QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Nov 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,306 of 2,247
Also the different pads have a great effect on sound quality and signature with these so tuning can definitely impact the overall quality of this headphone. So far I got the best results with the dekoni hd600 pads which absolutely don't fit the Quad but still sound great.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,307 of 2,247
When you consider how many IEMs use off the shelf balanced armatures from Knowles, Sonion, or Bellsing, yet still manage to craft a unique sound, well, I'm not too worried. Granted, the mixing and matching of parts there helps, but so much goes into the tuning the end sound besides just the transducer that I would doubt you'd get much more than a strong family resemblance out of two different headphones using the same OEM drivers. That's the case with the same planars that Sendy, Sivga, and Monoprice use in their respective headphones.

Excellent points. With respect to the Alara and ERA-1, I think there have been a few comparisons and they are certainly not identical, though similar, and I definitely think the ERA-1 look more premium, plus they come with two different kinds of ear pads (unlike Alara) so that further makes it easier for a user to tune the sound out of the box just by swapping pads.

I've never heard the ERA-1 myself but it's definitely a can I covet, lol ... I have the Alara and do really like them.

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,308 of 2,247
Well i’ve had these for a few weeks now. Using them with my Mojo/Poly combo fed by Roon.

For me, nothing jumps out. They definitely need a bit of burn in. After a week they seem to relax.

Now, wow these are superb.

I’m used to the Elear’s and Elegia’s mostly, have the Tin Hifi P1’s and some RHA IEM’s. Listen to B&W 603 S3’s every evening . . .

These seem like they have qualities of everything I have. Obviously sound signatures differ bit i can relate these to everything else own.

They seem to have a naturalness to them, they seem revealing, especially in the lower end. I use the velour pads, the leather ones seem to lose that lovely bottom end.

I’ve had these on every day that I’ve owned them, and when they are on I don’t want anything else. I don’t need anything else. They sound natural but full and rich, perhaps could have a larger stage but the intimate sound makes you feel part of the music.

These kind of seem like the cool, reserved, experienced guy at a party that doesn’t need to shout how great he is, he just wants a good time. Nothing is exaggerated, what comes out is detailed but not rammed down your ears, it’s just enough and always makes you want to hear more.
I love them!

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,309 of 2,247
I think I read somewhere the brainwavz alara used the same planars units as these..that can't be right, can it ?

Nope.
The Era1 transducer developed by Quad and manufactured within the IAG (International Audio Group). No one else have rights to use they driver (This is the formal process, whatever which OEM maker got the job from a Brand that was the developer).
I don't know about the Alara development, but probably that was made by Yogada JPM-101 (4).

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #1,310 of 2,247
Weird, I'm watching this thread but it will not show up in my watched list - anyone have it like that...watched unwatched and watched again...still not appearing.

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,312 of 2,247
Same for me.

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,313 of 2,247
Same for me.
Chris - A-Gd R28 amazing with the Quads ? I'm looking at it as a big step up from A-gd R11...Recent new fanboy of A-gd - maaaan their design skills are top notch....love their volume pots as well,...smooth as butter turning them...haha.

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,314 of 2,247
Chris - A-Gd R28 amazing with the Quads ? I'm looking at it as a big step up from A-gd R11...Recent new fanboy of A-gd - maaaan their design skills are top notch....love their volume pots as well,...smooth as butter turning them...haha.
It couldn't be better, for me. :ksc75smile:
I love the synergy of the R2R and the pure and massive power of the amp.
The Quads scales very well with, so all headphones in my arsenal do.

One curiousity is the volume control of the R28.
Keep in mind that the volume characteristic of my R28 is a "100 step super exponential" one, which differs from younger build dates.
I mostly listen at level 65, which means it's 8% of power output. ^^ :astonished:
On younger R28s, Level 65 is dedicated to 60% power output.
It could be a bit confusing to some.
Don't know why Kingwa has changed the volume characteristic.
My guess is, to align with the competitors.

The R28 used as a preamp is also stunning and plays pretty well with my Elac Air-X 407.
Don't need much more for my personnel music pleasure, . . . . right now. ^^

Despite the massive size, it's a no-brainer if you're looking for a powerful AIO R2R.

Btw.
Beware of the clicking sound when turning the volume pot.
It's a discrete ladder one based on resistors for each step to be truly balanced. :wink:

sketch-1604770351688.png

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #1,315 of 2,247
Imo, such an exponential potentiometer is nice thing to have, gives you more latitude with sensitive headphones and IEMs while still allowing for gobs of power at the upper end.
By the way, is it possible that the ERA-1 improves quite a bit as far as bass is concerned over time? That's at least my impression and as i'm not at all only listening to them, i wouldn't entirely ascribe this to 'brain burn-in'. They have been fast and controlled from the very beginning, but that thump i'm hearing by now imo wasn't there at the start.
And that's quite a nice setup you have there for your humble needs, @Chris Kaoss. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,316 of 2,247
I love my bananas, too. ^^

Yes, the Quads definitly improve over time. Especially with "proper" amping, they'll show something more, imo.

The Elacs are a bit oversized for my little appartement, but this speakers will last 2 decades or more and aren't setup dependent.
Happy to have them with me.
Would like to hear them in a large living room one day. :sunglasses:

Thanks @Uebelkraehe

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #1,317 of 2,247
Having a really bad time. Mentioned previously in the thread that there was a really loud creaking/clicking sound when walking with the headphones on or when moving my head. I ended up sending them back for repair under warranty, partly because of this and partly because the cable had badly degraded and the sound had cut out on the left. This was after a month of usage.

I received the headphone back and after a day's use the cable came apart at the point where it inserts into the left earpiece. (Wire exposed). No rough usage on my part or anything like that, I can't even take the cable out of the earpiece now really because I'd just be pulling on the wire.

Whatever about that, and I was resigned to just buying an aftermarket cable anyway - The clicking/creaking has returned on the right side, really loud, any time I walk around with the headphone on.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #1,318 of 2,247
Quad ERA-1 a keeper for sure.....sophisticated can....still getting to grips with all its doing.

Trying to whittle down to 2x planar IEMs (open/closed) and 2x planar cans (open/closed)...think my closed can will be Ether CX with Audeze leather pads....they transform quite a bit with pad rolling...it sounds like an open can also.

Anyone using modi multibit with ERA-1 ?

Would love to see how ERA-1 stand up to Abyss Diana Phi in a comparison.
I rank my modifed M565C equal to DCA Aeon 2C in everything except sub-bass quantity.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #1,319 of 2,247
Quad ERA-1 a keeper for sure.....sophisticated can....still getting to grips with all its doing.

Trying to whittle down to 2x planar IEMs (open/closed) and 2x planar cans (open/closed)...think my closed can will be Ether CX with Audeze leather pads....they transform quite a bit with pad rolling...it sounds like an open can also.

Anyone using modi multibit with ERA-1 ?

Would love to see how ERA-1 stand up to Abyss Diana Phi in a comparison.
I rank my modifed M565C equal to DCA Aeon 2C in everything except sub-bass quantity.
Yep the Diana looks very much like a potential upgrade to the Quad, I hope I get to hear it one day.
What do you think about the Ether CX versus the Quad? I almost bought a used pair a while ago.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,320 of 2,247
Yep the Diana looks very much like a potential upgrade to the Quad, I hope I get to hear it one day.
What do you think about the Ether CX versus the Quad? I almost bought a used pair a while ago.
Better imaging and layering on the Quads, the EtherCX with the deeper pads are more in the 'fun' direction...did not like them at all with stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back