QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #1,171 of 2,253
Must say how nice it is to have the ERA-1s back with me. My first unit, from a very early batch, failed within a week. As I have posted earlier on in this thread, I was assured that the replacement pair, which was replaced under warranty by the dealer, was from the latest batch to arrive in the UK (March 2019). These worked fine, and as expected. I then put them away in November 2019, to recycle through my collection of headphones. Upon putting the ERA-1s back into use, towards the end of August 2020, I found that the RHS driver had failed (or stopped working). It was kickstarted with a few taps, worked for a while and then failed again. Clearly there was an issue, and was symptoms were exactly the same as I had experienced with the first unit.

I then contacted the UK's Quad support centre (I had details from my earlier communications with them), and arranged for the unit to be sent back to them to be fixed under warranty. Upon inspection, I was informed that the second unit also experienced the same issues as the first unit, so Quad replaced both drivers with the revised version. I am now into my second week of use (after 3 days of break-in), and couldn't be happier. The Quad ERA-1s is a superb allrounder...

For those who are hesitating due to the issues reported, I would say Quad's warranty programme is second to none, and the service offered in the UK is absolutely superb, so don't let that put you off.
This is promising to hear as I sent mine back to the UK seller who said that Quad would replace them as they are under manufacturers warranty. I hope that I too get the revised version!

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #1,172 of 2,253
Must say how nice it is to have the ERA-1s back with me. My first unit, from a very early batch, failed within a week. As I have posted earlier on in this thread, I was assured that the replacement pair, which was replaced under warranty by the dealer, was from the latest batch to arrive in the UK (March 2019). These worked fine, and as expected. I then put them away in November 2019, to recycle through my collection of headphones. Upon putting the ERA-1s back into use, towards the end of August 2020, I found that the RHS driver had failed (or stopped working). It was kickstarted with a few taps, worked for a while, and then failed again. Clearly there was an issue, and the symptoms were exactly the same as I had experienced with the first unit.

I then contacted the UK's Quad support centre (I had details from my earlier communications with them) and arranged for the unit to be sent back to them to be fixed under warranty. Upon inspection, I was informed that the second unit also experienced the same issues as the first unit, so Quad replaced both drivers with the revised version. I am now into my second week of use (after 3 days of break-in), and couldn't be happier. The Quad ERA-1 is a superb allrounder...

For those who are hesitating due to the issues reported, I would say Quad's warranty programme is second to none, and the service offered in the UK is absolutely superb, so don't let that put you off.
That's good to hear. Do you know when they introduced the revised version?

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,173 of 2,253
That's good to hear. Do you know when they introduced the revised version?
I was told 1st quarter 2019 but wasn't given a definitive date, so would be safe to assume March 2019 - excerpt from the email exchange;
"Yes there was a problem and it hard to tell but it does not look like you had the later modified drivers as we will informed at the time. So both drivers have been replaced now."

Also, to my question as to how Quad ensures replacement drivers are matched to the original if a single driver is replaced, below was the reply;
"Every single driver is tested against a master reference which was designed and is regularly calibrated. Any deviation from the master reference is rejected."

However, it is best if you get both drivers replaced at the same time, since, by doing so, you stand a better chance of having a matched pair of (new) drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #1,174 of 2,253
Must say how nice it is to have the ERA-1s back with me. My first unit, from a very early batch, failed within a week. As I have posted earlier on in this thread, I was assured that the replacement pair, which was replaced under warranty by the dealer, was from the latest batch to arrive in the UK (March 2019). These worked fine, and as expected. I then put them away in November 2019, to recycle through my collection of headphones. Upon putting the ERA-1s back into use, towards the end of August 2020, I found that the RHS driver had failed (or stopped working). It was kickstarted with a few taps, worked for a while, and then failed again. Clearly there was an issue, and the symptoms were exactly the same as I had experienced with the first unit.

I then contacted the UK's Quad support centre (I had details from my earlier communications with them) and arranged for the unit to be sent back to them to be fixed under warranty. Upon inspection, I was informed that the second unit also experienced the same issues as the first unit, so Quad replaced both drivers with the revised version. I am now into my second week of use (after 3 days of break-in), and couldn't be happier. The Quad ERA-1 is a superb allrounder...

Again QC issues... with two units. Really discouraging.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #1,175 of 2,253
I was told 1st quarter 2019 but wasn't given a definitive date, so would be safe to assume March 2019 - excerpt from the email exchange;
"Yes there was a problem and it hard to tell but it does not look like you had the later modified drivers as we will informed at the time. So both drivers have been replaced now."

Also, to my question as to how Quad ensures replacement drivers are matched to the original if a single driver is replaced, below was the reply;
"Every single driver is tested against a master reference which was designed and is regularly calibrated. Any deviation from the master reference is rejected."

However, it is best if you get both drivers replaced at the same time, since, by doing so, you stand a better chance of having a matched pair of (new) drivers.
That makes sense, thanks. I probably have the updated drivers (November 2019).

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,177 of 2,253
Not necessarily, since it seems that both units I received were from the older batch(es) that had QC issues. Hence the reason both drivers were replaced even if only the RHS driver failed.
I think it's really good of a company to replace faults with their products so the customer gets the experience that they intended. Especially from my experience where no questions were asked.
There is a problem, we know there are potential problems so we will fix/replace the issue. For free.
Hats off to Quad!

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,178 of 2,253
I finally got myself a pair. I saved money and got them as an open box item from Music Direct. The sound is exactly what I was looking for. I was ecstatic....until the left driver died about fifteen minutes in. I'm beyond frustrated. Once I return them, I'll need to decide if I want to get a brand new pair or go another direction entirely. I've always been nervous about open box items, but I was able to convince myself I was being irrational. Go figure.

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #1,181 of 2,253
I'm considering ordering them from Apos Audio because of the extended warranty they offer. It would definitely give me some peace of mind, should I go that route.
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much if you can get a 2 or 3 year warranty. I'd just be cautious with the headphones itself, maybe there is a fragile part somewhere?

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,182 of 2,253
Got mine since juli 2019.
No issues so far and hope it'll stay fine all the way. :)

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,183 of 2,253
Got mine since juli 2019.
No issues so far and hope it'll stay fine all the way. :)
I have also stressed both of mine two set firmly, just to see if normal use has an impact, but until now all is ok. As earlier said, I am just overwhelmed over these cans “all-round-all-over-happiness”. As all deep falling in love situations, ones get over the top emotional, and maybe also blind over flaws not even noticed? But, for now – my god I love them!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,184 of 2,253
I switched back to the velour pads and I think I will definitely stick to these. They mostly fix the timbre issue I have with the leather ones and just sound more transparent overall. Very very similar to the HD600 with slightly more energy in the top end and of course that effortless planar (almost electrostatic) sound that is quite amazing. Listening to the Tenet soundtrack now, what a treat (and movie) :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #1,185 of 2,253
I switched back to the velour pads and I think I will definitely stick to these. They mostly fix the timbre issue I have with the leather ones and just sound more transparent overall. Very very similar to the HD600 with slightly more energy in the top end and of course that effortless planar (almost electrostatic) sound that is quite amazing. Listening to the Tenet soundtrack now, what a treat (and movie) :)
That's a wake up call for me, I'll find the velour pads tonight, and really test them out again. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back