Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Jan 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #451 of 458
Why can't someone come up with an EQ app that can insert itself into the stock Music app? Or into the audio path so any app will be able to use it?

That would obviously be ideal. Is it possible to use Audiobus to do this? see http://audiob.us/

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #452 of 458
Unfortunately hooking into the audio output is not possible on iOS (unless you jailbreak).

As for Audiobus, we offer an app that supports Audiobus and provides the same sophisticated equalizer as our Equalizer app. The app is called Remaster and like Audiobus itself, it is geared more towards musicians/producers.

The trouble with the Audiobus is that your source audio needs to come from an app that also supports Audiobus. And the native music app and most streaming apps like Pandora do not support it.

The good news is that we just released an Equalizer for Beats Music and as such you can now use our eq technology for Beats Music streaming service. Oh, and it is a free app.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #453 of 458
Unfortunately hooking into the audio output is not possible on iOS (unless you jailbreak).

As for Audiobus, we offer an app that supports Audiobus and provides the same sophisticated equalizer as our Equalizer app. The app is called Remaster and like Audiobus itself, it is geared more towards musicians/producers.

The trouble with the Audiobus is that your source audio needs to come from an app that also supports Audiobus. And the native music app and most streaming apps like Pandora do not support it.

The good news is that we just released an Equalizer for Beats Music and as such you can now use our eq technology for Beats Music streaming service. Oh, and it is a free app.

I've emailed Pandora a couple of times over the past two years to get them to allow Audioforge access to the stream to no avail.  Wish we could get the ability to tailor the sound on streaming apps.................

Have you tried lately?  

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #454 of 458
I just read your comment about Pandora and have contacted them again. Let's hope there is more interest.

As for Spotify, they offer an API but their API does not allow to process the audio. That makes it kinda useless and I am trying to get them to change that but until then, I cannot use the API. Audioforge is a reputable company and we are not going to willfully break a licensing contract, even if other companies have no scruples...

Beats Music Streaming has now equalizer support (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer-for-beats-music/id889718638?mt=8) Let's see how Apple is going to push it...

You might want to consider trying Beats Music. It is not as bad as the reputation they have (you don't have to use their headphones!).

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #455 of 458
Just wanted to do a little thread necromancy here as I've stumbled upon something cool. I've been struggling with finding a quality audio player for iOS that can run my wireless drive as a media streamer to my iPad which can in turn sends a digital signal out to an iFi iDSD Micro. Every link in the chain is battery powered now. I just need an app that has both DLNA compatibility to access my drive, and a good in built equalizer for my subwoofin, lowriding tendencies.  

There are plenty of good Equalizer apps like EQu, Sonic Max Pro, and Equalizer and there are good DNLA streaming apps like 8Player and MConnect but it's been tricky finding something that does both. 

I found Neutron Music Player on the apps store and as best I can tell is has a robust set of Equalizer/DSP tools as well as DLNA, compatibility, Wav, FLAC, ALAC & AIFF compatibility. It does high res for those who use that, but apparently no DSD... Some out there may consider this a deal breaker. I am a Redbook guy so this is of little significance. 

Features include.... Parametric EQ, Surround DSP, Crossfeed, Rumble Filter DSP (low cut), dithering, pitch and tempo adjustments, volume normalization, replay gain, gapless playback, downmix to mono, and a spectrum analyzer.

Only knock would be the app is optimized for iPhone 5 with no iPad specific version (so it looks a bit overwrought on iPad) and the interface is a little rough looking. That aside... It's turns by deactivated iPhone 5 into a top notch transport. 

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #457 of 458
I believe restrictions on audio streams introduced in 2013 made this impossible, and likely caused the demise of the golden ears app. Because of tunings for their own headphones there's no incentive for them to allow 3rd party equalisation, so I'm doubtful we'll ever see this again. Instead the best we can hope for is that the best of the bluetooth headphones provide better equalizers and maybe could be prevailed upon to provide a parametric equalizer for fine tuning if enough people demanded it.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #458 of 458
It amazes me that most companies fail to provide something that is consider the single most important tool for any audio enthusiast or engineer…. A FREAKING EQUALIZER!!

Manufacturers, to the best of their capabilities very few of them offer a 10 or less NON customizable band EQ that very rarely works on the system level and commonly only works with their own proprietary music app. And this is a big MAYBE because most of them might come with a few presets or nothing at all.

If memory is w good, ever since I started about 15 years this is a rare, yet very basic and indispensable feature. The most basic tool for any body interested in audio. What a poor development we experience as consumers.

Not everything is so bad though, there are very few companies out there such as RME or Fiio whos engineering team actually has the capability to develop and implement fully customizable PEQ in their DACS to fully work at system level and not only with certain apps. As annother example, the miniDSP can do parametric equalizing and much more and it’s very affordable as well.

Thats why my money has mainly gone to such companies for the last 15 years, because they are not missing on the single most important and crucial audio tool that humans have in the audio world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back