QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #2,206 of 2,247
That's one of the reasons why I'm a bit reluctant to trying other midfi headphones... Even if its frequency response is a bit bright for my tastes (mostly with electronic productions), I feel like the Quad punches over its price range technically. How is the Arya, is it brighter?
The arya is very different from the quad, it is brighter and heavily lacks sound body and impact and fun, the quad is clean and very rhythmic and fun, for me if it had a little more mid-highs it would be perfect.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,207 of 2,247
Hi Chris, did you ever get on top of your imbalance between left and right? The pair I have just picked up has it. Nothing the balance knob on my amp can’t sort but it’s noticeable straight from my Hugo2. Definitely not the cable or anything upstream as I’ve tried different pairs
Can't say it exactly, but since the FAW cable is in use, there's no flaw to it.

Maybe my right ear had more wax in it, I don't know for sure. ^^

But after my measurements, my little OCD was triggered almost all the time. :ksc75smile:
So it has to be the cables fault, you all know what I mean. :wink:

I never compared the cables after that, which is a bad move by myself, I've to admit.

If my time will let me, i'll give it a "second" try, but then the FAW is starring at me asking
WHY?
:)

Maybe you're first move should be to clean the sockets on the headphone, and the plugs of the cable, with some alcohol/ipa to make sure there's no dust/waste, which may cause a bad connection.

What I figured out in a short test today is, that the plugs of the OEM cable caused some drop outs on the left side, but a small twist sort the issue.
No issues with the plugs of the FAW cable so far.

At least I can say that after 4 years of ownership, despite having a ZMF VO at hand, the Era-1 is still my favorite headphone for metal. :metal:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,208 of 2,247
Can't say it exactly, but since the FAW cable is in use, there's no flaw to it.

Maybe my right ear had more wax in it, I don't know for sure. ^^

But after my measurements, my little OCD was triggered almost all the time. :ksc75smile:
So it has to be the cables fault, you all know what I mean. :wink:

I never compared the cables after that, which is a bad move by myself, I've to admit.

If my time will let me, i'll give it a "second" try, but then the FAW is starring at me asking
WHY?
:)

Maybe you're first move should be to clean the sockets on the headphone, and the plugs of the cable, with some alcohol/ipa to make sure there's no dust/waste, which may cause a bad connection.

What I figured out in a short test today is, that the plugs of the OEM cable caused some drop outs on the left side, but a small twist sort the issue.
No issues with the plugs of the FAW cable so far.

At least I can say that after 4 years of ownership, despite having a ZMF VO at hand, the Era-1 is still my favorite headphone for metal. :metal:
There was definitely a fault with these. Seller has agreed to a return so no major loss. Shame as they looked mint but there was also a crackle in the right ear which appeared today and wouldn't go. With the balance I had to add 4db in Roon on the right ear so must have been a driver fault. I suspect these were an early model and may have suffered the issues mentioned early in this thread but had clearly hardly been used.

Might just have to bite the bullet and go new with a 3 year warranty, cannot fault the sound :)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #2,209 of 2,247
Seems there's a bit hit or miss in a low percentage range.

Bought mine in July 2019, with extended and heavy use I've no issue so far.
Fingers crossed. :fingers_crossed:

Happy listening once u can get your hands on a new one. :)

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #2,210 of 2,247
the quad is fabulous, its standard cable isn't bad but a better one would be better.
They recommend a pure copper cable but I'm a little afraid of having greater clarity but less body in the sound.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #2,211 of 2,247
the quad is fabulous, its standard cable isn't bad but a better one would be better.
They recommend a pure copper cable but I'm a little afraid of having greater clarity but less body in the sound.
If anything the copper cables usually add some weight and tone in the low end, at least that's what I noticed with my iems. The OCC copper cables have great clarity too, I'm using one as well with the Quad and I think I like the sound better this way. I could double check with the stock cable if you like.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #2,212 of 2,247
If anything the copper cables usually add some weight and tone in the low end, at least that's what I noticed with my iems. The OCC copper cables have great clarity too, I'm using one as well with the Quad and I think I like the sound better this way. I could double check with the stock cable if you like.
yes, typing error..... I was referring to silver cables, even though they lose a bit of body

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #2,213 of 2,247
Honestly, no wonder this headphone has remained unchanged for nearly 6 years, Quad absolutely nailed it didn't they!

I've got a pair here for the weekend, alongside some Meze 109 pro and honestly i can't fault the Quad. The Meze are good but i find them a little less natural and a bit 'spicy' in the treble. Maybe that's just the synergy with my source.

Just flicking through the manual though and Quad state its the fleecy ear cushion that's standard and the leather is there for an alternative listening experience

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #2,214 of 2,247
I loved them until the left side kept cutting out. I thought it was the cable, the connector / jack but in the end couldn't find the issue. Since I bought them used awhile ago I just toss them. Otherwise they were great.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #2,216 of 2,247
The quads are a very special headphones.

If i could get the same performance in an closed type, for the same price will be a dream 😁.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back