QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Nov 24, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,981 of 2,269
I find the Quads to be very revealing of the differences between sources, so it looks like the E30/L30 are not really much different in their output to the Mackbook Pro?

Nov 24, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,983 of 2,269
For me the Quads don't need that much power, so depending how strong your mobile source already is you might notice a difference or not. Maybe the MacBook is good enough. The transients are usually where I find planars to scale most with beefier amplification.
This parallels my experience, going from a 160mW to 720mW source did open up the sound a bit in terms of dynamics, but only really obvious with material that has big dynamic peaks.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,984 of 2,269
I recently acquired an Auris Nirvana-- the Quads are sounding pretty fine. Overkill of an amp-- but I got it to use with other headphones as well. But lately I've been: "I'm perfectly content with the sound these headphones are giving me. I'll keep listening to them for a while. No need for the bigger guns..."

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #1,985 of 2,269
After a couple years of owning the Quads, I decided to order a Topping E30/L30 stack. I mostly use the Quads with my work MacBook Pro and really expected a boost in audio quality from the amp alone. I can’t say I hear any difference. This wasn’t a blind test, either, but I did my best to volume match and then flipped between the two. I know the Quads are considered easy to drive but this still surprised me! What’s others’ experience been like?
I finally got to listen to these with my Broadway and the difference in micro detail and texture is startling. These really showcase what these headphones can do - it's not a breathtaking experience but definitely makes the overall experience way more enjoyable. These do scale fairly well.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #1,986 of 2,269
Having some knackered leather pads lying around that is intriguing...do share the results...
I received the aftermarket Focal pads, they match the Quad almost perfectly:
PXL_20221204_131731478.jpg

The issue is that the mounting ring is completely glued inside the pads and difficult to remove without damaging the leather. So what I did is I removed the protection over the ring, broke the 5 attachment points and put the protection back on the pads. So they're not fixed on the Quad and if the goal is to reuse the mounting ring of the Quad I guess you'd be better off with something like the ZMF Focal pads which seem to have a removable mounting ring. But for testing purpose it works perfectly this way.

In terms of sound quality, I really like the change. They don't sound drastically different from the stock pads but the difference is enough to make me like the Quad quite a bit more. Compared to the fat stock leather pads, they bring more focus on the midrange and provide better control in bass and treble. Some may find the bass a bit shy but the midrange is more upfront and lively and I think this is an improvement. It sounds closer to the stock hybrid pads except that the latter sound a bit soft with their velour material and have worse transparency since they are not fully perforated. Ideally you can always add a little EQ boost in the bass to make up for the lean bass, that makes the frequency response pretty ideal IMO.

Compared to my HD600 with Dekoni perforated leather pads and foam layers removed, the Quad sounds more similar than different, it's the same kind of smooth and transparent sound signature. The Quad has a tighter bass and a bit more sparkle, so it's a clearer headphone overall but I wouldn't call it bright either. Dynamics and speed are still fantastic as usual with this headphone.

So if you'd like to make the Quad a bit more neutral I think those pads work well and are an improvement over the hybrid pads. Now if you're already perfectly happy with the stock leather pads there's probably no point changing anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #1,989 of 2,269
I’ve just been gifted a brand new pair of ERA-1s and a Mission LX Connect DAC as an early X-mas present and I’ve not been able to wipe the smile off my face since. I’ve never heard anything like it, ever. They’re astonishing. This is my first high quality listening setup and I’m already hooked - ordered a FAW Noir cable to go with, I can see this is going to get expensive. One thing I have noted is that both the DAC and headphones come with a 3 year warranty, as do the cables I have coming - that seems exceptional for complex electronics, is it normal in this industry?

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,990 of 2,269
Curious to have someone else opinion on these :) Transparency is what impresses me most, I think together with these pads the Quad kicks much higher than their price tag.
As is did before, I'd say.

Despite I've the lovely Verite Open, i'm always heading back to my Quads for my metal satisfaction. :)

Especially this

I f*ng love this song. :metal:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,991 of 2,269
I’ve just been gifted a brand new pair of ERA-1s and a Mission LX Connect DAC as an early X-mas present and I’ve not been able to wipe the smile off my face since. I’ve never heard anything like it, ever. They’re astonishing. This is my first high quality listening setup and I’m already hooked - ordered a FAW Noir cable to go with, I can see this is going to get expensive. One thing I have noted is that both the DAC and headphones come with a 3 year warranty, as do the cables I have coming - that seems exceptional for complex electronics, is it normal in this industry?
Welcome to the "club".
Enjoy your listening. 🎧

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #1,992 of 2,269
Hi!

I recently decided to gift myself (being the time for it and all) the Quad Era-1, but I have a dilemma.

I found an ad for them used in neighbouring country (Denmark, live in Sweden) for about 240€, but that is sight unseen, not the original cable (homemade ones instead), some small cosmetic damage and no Warranty left.
See pics here

I can also buy them new for 410€, with a full 3 years warranty and 30 day free return shipping.

I'm kinda torn which way to go, any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back