Qualia 010 & Beyer DT 880 on the balance!
Jun 5, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Very interesting comparison, Nicola.

I've only a doubt/curiosity about the reason why the HD650 sounded so "unlistenable" with the RP10, which have also two outputs for low and high impedance headphones.

bye
Andrea

Rudi answered to me that the RP010 was not built for the HD 650, this I know, what I do no tknow is why the DT 880 (and RS-1) sound so good with the RP010...

Sometimes the headfiers that love a cans do not understand that they love that headphones because they are looking for a kind of sound, and this is very good. When I was looking for the highest details in headpohnes ai Bought the Qualia, but this do not means that I can find everithing in the Qualia, as I described...

I loved a lot the HD 650 with the RP5 cav, for me that was a nother perfect combo! As the Qualia with RP010 and I hope even the DT 880 with the EarMax Anniversary...

Best!
Nicola

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I think you have set on hd650 also because of your rig, which source and drive them in a very polite and let's say "excellent" way.
I've had occasion to listen for hd650 from a corda amp and it was maybe the only time i heard hd650 polite and "equalranging" and right weighting everything, with hardly noticeably bloat anywhere in the bass->mid thing.

Hd650 can result different and have very rare occasions to sound at their best and need ultratailoring; and you are a lucky fier considering you found the right matches for your ears quite a time ago.

In fact what I think is if one is concerned about politeness and control of sound he should really try one of the corda line before any other amp and probably he wouldn't look any further.

Francesco...

...you're certainly on the right track: the HD 650 is extremely picky if one has high demands on accuracy and neutrality. To my ears it's one of or even the most flat sounding (= linear) headphone(s) available. On the other hand it can't be denied that in a mediocre chain it will sound boring and/or dark, because there's no treble or bass hump (with a well broken-in pair) to make for excitment and to compensate for rolled-off extremes, and even with high-class equipment there will be a slight treble recession to some ears -- instead of some wild (or mild) peaks and resonances with more forward and hotter headphones. So I'm not saying the HD 650 is a headphone for everyone. If you like more exposed detail, another headphone suits you better.

Although the Meier amps may not be the last word in terms of neutrality, I'd count them among the most neutral amps available. But there are also many Head-Fi members who find SinglePower amps to have a particularly good synergy with the HD 650. And myself I have a new love affair with my EMP to date. So I don't want to overstate the pickiness, also because there are HD-650 lovers with not so highly rated setups -- as always, synergy plays its part. And of course the sonic perception and preference of the listener.

My main concern with Nik's post is his absolutism: HD 650 lovers are misguided audio enthusiasts with a preference for euphony and a bad perception of accuracy. Also implying that euphony -- of course -- can only mean a soft and dark sound, but not artificial excitement and overexposed detail. That's not to say that I'm planning to introduce an inverse absolutism though.
tongue.gif

peacesign.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #18 of 155
How about to use a better cable for the DT880, this will set the equation a little more balanced don't you think? Even when is hard to imagine for me, how a headphone like the DT880 or the like, could compete with the Qualia, Well actually I have not heard the DT880 but I do the two borthers, and I have heard all the headphones to consider in its price range, and the qualia regarding the details is vastly superior, even to a more expensive headphones like the DT880 (high-end Grados, for example)

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 155
Personally, for casual listening I like the HD650 better than the DT880. However if I were paying attention, I'd prefer the DT880 since I think it might be quite a bit more scalable than the HD650. Outfitting the Qualia with crappy cable (damn, shot myself in the foot... what I meant to say was ultra high quality Snake Oil (R) "Purple Wombat" 99.999999% BS... er, I mean OFC cable), I'd say it wouldn't be possible for the DT880 to best the Qualia in technical terms even if you went for the Cardas, Zu, etc cable. The 010 is weird but capable. IMO it's all about how you can deal with the weirdness. Nik has clearly managed it, I still need a lot of persuasion in this respect.

But there's no doubt about it, the DT880 is bargain in terms of high fidelity phones. I've been saying this for ages. The only issue is whether you like the way it sounds, which could be (dare I say it) 'boring' for some.

Soundwise the HD650 is pretty undemanding. I'd peg it as the nearest thing in the high-end phone world to the Sony MDR-V700DJ (although of course, it's a heck of a lot better). Quite bassy, dark, 'comfortable' sound. If you just want to chill out, that's nice. It's also less hassle on the head than the Omega II, which is another fairly 'comfortable' sounding phone. The HD650 is an excellent all-purpose phone but IMO rated a little overoptimistically by some here.

