Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Dec 7, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #287 of 458

Quote:
SonicMax Pro, nothing comes even close to it.

It's nice, but it still needs work. No gapless playback, for one. You can pick and choose any album in your collection, but it is from an alphabetical list of all the albums. If you choose artist, instead of a list of albums from each artist appearing you get an alphabetical song list according to artist instead.

However, if you tinker with it, you can make some fascinating changes....I had some pretty serious bass coming from my SR60i's the other day.
basshead.gif

It's worth noting, that these controls are far simpler to manipulate and tweak than those on the Cowon players.....they are all on the one screen, as opposed to having to go in and out of menus like I had to on my i9 and D2 when I had them.

I have enough players that I don't always use my Touch for just listening to music.....I use it more for podcasts and apps/games/email. If it was my only player, I'd still use Equalizer more than Sonic Max Pro though.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #288 of 458
At the same time, Sonic Max Pro is not a dedicated EQ. I use it for my K500 when I'm using it, as it adds a nice solid warm foundation to the lower end, but for my PortaPros or Marshmallows, I stick to Equalizer. I cannot get away from the queue playback, I would use the app if it only had that actually.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #289 of 458
Just looking at getting one of these apps guys. Which one do you suggest? If they were 69p id be inclined to grab them all, but at £1.99 id rather get the best one at the first buy. Im guessing the choice is between Equ, Equalizer and Stereophonic?

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #290 of 458
"equalizer" is the best hands down. - as i mentioned earlier in the thread he is going to be totally revamping it in about 2 months so it will be even better.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #291 of 458

Quote:
"equalizer" is the best hands down. - as i mentioned earlier in the thread he is going to be totally revamping it in about 2 months so it will be even better.

+1 on Equalizer.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #292 of 458

Quote:

Quote:
+1 on Equalizer.

Seems like Equalizer is the way to go then! So tell me, are custom eq's where the app shines? Or are the presets pretty damn good anyway? I only ask as im pretty new to all this, and have no idea what im listening/looking out for when it comes to custom settings.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #293 of 458

Quote:

Seems like Equalizer is the way to go then! So tell me, are custom eq's where the app shines? Or are the presets pretty damn good anyway? I only ask as im pretty new to all this, and have no idea what im listening/looking out for when it comes to custom settings.

I'm not a fan of presets at all. If you have a windows PC, install foobar2000 on it, and there is a spectrum analyzer you can display. Tinkering with the EQ in foobar while looking at the spectrum display will give you an idea what frequencies = what sounds you hear. Once you get a handle on that, you can set each of the seven bands in Equalizer to whatever frequency you wish.....so it's truly customizable. It will take a little time and effort but it is worth it in the end.
L3000.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #294 of 458
it shines in its overall usability and just all around good design.  Of course the eq itself is also very well implemented, and effective. 

eq is one of those things that has a very wide range of uses depending on who you ask. for example:  Some people like presets, some people like eq'ing to make their headphones sound more to their personal taste, while others like to eq to as close to true neutral as possible.   Its more of a persona opinion.   Some eq's are implemented better than others and are therefore more effective than others, or less likely to produce distortion. 

This eq has a pre-amp volume which makes it easy to lower the Pre-eq volume so that i you introduce large peaks it wont cause clipping or distortion.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #295 of 458
Jan 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #296 of 458

Quote:
I'm not a fan of presets at all. If you have a windows PC, install foobar2000 on it, and there is a spectrum analyzer you can display. Tinkering with the EQ in foobar while looking at the spectrum display will give you an idea what frequencies = what sounds you hear. Once you get a handle on that, you can set each of the seven bands in Equalizer to whatever frequency you wish.....so it's truly customizable. It will take a little time and effort but it is worth it in the end.
L3000.gif

Anything similar on the mac?

Quote:
it shines in its overall usability and just all around good design.  Of course the eq itself is also very well implemented, and effective. 

eq is one of those things that has a very wide range of uses depending on who you ask. for example:  Some people like presets, some people like eq'ing to make their headphones sound more to their personal taste, while others like to eq to as close to true neutral as possible.   Its more of a persona opinion.   Some eq's are implemented better than others and are therefore more effective than others, or less likely to produce distortion. 

This eq has a pre-amp volume which makes it easy to lower the Pre-eq volume so that i you introduce large peaks it wont cause clipping or distortion.

Quote:
by the way, here are in my opinion some of the most definitive explanations of neutral, and truly eqing your headphones to as close to neutral as possible.

Misconception of "neutral / accurate"

My EQ curves for LCD-2, HD650, M50, and 007mk2

its true, using eq, depending on what you are going for, can take a bit of learning, but yes, the results can be well worth it.

Thanks for that mate, ill have a read through them. Probably wont understand it though lol.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #297 of 458

Quote:

Anything similar on the mac?

On the Mac, honestly, I have no idea. My last exposure to a Mac computer was the Apple IIe in eigth grade, a long time ago...lol

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #298 of 458
So I've bought Equalizer, but I'm not sure I'll use it much.

Sounds good, but it's frustrating to navigate around. Id like to remember where I've got to when listening to podcasts. And every time I change the preset, it throws me on to another screen that I have no idea what it's for. I have to press "back to curve" to get off it.

I'm still glad I bought it, as I'm interested in how the app develops. I'll have to spend more time with it.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #299 of 458
well if you have suggestions i suggest contacting the dev.  He's responsive, and welcome's suggestions, and he's in the midst of overhauling the app, so now's the time :wink:

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #300 of 458

Quote:
well if you have suggestions i suggest contacting the dev.  He's responsive, and welcome's suggestions, and he's in the midst of overhauling the app, so now's the time :wink:

Equalizer should have the ability to scrobble tracks on last.fm. Wish the dev implements some way to add last.fm scrobbling
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back