QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,606 of 2,273
You got it.

The Quads have deeper sub-bass extension, better bass detail/texture, and sound overall warmer than the Elex (but this has more to do with the mids and treble). The Elex wins on bass impact, but the Quads do an excellent job for a planar. By comparison, the Elex sounds a bit woolly and a bit boomy, but that's really only in comparison. The Elex does have pretty crisp and well-extended bass for a dynamic driver at that price-point.

Both headphones have very detailed and well separated mids, but the Quads pull ahead here. The Elex has a more natural tone, by which I mean a more linear mids section and one that balances better with the treble and bass. The Quads, I find, have a dip around 2.5khz that can make the mids and especially the vocals sound somewhat muted and occasionally muffled. Most of the time I EQ in about 4db there to give back some vibrancy. The Elex just has that vibrancy already, though occasionally it comes off as a bit aggressive sounding with, to my ears, a bit of a rise around that same 2-2.5khz area. In addition, the upper mids can show some glare on the Elex, causing things like electric guitars to blend together and sound strident or biting at times, especially in busier tracks. The Quads are less aggressively tuned there and also have faster drivers, so no glare. Definitely a more subtle presentation. In short, the Elex can get a little excessive, whereas the Quads can be too reserved.

In treble, that tendency is the same. The Elex has some peaks that both give a sense of detail and occasionally come off as abrasive, while the Quads have much more even sounding treble that seems slightly polite at first. With the Elex, cymbals can gain some sizzle and brass can gain some squeak. On the right tracks, the Elex sounds exciting and detailed and energetic, but they are more difficult headphones to pair with genres. That might sound very negative, but really these fairly tolerable issues. The treble on the Quads sounds more even and smoother, letting cymbals be heard without any tizzy or harsh edge to them. The treble on the Quads is much more like a HiFiMan than an Audeze. In other words, detailed and light without being overly accentuated.

Soundstage width and imaging are roughly equal, and both are easier than average to pair with an amp.

Here's the short version. The more I listened to the Elex, the more I realized that this initially exciting, intense headphone is a little too sloppy and unrestrained in areas. The more I listened to the Quads, the more I realized that this initially safely tuned middle-of-the-roader has some real resolution, depth, and finesse. Both great headphones, but one needs a bit of taming and the other a bit of coaxing.
Nice breakdown. I definitely appreciate it. After reading your comments, along with many others, I think it's safe to assume that the Elex likely isn't for me. Especially considering that I mostly listen to hair metal, some fairly rare, and not always well produced.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,607 of 2,273
Anyone have issues with one of the channels going out? I just bought a used pair and all of a sudden, no sound in right earcup.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,610 of 2,273
Bob yes I had that issue and it got worse. Few posts from myself and at least one one other on this thread iirc.
Mine went back to IAG and were repaired under warranty, no issues since.
Thanks, where do I find IAG? Did they say what the problem was? Weird how it's fine now though. :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,611 of 2,273
Mine went back to IAG through my local hifi dealer. Mine is ex demo and probably an earlier example, another poster early on in this thread mentioned known issues which affected some Era-1 and can likely be Pm`ed as he seems to have a bit of insider insight there. Despite asking questions through the shop and later IAG they blindsided me.
In regards to contacting IAG, just go to the Quad website and email" contact".
I think IAG are aware of some issues and know how to fix them in-house based on my experience.

Probably should be pointed out there are lots of folks very happy with Era-1, and that any issues seem to be in a very small percentage.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,612 of 2,273
Mine went back to IAG through my local hifi dealer. Mine is ex demo and probably an earlier example, another poster early on in this thread mentioned known issues which affected some Era-1 and can likely be Pm`ed as he seems to have a bit of insider insight there. Despite asking questions through the shop and later IAG they blindsided me.
In regards to contacting IAG, just go to the Quad website and email" contact".
I think IAG are aware of some issues and know how to fix them in-house based on my experience.

Probably should be pointed out there are lots of folks very happy with Era-1, and that any issues seem to be in a very small percentage.
Thanks. I'll email when it happens again. Weird, they're working fine now.

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,615 of 2,273
Thanks, where do I find IAG? Did they say what the problem was? Weird how it's fine now though. :frowning2:
Mine had the same problem, 1 drive died and came back to life a few times, then one day died for good. It was a known quality issue with this model produced until March 2019. I wrote to Rob@iaguk.co.uk. They accepted to replace both of the drives. This was 6 months ago. No more issues since. Anyway, I hope it will last this time, because I love them.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,616 of 2,273
Anyone have tips to make these a little more comfortable? The headband puts too much pressure on my head which keeps me from enjoying them for very long. I was thinking about an extra pad, but not sure if it would help.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,617 of 2,273
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #1,618 of 2,273
Are pads for these still available anywhere? My favorite headphone, I'd hate to wear my pads out and not have replacements.
If not, are there any other pads that will work with these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back