quadrophonic?
Apr 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

blur510

100+ Head-Fier
I was talking to this guy at work, and we were talking about music. I told him that I like headphones and that I was thinking (again) of upgrading. He asked me if I have heard Bose, I then told him that they suck and that my Mark'l modded D2000 sounds better. Then he begins talking about how he only listens to quadrophonic, and that he doesn't like headphones and stereo because, quadrophonic is so much better.  Anyone here had a chance to listen to quadrophonic? I find it weird that he was blown away by bose, then he said he didn't like headphones or stereo because quadrophics is better. thanks..

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
I was talking to this guy at work, and we were talking about music. I told him that I like headphones and that I was thinking (again) of upgrading. He asked me if I have heard Bose, I then told him that they suck and that my Mark'l modded D2000 sounds better. Then he begins talking about how he only listens to quadrophonic, and that he doesn't like headphones and stereo because, quadrophonic is so much better.  Anyone here had a chance to listen to quadrophonic? I find it weird that he was blown away by bose, then he said he didn't like headphones or stereo because quadrophics is better. thanks..

I personally haven't, but i bet it is very similar to good remastered music or binaural music. Quadrophonic music was just another way to compress music into a form like DTS, etc. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 22
What a coincident, I was talking to a co worker on Wednesday and he was telling me about his quadrophonic receiver that had cost his dad $1800 new in 1971. I have asked him to bring me a pic for now.  Might also get the opportunity to hear it soon too. He explained how it works but do not ask me to repeat :)

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 22
Quadraphonic, IMO, was just a silly marketing ploy to sell more expensive gear in the 70s.

It was advertised like being the leap from mono to stereo. But the media was expensive and incompatible. I would just stick to stereo. Quadraphonic eventually evolved into digital surround sound and died away into the ether.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 22
You have to admit that the quadraphonic turntables and LPs are remarkably cool. There used to be quadraphonic reel-to-reel and even 8-track players, too. But the format never caught on. SACD and DVD-A tried to pick up multichannel sound, but DVD-A is near death and SACD survives as a niche product for classical fans.

Strange that your co-worker is into quadraphonic. There were very, very few recordings made and it is truly in a small niche. I've only seen a small handful of people still using the format. As much as I love obscure audio gear, I've never had a desire to get into quadraphonic. It's just too limited and small. Though I do have plans for a cylinder player - maybe I'll build one some day. :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 22
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/abc.htm

Enoch Light has been one of my favorite musical luminaries over the years, after finding all these quad records I was going to put something together to see what they sounded like. I gave up after finding out that one type of quad uses a quad needle and another way uses a hardware decoder in the amp. So half the records play on one system and the other half need that four channel needle.

I am 49 so yes I also remember hearing quad in the day. The coolest thing was when the sounds would travel from speaker to speaker around the room. You would think there would be more multi track DTS type reissues put out of the records listed above. Maybe few care about the records or the music from the early 70s. Many of the amps had joy stick balance controllers which let you do an A-B-C-D coordinates change and place the center in one area sound field.

The crazy part is some of the reissued two channel Cd's have a mix down were you can guess it was four channel by the effects.

This is one that after getting the cd and 4 channel record, I really wanted a quad system!
There were really hundreds and hundreds of quad records!

http://www.wendycarlos.com/+sslms.html#behind   
 Sonic Seasonings

Check out the Original Tron Soundtrack in 2 channel!

May 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 22

May 2, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 22
I have the original quadraphonic recordings of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here".
They sound great on my surround sound system.

May 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I have the original quadraphonic recordings of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here".
They sound great on my surround sound system.

cd4 or sq?   This is my 2 channel

May 2, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 22
4 Channel!

http://www.klaus-schulze.com/disco/1721ir.htm

May 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 22
The originals were on 8-track tape. Sound quality is pretty good
for such an old media.

I have another recording that I made myself.
David Arkenstone released a recording on two
CD's, each meant to be played on a different DC player
at the same time. I encoded one CD on the front channels
and the other CD on the rear channels.

May 2, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
The originals were on 8-track tape. Sound quality is pretty good
for such an old media.

That is so cool!

May 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro_Arrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you heard  The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka

It comes on 4 CDs which you're supposed to play on 4 CD players simultaneously.

Sometime ago you could find a 5.1 mix done by a fan and I think it might have even been downloadable from the Lips' forum

... and if you search on YouTube you'll find a Lips tune you're supposed to play on 12 devices. Results are NSFW :wink:

May 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 22
Thats just crazy...
confused_face.gif

Quote:
Have you heard  The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka

It comes on 4 CDs which you're supposed to play on 4 CD players simultaneously.

Sometime ago you could find a 5.1 mix done by a fan and I think it might have even been downloadable from the Lips' forum

... and if you search on YouTube you'll find a Lips tune you're supposed to play on 12 devices. Results are NSFW :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back