QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,951 of 2,247
Just bought these, very impressive headphone :L3000:!

I’ve been searching long and hard for a planar like this. After reading every post in this thread I decided to try these.

First impressions, while not as technically impressive as my previous planars (Audeze LCD-4) these make me… happy? They are joyful and fun! This is the first time in a long, long time I have zero inclination to use eq.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #1,952 of 2,247
Good to hear you are enjoying them. I must say, I was impressed by them on first acquaintance, but having put 2-300 hours on them, they just seemed to improve, sounding more detailed, more nuanced and to go deeper in the bass with use.

I'm enjoying them so much, I've started considering some Quad ESL 2912s for my listening room!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #1,953 of 2,247
Good to hear you are enjoying them. I must say, I was impressed by them on first acquaintance, but having put 2-300 hours on them, they just seemed to improve, sounding more detailed, more nuanced and to go deeper in the bass with use.

I'm enjoying them so much, I've started considering some Quad ESL 2912s for my listening room!
Thank you 🙏. I’m looking forward to hearing them develop further.

One thing that has already surprised me (with the leather pads) is the coherence. They actually remind me a little of Hifiman Susvara and Arya Stealth (my two favorite Hifiman’s). It caught me off-guard because I wasn’t expecting that. No, I’m not implying that these are technically as good but I’m saying that they have a tuning coherence that remind of those.

The ERA-1 are also more revealing than their price would lead you to believe. In some ways this probably has had some listeners attributing weakness in their system to the headphones instead.

P.S. Those Quad ESL’s looks seriously impressive, midrange magic coming your way :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,954 of 2,247
Enjoy the Era-1.
It's a really great headphone for its price tag.

Btw.
Reminds me to have a listen to them after playing with the VO for a few weeks. :ksc75smile:

Oct 29, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,955 of 2,247
Enjoy the Era-1.
It's a really great headphone for its price tag.

Btw.
Reminds me to have a listen to them after playing with the VO for a few weeks. :ksc75smile:

BTW, I use to have a pair of VO’s. Wonderful headphone, totally get that you’re enjoying them!

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,956 of 2,247

Was thinking about the Quad ESL2192’s,
But I said to the wife that huge lounge suite will have to go to make room for them,
She replied “if that lounge suite goes, I go with it “,
First time she’s encouraged me to buy HiFi gear … 👍😃

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #1,957 of 2,247
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I've just bought a pair of these very enticing headphones, to join my first set up (Vena II, KEF Q350, REL T5X). They haven't arrived yet but I wanted to know if anyone is running them off the Quad Vena II? If so how is your experience?

These are my first pair of headphones that could remotely be described as high end / audiophile. I'm so excited to have em in my paws!
So these finally arrived on Monday this week (16 days after ordering!) And, whilst I haven't had as much time with them as I'd like, I am in love. I've never *enjoyed* a headphone as much - my past experience has been that they are usually a compromised alternative to listening to speakers.

I don't feel that way about these, I think I could sit for hours just trying out different genres with them. Last night I listened to Taylor Swift's 'Midnights' on the back of a reddit recommendation and was dumbfounded by how much I enjoyed it.

I had been feeling anxious about the spend but feel no regret now.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #1,958 of 2,247
So these finally arrived on Monday this week (16 days after ordering!) And, whilst I haven't had as much time with them as I'd like, I am in love. I've never *enjoyed* a headphone as much - my past experience has been that they are usually a compromised alternative to listening to speakers.

I don't feel that way about these, I think I could sit for hours just trying out different genres with them. Last night I listened to Taylor Swift's 'Midnights' on the back of a reddit recommendation and was dumbfounded by how much I enjoyed it.

I had been feeling anxious about the spend but feel no regret now.
Glad you like it.
We're all with you. :)

Enjoy any rides to come.

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,959 of 2,247
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #1,963 of 2,247
how long have you been using them? have you noticed any rattling in the sound? the fact is that before that I had a couple of one of the first revisions and the membranes stretched on it and the headphones began to make extraneous sounds. the wiring inside them was black and gray. The other day I received two pairs of new Quad for myself and a friend, one was a black and gray wire (old revision), the other was black and red (new corrected revision).

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #1,965 of 2,247
^Yes, I had a lot of weirdness with mine, later repaired.^
Mind you, considering the age of these I suspect many Blue-Grey versions have been trouble free....
Is there much of a difference in the serial numbers of your friends version and yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back