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #20 of 155
My impressions at the recent FL meet strengthen my opinion that the SONY QUALIA 010 is the BEST current production headphone. A discerning listener with a bottomless wallet will want to hang on to 6 headphones:

* SennheiserOrpheus
* SONY MDR-10
* SONY Qualia 010
* AKG K1000
* Sennheiser HD-650
* Grado PS1

After nearly 3 years on HeadFi...I dont have a SINGLE headphone in that list
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 155
(...) So I'm not saying the HD 650 is a headphone for everyone. (...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
JaZZ, do exist a headphone for everyone? Which one? The B.O., the Omega, the R10, the Qualia, the K 1000, the PS-1...

The HD 650 is the less detailed cans I ever had, I'm not telling this as a defect, but just as a reality!

Best!
Nicola

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #22 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
My impressions at the recent FL meet strengthen my opinion that the SONY QUALIA 010 is the BEST current production headphone. A discerning listener with a bottomless wallet will want to hang on to 6 headphones:

* SennheiserOrpheus
* SONY MDR-10
* SONY Qualia 010
* AKG K1000
* Sennheiser HD-650
* Grado PS1

After nearly 3 years on HeadFi...I dont have a SINGLE headphone in that list
wink.gif

tongue.gif

But, just for you? Or even for other headfiers?

Best!
Nicola

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #23 of 155
Always...to me, my ears, my setup, my preferences in music and accompanying alcoholic beverage
wink.gif

Nothing comes close to Qualia for technical ability and resolution. Nothing comes close to R10 for musicality and nothing comes close to HD-650 as being the most "rounded" performer.

The other cans are quirky and uunique in their own way.

The Orpheus IS the best headphone of all time...surpassing the Qualia and R10 with disturbing ease. This is not limited to me...everyone at the meet in FL were astounded by the Orpheus...

LOL

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #24 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The HD 650 is the less detailed cans I ever had...

So you obviously don't have much headphone experience... ...Anyway: so what?

peacesign.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #25 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The HD 650 is the less detailed cans I ever had, I'm not telling this as a defect, but just as a reality!

Nik, I can understand this from you, but I guess there's no reality about it!
plainface.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 155
Quote:

Nothing comes close to Qualia for technical ability and resolution. Nothing comes close to R10 for musicality and nothing comes close to HD-650 as being the most "rounded" performer.

GS, I appreciated the effort on clarifying one and for all, lol
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #27 of 155
Quote:

Nothing comes close to Qualia for technical ability and resolution. Nothing comes close to R10 for musicality and nothing comes close to HD-650 as being the most "rounded" performer

I almost forgot to add - NOTHING comes close to the Orpheus (HE-90)...Absolutely Nothing...

Sennheiser got it right all those years back...everyone else has just been kidding themselves. Listening to Wayne's HE-90 at the FL meet (my third tryst with the HE-90) almost maded me cry in frustration when I had to switch back to the SR-404 which sounded like trash from a skinning factory
plainface.gif

I guess I will give them a few days...without listening to anything else in between...to start sounding half decent again.

Shame
frown.gif

LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #28 of 155
Quote:

* SennheiserOrpheus
* SONY MDR-10
* SONY Qualia 010
* AKG K1000
* Sennheiser HD-650
* Grado PS1

Hmm, in just six months, I've had all except for the Orpheus parked in my apartment for extended trials. And as much as I liked each of them, none hit me as satisfying everything I wanted in a headphone (though I'm very happy with the Qualia as my main 'phone).

Guess I gotta get my hands on an Orpheus and be done with this nonsense...

Best,

-Jason

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #29 of 155
You need speakers my friend
smily_headphones1.gif
When you come down lets see if I can persuade you to give up this pointless headphones quest and setup a REALLY serious HT/Stereo AV room. I am inspired after what I saw in FL.

You SHOULD have been there for the FL meet...stunning...I am still shaking my head in disbelief at ALL the stuff we managed to accomplish over a weekend.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #30 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
So you obviously don't have much headphone experience... ...Anyway: so what?

peacesign.gif

Dear JaZZ, I had ALL the cans, less one only the Orpheus, impossible to find (or to buy one). And I'm really convinced of what I said.
And you? Can I know the cans you have or had?
Your opinion is your and mine is mine, sorry ... for me the HD 650 is the less detailed I had... (another sorry!).

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back