Quality earphones/IEMs for under $75?
Aug 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JiggyJones

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for a pair of earphones/IEMs to replace my portable setup (M50s). They have to be the best sound quality/price ratio, and under $75.

Thanks!
atsmile.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 12
Impossible to suggest anything without any other information, not to mention the fact that my favorite quality/price earphone will likely not be someone else's.

What kind of music, what is your source, will they be amped, etc.  Little more info is needed before anyone can even start to suggest anything.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 12
I listen to Indie Rock, Electronica, Techno, and Bass-heavy music. So, I would prefer an abundance of bass. I am going to amp it with an Fiio E5. My source will be an iPod Classic 7th Gen.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 12
Aug 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Sony EX510 are highely recommended because crsip, clear mids, high and good bass with wide soundstage. Others IEMs are like RE0, HF3, M2 and Bose IE.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
What is the sound signature of the M2s? does the bass overwhelm the mids? I wouldn't want that. I like the sound signature of the M50s, is it like that?

Yes...very similar to the M50s in my opinion.  They don't overwhelm the mids/highs at all...pretty balanced with a slight edge on the low end.  They are fantastic headphones at the price point you have requested.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Uhm, yes, the lows do overwhelm everything in M2s. That's why I needed to equalize them. The key word is "needed". R07 are pretty decent without eq, but they do like the high frequency boosts that counters some general high frequency rolloff which is more apparent with silicone tips than foams, suprisingly. Boosting subbass is also nice - they have the capability to be linear down to 20 Hz with proper seal.

M2 can go down to 18 Hz, but need more eq overall, both the bass cut (more by 3 dB and also wider), the sibilance cut (also 3 dB and wider) - and they're less extended up by >1 kHz, which is pretty noticeable difference in clarity.
Plus they're nowhere near as comfortable due to large nozzle diameter.
The sibilance of R07 seems to vary from pair to pair by some dB - one pair had annoying amounts, the new one has some 3 dB (50%) less of it.

Specifically, R07 are like tamed M2. Quite unsuprising, since these were designed by the same company (VSonic used to be called Visang; Brainwavz M2 is tuned Visang R03.)

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Disagree about needing EQ, but whatever.  I do agree, the fit isn't the greatest, but I've got strange ears apparently.  I have fit issues with a lot of headphones that most people love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back