QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jul 8, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #1,621 of 2,268
The Pilot Pad doesn't even come close to fitting. Below is the best I could do to get it to fit.

20210708_104306.jpg

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,623 of 2,268
Maybe some usefull information for people who are interested in the Quad Era-1.

I bought one used and was very surprised by the sound quality. But the build was so bad, creaking and making other strange noises in the headband. So I sold it and got a new one. It has none of the issues, it feels like a different product, quite good built quality.

I was again very surprised by the sound. I find it pretty good. And comparing it to my A1266 I find it very similar in the tonality and presentation of music. Of course there are some differences, like soundstage etc. but I would even call it a mini A1266. Then I also looked into the FR today and was not really surprised when I saw this:

1625765200792.png

Anyone else compared these two together and has an oppinion on it?

Can't help on the headband comfort discussion, as it is absolutely very very comfortable for me.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,624 of 2,268

I bought one used and was very surprised by the sound quality. But the build was so bad, creaking and making other strange noises in the headband. So I sold it and got a new one. It has none of the issues, it feels like a different product, quite good built quality.

I was again very surprised by the sound. I find it pretty good. And comparing it to my A1266 I find it very similar in the tonality and presentation of music. Of course there are some differences, like soundstage etc. but I would even call it a mini A1266. Then I also looked into the FR today and was not really surprised when I saw this:

1625765200792.png

Can't help on the headband comfort discussion, as it is absolutely very very comfortable for me.
This is not the first time someone draws this comparison with the Abyss here :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-era-1-thread.878180/page-20#post-14789381
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-era-1-thread.878180/page-20#post-14789369

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,625 of 2,268
Recently got an era-1 as an Amazon warehouse deal in Europe. Love the sound, its almost the perfect evolution from my Sennheiser hd600.

My concern is that yesterday just all of a sudden there was no sound in thr right driver. It came back after some volume adjustments and has been working fine since then. However this has shaken me a bit and now I'm worried about the longevity of the cans. Would love some insight/ideas from the experts here.

Has anyone in Europe mainland faced this? What did you do? Did you receive proper support from quad?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,626 of 2,268
Think I solved my comfort issues. I had a leftover pad for an old set of Audeze I no longer have. A few mods and boom. Much better. These are a keeper now and I'm so glad. I would have sorely missed the sound.

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_133442-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210710_133442-01.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210710_133449-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210710_133449-01.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #1,628 of 2,268
Recently got an era-1 as an Amazon warehouse deal in Europe. Love the sound, its almost the perfect evolution from my Sennheiser hd600.

My concern is that yesterday just all of a sudden there was no sound in thr right driver. It came back after some volume adjustments and has been working fine since then. However this has shaken me a bit and now I'm worried about the longevity of the cans. Would love some insight/ideas from the experts here.

Has anyone in Europe mainland faced this? What did you do? Did you receive proper support from quad?

Hi.
Been there myself, and that issue will get worse. Mine were repaired at IAG in the UK.
You could contact them for the distributor in your country who may help you if you butter them up/buy some other kit from them.
Unfamiliar with Amazon warehouse policy though.

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,629 of 2,268
Hi.
Been there myself, and that issue will get worse. Mine were repaired at IAG in the UK.
You could contact them for the distributor in your country who may help you if you butter them up/buy some other kit from them.
Unfamiliar with Amazon warehouse policy though.
Thank you. I guess I will shoot an email to quad support and see what they say.

I am still within the return window so debating whether it would make sense to send them back and get a new pair. I am loving the sound. But a new pair is almost a 100 € more and the ones I have seems to be in great visual condition..

Gah.. Why didn't quad do better qc??

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,630 of 2,268

1625765200792.png

That is interesting. I like hte bass response. It's heavy and deep. Looks quite similar to my tuned HF580.

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,631 of 2,268
Thank you. I guess I will shoot an email to quad support and see what they say.

I am still within the return window so debating whether it would make sense to send them back and get a new pair. I am loving the sound. But a new pair is almost a 100 € more and the ones I have seems to be in great visual condition..

Gah.. Why didn't quad do better qc??

The issues crop up in early batches of these, something that seems to be subsequently fixed.
Wish you well with getting it sorted:)

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #1,632 of 2,268
Finally hooked the Quads up to a proper amp (Marantz 2240B) and put them through their paces. Couple of thoughts and playlist below. I have eclectic tastes as you will see, so I really wanted to see how these would do with some of my favorite tracks from different genres.

Fast, accurate, excellent bass. Just as advertised.

Had to adjust the tone controls a bit. The mids were a bit exaggerated compared to my speaker setup. Reduced by one click and was just right.

Great headphones but lack the wow factor. Could be several reasons for that. This isn't my first rodeo with planars or high end gear. Compared to my speaker setup (Tekton mLores), they fall short as expected. I know you can't really compare speakers vs headphones. A good set of speakers will win every time. My brain still couldn't help but make the comparison. These aren't really dialed in yet (audio settings wise) and I'm not exactly using audiophile recordings. My first time with the LCD-2's years ago blew my mind, but I've a lot of time with better gear since. Also, my hearing is pretty damn good for my age, but certainly not as good as it was 10 years ago.

Maybe not the best amp to pair with these, but certainly equal to the Asgard I plan to drive them with once I get it set up.

Much better amped than straight off my phone. Bass improved in impact and weight. Congested at times with the filthier stuff on the playlist, but that could easily be the recording.

Test tracks are not exactly high-res recordings as you will see. These are very revealing and poorly recorded/mastered music will sound exactly like that.

So are these a keeper? Yes. These are really good headphones. Very much the equal of the LCD-2'S I had previously. I do want to try these with my vinyl source (Sony PS-X600) as I think they would pair well.

Signal chain: LMS server via Picoreplayer - Rpi4 + Allo Boss - Fosi Audio Tube-01 - Marantz 2240B
Files are a mix of FLAC and 320 mp3. Most direct digital downloads or cd rips.

Emperor - Thus Spake the Nightspirit
Emperor - I am the Black Wizards
Immortal - Sun No Longer Rises
Mayhem - Freezing Moon
Archgoat - The Obsidian Blade
Akercocke - Seduced
Opeth - Harlequin Forest (live)
Mr Bungle - Hypocrites/Habla Espanol O Muerte
Eternal Champion - War at the Edge of the End
Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
Sumerlands - Spiral Infinite
Hour of 13 - Call to Satan
Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
Iron Maiden - The Prisoner
Tool - Prison Sex
Rush - Subdivisions
Rush - Lessons
Rush - The Necromancer
The Cure - Closedown
Secret Shame - Pure
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Tramped by Turtles - Wait So Long (live)

Jul 21, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #1,635 of 2,268
One word: "Yes". ^^

While the Era-1 sounds good with the V30, gets better with the Mojo, but neither can beat the R28 in terms of (my) musical enjoyment.

Still curious about some tube amps, since Quad pairs the Era-1 with the PA-One (Plus).
Had a short listen to it 2 years ago, but can't remember correctly.
I've to heading to the dealer i've auditioned them the first time in Munich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back