QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Sep 22, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,201 of 2,255
"For the slam i recently purchased the D7200"

I see now I can buy a almost new set used for 600€, and new they cost 800€. Maybe I must go for them. 😊

Screenshot_20200923-001609_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #1,202 of 2,255
I just received the Dekoni leather pads for my hd600 and it's funny how similar they sound to the Quad with the leather pads. Just smoother in the top end. Bass slam compares surprisingly well. It just goes to confirm how pads can impact sound. But the Quad leather pads are definitely not made by Dekoni though, they look a bit different.

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,203 of 2,255
I don't know anything about the JVC's.
But mostly i use the D7200 for Metal and Rock, based on my mood.
For my dubstep listening i do prefer the SEM5 or the Era-1 most of the time.

My Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid, made for the Era-1, fit all three of them perfectly, so i can run them all balanced out of the R28. :)
Slam and the very lows are outstanding on the D7200 with "neutral" mids and clear highs. It's worth to consider, imo.

For acoustic/classical music i do prefer the Era-1 or the SEM5.

Aren't we lucky to have such a choice nowadays? :beerchug:

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #1,204 of 2,255
I just received the Dekoni leather pads for my hd600 and it's funny how similar they sound to the Quad with the leather pads. Just smoother in the top end. Bass slam compares surprisingly well. It just goes to confirm how pads can impact sound. But the Quad leather pads are definitely not made by Dekoni though, they look a bit different.
I have never heard of ths pads, Dekoni? Relatively high price range? They must be good?

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,205 of 2,255
I don't know anything about the JVC's.
But mostly i use the D7200 for Metal and Rock, based on my mood.
For my dubstep listening i do prefer the SEM5 or the Era-1 most of the time.

My Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid, made for the Era-1, fit all three of them perfectly, so i can run them all balanced out of the R28. :)
Slam and the very lows are outstanding on the D7200 with "neutral" mids and clear highs. It's worth to consider, imo.

For acoustic/classical music i do prefer the Era-1 or the SEM5.

Aren't we lucky to have such a choice nowadays? :beerchug:
Yes! Absolutely! We are like spoiled childs, sitting in the middle of our favorite toys with a melting grin in our face... But, and but and the butter! I am working in the psychiatry business, and: Music is mindblowing for our mind, our happiness and our whole existence! A lot of new research showing even depressed people can recover just listening to music! Parts of the brain produces dopamine, a neurotransmitter that makes you feel happy, and it's not just that - this process when used over a time period, upgrades the whole brain! This is far out! Glu the headset on the ears!

Read this article, it's not a scientific proof based one, but I can assure you all that this is the ****ing truth! And if interested, there's a lo of scientific articles for the special interested...
https://www.ucf.edu/pegasus/your-brain-on-music/

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,206 of 2,255
I will also point out a phenomenon that is occurred when using “the tunnel of pads”. This is pure physics, due to the increased distance to the eardrum, one can give the DAC/Amplifier a lot more juice.

And what happens to the headphones when given more juice? They open more up, much more than I thought was possible, they shine much more, they are more alive all over, really! I have had groundbreaking experiences here! Have self-experience with cans that almost burst my ears when given the "right" amount of juice, but when increase the distance to eardrum, this problem disappears totally, and a totally new experience happens! Wow!

Of course, there are crap-cans that cannot deliver with this Frankenstein-experiment, they just not have ability to shine when pounding juice is presented for them, but that is their problem. RIP for/over those fatigue/exhausted cans, that when tested in this craziness totally fall under the weather.

Soooo, then it is a question of comfort, stress?, and what parts of the music is destroyed/muffled when tunnels of pads interference with the waves of sound?
For me this is a little experiment, its really cheap to do money wise, and one can change settings in many ways, I’m not gluing any parts to the original Quad-pads, just the clamping force that’s hold it together. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :ksc75smile: :robot: :flag_no::hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #1,207 of 2,255
I have never heard of ths pads, Dekoni? Relatively high price range? They must be good?
Yes a bit expensive, like 70-80€. But the effect is better than expected on the HD600. It enhances the bass impact and lower midrange presence as well as soundstage depth, while keeping things smooth and transparent in the top end. If they had the technical abilities of the Quad or of my Stax, I think it could be my endgame. But that would be too simple :yum: But it makes me realize that as nice and impressive the Quad is, I have a little issue with its top end. It's a bit too clear for my tastes in comparison (I wouldn't say bright though).

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #1,208 of 2,255
Yes a bit expensive, like 70-80€. But the effect is better than expected on the HD600. It enhances the bass impact and lower midrange presence as well as soundstage depth, while keeping things smooth and transparent in the top end. If they had the technical abilities of the Quad or of my Stax, I think it could be my endgame. But that would be too simple :yum: But it makes me realize that as nice and impressive the Quad is, I have a little issue with its top end. It's a bit too clear for my tastes in comparison (I wouldn't say bright though).
Yes, I am totally agree with you in relation to what you say about the top end. I have now just accepted it, and then the worries about it goes away, and then I suddenly accept and also really like the bright sun who is shining in my ears. :darthsmile:

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #1,210 of 2,255
Yes, I am totally agree with you in relation to what you say about the top end. I have now just accepted it, and then the worries about it goes away, and then I suddenly accept and also really like the bright sun who is shining in my ears. :darthsmile:
Thankfully it's more of a gentle mediterranean sun, not a desertic subsaharien one :smile:

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,211 of 2,255
@anatmam thanks for the info about music and well being; I will use this to pursuade my wife that I need the Focal Utopia or Abyss
My wife has been forced to read that article, but I forced here also to thoroughly read heavy research documents that we have at my workplace... Well, this hobby isn't for free? So one has to do what one need to do. Sigh...
:deadhorse::shrug::speaking_head::couple_with_heart::muscle::japanese_ogre::innocent:

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #1,212 of 2,255
For this purpose, you can use deeper pads, which adds a bit more mid-bass and tame the high frequencies by a bit bc of more reflections and a larger distance between the driver and your ear canal.
E.g. take the leather ones. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit:
Or you've to buy a good r2r-dac, this is the best workaround, imo. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #1,213 of 2,255
@anatmam thanks for the info about music and well being; I will use this to pursuade my wife that I need the Focal Utopia or Abyss
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Nice move, good luck. :)

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,214 of 2,255
For this purpose, you can use deeper pads, which adds a bit more mid-bass and tame the high frequencies by a bit bc of more reflections and a larger distance between the driver and your ear canal.
E.g. take the leather ones. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit:
Or you've to buy a good r2r-dac, this is the best workaround, imo. :wink:
Yeah yeah I know and that's why I like the balance of the leather pads, but then I lose some transparency:cry: To me the Quad sounds like a high-end can with the velour pads. I'm not even sure there's a high-end planar with the kind of signature I'm looking for. Maybe the Empy. I'd have to hear the Abyss models again (maybe Diana V2). Or Susvara but come on it's 10 times the price of the Quad, it's ridiculous.

Does the audio gd tame the top end of the Quad? I was thinking of switching to a topping L30 based on the reviews.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,215 of 2,255
Eh, what is that? My Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digitals? The "r2r" is is news for me, could you give me a hint? What's better if ex my Pro-Jects are not r2r?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back