QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Sep 20, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,186 of 2,269
Just acquired a pair in a trade. I actually had never heard of them until yesterday. I have a couple really nice tube amps. Anybody have experience on how these scale to pretty high-end equipment? I have a Auris Nirvana which is a 6.5v tube amp. I’m very curious to see how they pair.

I just realize this is my 500th Post. First off I’d like to thank my wife for being understanding LOL. I wanted to thank everybody else who made this day possible. It is such a honor to post 500 times LOL.

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #1,188 of 2,269
Hi
Just bought a new pair and feeling a bit underwhelmed at the moment. I have been using Grado GS1000e, and the Quad sound flat in comparison. I have an AK SP1000m and little dot 2 tube amp
Do they need burning in?

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,189 of 2,269
Hi
Just bought a new pair and feeling a bit underwhelmed at the moment. I have been using Grado GS1000e, and the Quad sound flat in comparison. I have an AK SP1000m and little dot 2 tube amp
Do they need burning in?
Hard to say for sure but I do think they need burn in. I thought they sounded good when I first got them but not amazing. You can find some old comments that I made here about the timbre being nothing special. I still think that but only with the leathers pads lol. I think they opened up beautifully, especially when using the velour ones. Hey maybe that was the pads breaking in, who knows. But if you're a midrange guy, I think the Quad deliver pretty well.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #1,190 of 2,269
Hi
Do they need burning in?
I think I know what you mean, the Grados are more all over dynamic/"powerful" when directly compared. I had to give them some time, playing in my brain, ears and Quads for a period, then they presented the full detailed and much more both "powerful", dynamic and subtle sound for me. But that's me. 😜 ❤️

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #1,191 of 2,269
I think I know what you mean, the Grados are more all over dynamic/"powerful" when directly compared. I had to give them some time, playing in my brain, ears and Quads for a period, then they presented the full detailed and much more both "powerful", dynamic and subtle sound for me. But that's me. 😜 ❤️
Maybe I was a little to fast here, I compared with Grado RS2E, and after a quick read I see that those Grados you mentioned, are different, so..., and I have never testet them. 😜😔🌞 All Grados are not the same after all. 😊

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #1,192 of 2,269
Just bought a new pair and feeling a bit underwhelmed at the moment...

Give it some time, they are afaik very differently tuned and you'll probably have to get used to the sound signature of the ERA-1. They might of course still not be what you want, but don't judge prematurely.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #1,193 of 2,269
Hi Just bought a new pair and feeling a bit underwhelmed at the moment. I have been using Grado GS1000e, and the Quad sound flat in comparison. I have an AK SP1000m and little dot 2 tube amp Do they need burning in?

I have always had an ambivalence about burning in headphones. I thought it was a kind of placebo- effect or something. Previously, I only listened to music from traditional stereos, so it for sure there was important to burn in the speakers. Now I gradually must admit that it is also important to burn in headphones.

As an example, I can use this: Had a set of Quads that were fully burnt in, got a brand-new identical second set, and then the burn in phenomena really hit me in the real world. I saw how different both sets were on the same rig. Because they could also sound differently for other reasons, I also had that in the back of my mind. Now the new set is starting to open, and I definitely see that they are almost “there” my first set are, so I am sure it is because of the burn in, that is now soon coming to a end also with my second set.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,195 of 2,269
Thanks for all responses
Anatman How long is the burn in process?
How did the pre burn in set sound against the older model?
I am not sure how long, but at least over 100 hours for sure. And that is not logical I think, but anyway, that is my experience. The first set I also burnt in with overnight whit-pink noise, and some low frequent bass tones.

The second set was more all over “thin”, not full body if you get my picture? And more closed, less detailed, a bit “muffled” I noticed when compare, and less dynamic.

Worth saying is that none of these “flaws” was noticed when listening to the very first set of these, just pure joy, and bliss. So there is that.

The second set has only been burnt in with music, no pink noise or anything. The first days overnight on YouTube-music for around 10 hours each night. They still have marginal less body (maybe that is the timbre “mobbaddict” is talking about, the bodyness?), less dynamic, but they are far more full then when new.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,196 of 2,269
I am doing unorthodox/unacceptable experiment with different pads. I know it is a horror and a pain in the mind, but – but! The pads here are aftermarket “Grados+Beyerdynamic”, both the set glued and in love with each other, and the lonely “Grados”.

The two Quads has each velour and the whole leather as “base”, see pictures.

If anybody has lying around pads, try and see! I am really surprised, and a little chocked over the fantastic changes, all over the sound picture. And the slam, the SLAM? The bass? Wow!

I used the same songs when testing: “Message man” and "Jericho", Twenty One Pilots (BlurryFace), MQA/Audirvana/TidalMaster. See pictures of the Frankenstein madness…

20200922_113706.jpg20200922_113754.jpg20200922_113803.jpg20200922_113811.jpgScreenshot_20200922-002337_Audirvana (R).jpg20200922_114641.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #1,197 of 2,269
Uten navn.jpg
The Vikings are not coming anymore, they are just listening, and rest in craziness.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #1,198 of 2,269
I am doing unorthodox/unacceptable experiment with different pads. I know it is a horror and a pain in the mind, but – but! The pads here are aftermarket “Grados+Beyerdynamic”, both the set glued and in love with each other, and the lonely “Grados”.

The two Quads has each velour and the whole leather as “base”, see pictures.

If anybody has lying around pads, try and see! I am really surprised, and a little chocked over the fantastic changes, all over the sound picture. And the slam, the SLAM? The bass? Wow!

I used the same songs when testing: “Message man” and "Jericho", Twenty One Pilots (BlurryFace), MQA/Audirvana/TidalMaster. See pictures of the Frankenstein madness…

20200922_113706.jpg20200922_113754.jpg20200922_113803.jpg20200922_113811.jpgScreenshot_20200922-002337_Audirvana (R).jpg20200922_114641.jpg
Lol that looks crazy :smile: I would expect deeper pads to deliver more bass/slam. That's the thing that's a bit frustrating with the velour pads. They sound super open but also a bit lean in the lows. I wish they were a bit deeper.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,199 of 2,269
Looks like a triple whopper. :o2smile:
This is screw**g crazy. ^^

Nice job, but not suitable for me.

For the slam i recently purchased the D7200.
I'm happy to switch between the Era-1, SEM5 and D7200 on my different moods. :sunglasses:

Anyway, have fun with your Quads, Sven. :)

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #1,200 of 2,269
For the slam i recently purchased the D7200.
I'm happy to switch between the Era-1, SEM5 and D7200 on my different moods. :sunglasses:
I just bought JVC SZ2000, and I hate it. Will try to get rid of it as soon as possible. Bought it without testing. The Denon you referred to, is it any way near the JVC you think? Maybe you don't have tested the JVC? I read about them before buying, I would have a real bass-experience when in mood, but, oh my god. 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back