QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,651 of 2,273
Hifi-freaks is back in business and our favorite headphone is back on sale: https://hifi-freaks.se/quad-era-1.html
I have no idea if they're shipping to other countries, I know that at least someone here in this thread bought from them outside Sweden before the bankruptcy.
Wow.
451 € instead of 699.
Great offer.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,653 of 2,273
Has anyone tried to run them balanced?

Yep. I use a Hart Audio cable, the same that fits my Focal Clear and HiFiMan Arya. However, on my amp, a Benchmark HPA4, there is no audible difference between single-ended and balanced. In general, I doubt the Quads would need the extra power as they are very easy to drive well. But, some amps just sound better out of the balanced jack than they do single-ended, and so I'd really consider the amp rather than the headphones to decide if you should spring for a balanced cable.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #1,655 of 2,273
Will this cable fit?
Ablet® Hi-Fi Cable with 4.4mm Symmetrical Plug for Beyerdynamic T1 2nd, T5p Second Generation Headphones and Sony WM1A, NW-WM1Z, PHA-2A Silver Plated Audio Cable https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MC5Z8XQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_0AP15X23Q49HG3AVZVAZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Not so easy to tell, the plug types are correct (2x 3,5mm) yes, but the Quad needs some very thin terminators on the headphone side because of their design and position of the jack. The Ablet cable looks like to have very thin connectors, but if the shell does prevent the plug from being fully inserted, is hard to tell.

For reference I made pictures from my cable (Hart Audio Cables), these have a spacer region between the actual plug and the shell:
1630389619719.png
1630389655939.png

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #1,656 of 2,273
Not so easy to tell, the plug types are correct (2x 3,5mm) yes, but the Quad needs some very thin terminators on the headphone side because of their design and position of the jack. The Ablet cable looks like to have very thin connectors, but if the shell does prevent the plug from being fully inserted, is hard to tell.
Thank you for the detailed answer i guess it can be hit or miss. I would actually also prefer a longer cable then this. Say 3 meters. Do you know any place that sells them for not more then 100 dollars?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,657 of 2,273
Sep 6, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,659 of 2,273
Thanks ill give it a try. Also bought a cheapo female to male extension when i want to move a couple of meters from my desk
Well the cable came and i feel like the sound is more airy and has a biggr stage. But bass and mids are not as present as on single ended use. Funny is also that i need to push the gain more on the balanced output of my amp the single ended. I use the matrix audio mini i3 pro. The cable is also very microphonic when touched or moved.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #1,661 of 2,273
Thanks ill give it a try. Also bought a cheapo female to male extension when i want to move a couple of meters from my desk
Well the cable came and i feel like the sound is more airy and has a biggr stage. But bass and mids are not as present as on single ended use. Funny is also that i need to push the gain more on the balanced output of my amp the single ended. I use the matrix audio mini i3 pro. The cable is also very microphonic when touched or moved
Meze 99 cables fit like a glove
https://mezeaudio.com/products/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable

But it only has mono on each jack? Will that fit and work. Also the amazon cable already has a defect and i found the sound to sibilant on certain instruments. So its going back.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,662 of 2,273
Well the cable came and i feel like the sound is more airy and has a biggr stage. But bass and mids are not as present as on single ended use. Funny is also that i need to push the gain more on the balanced output of my amp the single ended. I use the matrix audio mini i3 pro. The cable is also very microphonic when touched or moved

https://mezeaudio.com/products/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable

But it only has mono on each jack? Will that fit and work. Also the amazon cable already has a defect and i found the sound to sibilant on certain instruments. So its going back.
It works just fine. Sounds great too. It works with many headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back