quality cans for hip hop with powerfull bass, but also clear hi's
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

auser

New Head-Fier
whats up

im looking for headphones that provide great bass without losing to much on mid's and hi's.
i am really into kendrick lamar, action bronson and other good current hip hop (southern rap excluded!) and 90's rap as well.
i was wondering if you guys could recommend anything up to 150$? (if it's really woth the money please don't hesitate to recommend more expensive options)
thank you!

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 20
ATH-M50 (i did not like them personally, but i think you would)

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 20
yo i loveeee action bronson and the new kendrick album is aight to lol still havent really listened to  all the way thru, been too busy listening to the sean price mic tyson album, and i almost always listen to 90's or underground/backpack type rap (el p, cannibal ox, mf doom) so mids with bass along with them are equally important, personally i always use my monoprice 8323's, these are only 20 dollar headphones, but they outperform my sony xb1000's xb500's ath pro700mk2's and a bunch of other portable headphones i own that are each $200 or better

they have crystal clear smooth mids and bass that stacks up right along with it, doesnt overpower but it doesnt sit in the background either, u do have to switch out the pads with m50 pads to

BUT...

Since you do have more than 200 dollars to play around with, i'd also suggest the ath m50's, i've never heard these but these are like the most recommended headphones on headfi and are also compared very favorably to the monoprice headphones soundwise. i've read they sound really really similar but the m50's have better highs

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 20
first of all i love your taste! new sean price album is killer. i will check out both your recommendations, the ones for only 20$ sound really interesting though. btw you should really listen through the full kendrick album. it's meant as one story and all the tracks relate brilliantly to each other, so enjoy!

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 20
Uhh...I find it unsettling that most of the people here have recommended something they haven't heard. In my experience, the M50 wouldn't be my first choice; they probably won't have enough bass and they sounded a bit congested to me. The Beyerdynamic DT770 is bassier than the M50 but ideally needs an amp. A CMoy or E11 should be okay for your use.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 20
My Q40's and E11 are an amazing combo, quick response,  highs and mids are just fine for my needs and the bass is great, physical impact is Definitely there but I haven't experienced many other 'phones

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 20
Ultrasone HFI-580 is a good option for your specified genres, with emphasized quality bass as well as overall clarity, and it's a step up from the ATH-M50.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
My Q40's and E11 are an amazing combo, quick response,  highs and mids are just fine for my needs and the bass is great, physical impact is Definitely there but I haven't experienced many other 'phones

I share the same experience...the q40s with beyer pads and e11 had amazing bass response...a lil boomy for me, but quantity was out of this world.....

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 20
Definityl go for the Ultrasone 580. In 99% of reviews it beats out the so called "king" M50's. Very good clear bass, clean mids and highs. This headphone sounds amazing with hip hop. Consaidering I listen to rappers like Lamar and other underground. They sound amazing and even sound better than post <$200 headphones. all for $110 

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
first of all i love your taste! new sean price album is killer. i will check out both your recommendations, the ones for only 20$ sound really interesting though. btw you should really listen through the full kendrick album. it's meant as one story and all the tracks relate brilliantly to each other, so enjoy!

lol i keep trying to sit thru the kendrick album but whenever i get to swimming pools i end up leaving that song on repeat for like 2 hours and then i go do something else lol, action just dropped a new mixtape with alchemist (rare chandeliers) get it if you havent already on datpiff

but i came back mostly to say that i also forgot to mention 2 things. 1 the monoprice 8323's are the same exact headphones as the kicker hp541, so if you still cant believe how good these are based off price, go read some customer reviews on the kicker hp541's that sell for more than double the price on amazon

and the 2nd thing i came to say was that if you buy the monoprice 8323's, make sure to get the ath m50 earpads along with them. the stock pads are garbage and way too small. unless you're 11 years old these things will not sit on your ears comfortably, so basically 20 for headphones plus 20 for pads and shipping i imagine, you should clock everything in at around 50 dollars plus or minus if u do decide to go this route

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 20
The M50, as somebody else mentioned, is definitely not the best choice. Yes, it's kind of the entry-level standard, but the second-generation (white-box) version doesn't have nearly the bass quantity of the old blue-box model and would disappoint the OP. The HFI-580 would be a better choice, but may be a bit flawed due to its overladen treble response. Computer hi-hats can be positively painful sometimes, and I don't find that the HFI-580 is great with layered songs. The Monoprice, though it's great in terms of value for your money, honestly can't measure up to the others that've been mentioned. The XB1000 is similar to the HFI-580 (albeit with more toned-down treble), but is far overpriced at nearly $300, not to mention that I believe it went out of production.

I agree with Irishpwnstar's recommendation of the M-Audio Q40 here. It's a great entry-level can with phenomenal bass response that's not only big on quantity, but has plenty of detail to boot. The general sound signature is similar to a Klipsch Reference One, but I hate to draw that comparison because the Q40 is so much clearer and so much greater than the other headphone. The Q40 also has an above-average treble presentation for its price range, without being over-zealous about it and going overboard on the percussion. It works great with hip-hop, rap, and electronica (genres I don't frequent, but when I do it's generally The Roots, Moby, Infected Mushroom, and my guilty pleasure of Eminem), and stands as one of the best cans in general under $150.

I have spent more than ten hours of listening time with every pair of headphones I just mentioned, and have owned all but the XB1000. I believe that you'd be incredibly happy with the Q40, though you can't truly go wrong with anything listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back