the skipping I was using the headphone
Out. Not sure if it is connected or just is the new
Build.
I haven't had any equ trouble in the past .

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #206 of 458

Quote:
when use equalizer's background mode, and unplug my headphones a box comes up saying i unplugged, ans aske me if i want to stop or play.   i plug my headphones back in, press the play option, and nothing happens.  The progress bar indicates the song has started over, but it does not move and i get no sound.  i have to manually hit play on the song itself,and then scroll back to where i left off

in simple playlist mode could you make it so we can browse in the same way as the normal ipod app, like you have done for complex playlist mode.  also be sure that when sorting by artist, each album is choosable independantly.
right now im simple playlist mode if i browse by artist, i get all songs listed by that artist.  minorly annoying.. especially when i want ot browse by artist, then shuffle a single album of theirs

Weird, the resume was tested extensively. Will see if I can find out what's wrong for the next update.
As for play list selection: This was requested as a feature, to have the artist list show all songs on all albums of this artist. So if you want to listen to all the albums of one artist in album order, you could do that. I guess different people will always ask for different things. I suggest you just remove the songs you do not want by hitting the edit button when you play your artist.

Quote:
I was so very excited when I saw this thread. "Finally!", thought I, "my ipod touch won't suck as much!"

Sadly, it seems, the suck is still very much with me. My old 2G touch isn't even supported to run EQu, and as for equalizer - no matter how much I "dumb down" the settings I get an initial pop-up message saying my device is too old and slow to run it properly, and - sure enough - the app starts skipping and crashes by the 2nd song.

I don't blame the developer(s), though. It really does seem like a great set of products for those that can make use of it. It's just time for me to upgrade to a clip+. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, Equalizer was tested on several 2G devices and was found to work quite will. One of the testers pushed for 4 bands (even 5 to some extent) so I added the option. It's not quite clear to me though if you are running iOS4.1 or higher. If not, you will not have much success with Equalizer. Please double check your iOS version and post back. Thanks.

EQ free has an issue with sampling rates other than 44100 Hz. So if your tunes sound like chipmunks, thats because EQ free does not take different sampling rates into account. This has been fixed in Equalizer a long time ago but EQ free, being free did not receive the same TLC. Yet, if you use 44100 Hz audio, your can get an idea of the sound quality. That's why EQ free is still available.

Quote:
Audioforge:
I just downloaded your equalizer app after reading about it in this forum, and I love it. I saw earlier you were taking suggestions for features people wanted to see. I have 2 which I would love.
1. I have all my music organized by genre, and this is how I browse my tunes, I would love to see a way to add music to the playlist with a "genre" column. I think this would be much more useful than "songs" for example... but maybe that just me I have over 10k songs on my ipod. Anyway, if we could choose which way we wanted to select our music that would be HUGE, but any way to use genre would make me  happy.

2. Is there a way to make songs played through your app change the play counts in the itunes database file? I use last.fm and I have an app that will scrobble my tracks based off of the play counts, but it doesn't work when playing music through your app. Choosing between eq and last.fm scrobbling is actually quite painful for me (although I invariably choose the better sounding music) because I am such a last.fm junkie. If you could in any way support scrobbling that would be AWESOME!!!

Well let me know what you think of the possibility of implementing these, and either way thanks for the great app.
--Rob

Genre, eh? Ok, will see what I can do. I could envision adding a genre selection to the right of the album selection. To reach it, you might have to swipe to the right... Not sure yet. The space on these iPhone screens is just so limited...
Play count is definitely doable. Will investigate.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #207 of 458
Hey Audioforge--
Yeah so I found in the settings where you included the option to turn of the simple playlist. This allows me to manage the music how I like, I probably would have noticed this sooner--but I just started using your app and had never seen this "old" system. Awesome job letting people pick the method they like better. Really looking forward to (potentially) the last.fm support so thanks for looking at it. I'll buy the app a second time if you get it working
beerchug.gif

Cheers,
--Rob

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #208 of 458
I have been looking for a custom EQ for my iPodTouch and found this thread, but I'm still unclear about EQu and Equalizer. With both apps getting updates and fixing past issues, I can't keep track which does what and which still has problems. Can you guys help me sort out exactly where both apps stand currently in terms of:

1) Simply play from my playlists, by artist, by album, by genre...etc without any fuss. Just as if I was playing from the normal iPod player. 

2) No need to import songs--just use the EQ as a real-time DSP processor as it should be. 

3) Easily create custom EQ settings and switch between custom settings on the fly without problems. 

4) Does not drain the battery too fast. I can accept something like a 20% faster drain, but beyond that it would be unacceptable.

5) Does not push the CPU through the roof constantly.

6) Stable. Crash-proof.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #210 of 458

Quote:
They are both very cheap - so just buy em and try em.

They are both good and stable for my ipod touch 4g

I don't mind paying for both, but I would prefer to know beforehand which one of the two fits my 6 criterias better. I already have too many apps I have paid for but never use, because once I start to use them, I find problems not addressed in their advertising bullet-points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back