QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,096 of 2,247
I'm a bit jealous you're able to use the velour pads. :sunglasses:
Can't stand with longer than a few minutes because of their size/ the size of my ears. ^^
Lol really? I find them more comfy because they put less pressure on my head. But my ears are small enough. I can feel the driver moving sometimes I think though :smile:

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,097 of 2,247
My ears just fit and no more, they fill the whole space. I felt something brush my ear last night, is that the driver moving then?

Taking the pressure off is a big plus, I really enjoyed my music last night. I'll give the velour pads a good bit of listening time then switch back to hear the difference but I can see me sticking with with them.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #1,098 of 2,247
My ears just fit and no more, they fill the whole space. I felt something brush my ear last night, is that the driver moving then?

Taking the pressure off is a big plus, I really enjoyed my music last night. I'll give the velour pads a good bit of listening time then switch back to hear the difference but I can see me sticking with with them.
I think it might be the driver moving air, yes. I noticed it happens with deep bass with the velour pads.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,099 of 2,247
Hi, anyone driving the ERA-1's with the Sabaj D5? I was driving mine with our Quad Vena II amp but that has now been moved to a different room so I'm back driving them with the Schiit Modi III / Magni III. But I'd like something with a remote. My current thinking is the Sabaj D5, RME-ADI fs or the Topping D90 & the upcoming P90 amp with remote (or whatever its called). TBH the RME seems a little too over complicated for my needs & I've read that the Sabaj offers pretty much the same sound but without the bells & whistles. Now I'm sure the D90/A90 combo will win hands down but the remote version of the A90 isn't available yet & yes the combo will cost 2x+ the price of the Sabaj D5. The only other cans I'll be using at the moment are my lovely old (20yrs) HD600's. So the SABAJ D5, what are your thoughts?

Aug 21, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #1,100 of 2,247
Hi, anyone driving the ERA-1's with the Sabaj D5? I was driving mine with our Quad Vena II amp but that has now been moved to a different room so I'm back driving them with the Schiit Modi III / Magni III. But I'd like something with a remote. My current thinking is the Sabaj D5, RME-ADI fs or the Topping D90 & the upcoming P90 amp with remote (or whatever its called). TBH the RME seems a little too over complicated for my needs & I've read that the Sabaj offers pretty much the same sound but without the bells & whistles. Now I'm sure the D90/A90 combo will win hands down but the remote version of the A90 isn't available yet & yes the combo will cost 2x+ the price of the Sabaj D5. The only other cans I'll be using at the moment are my lovely old (20yrs) HD600's. So the SABAJ D5, what are your thoughts?
I have the RME ADi-2 DAC and it drives the Quad superbly on it's own. I don't think an external headphone amp is needed.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,101 of 2,247
Hey everyone! First-time poster here. Can anyone speak to how the Quad sounds with metal music? I've been researching an upgrade from my HD 6XX and have lately been focused on the Quad. The descriptions make it sound like it's right up my alley. I listen to an extremely wide variety of music, a lot of which sounds great on the 6XX. Metal, however, is definitely lackluster for me on them.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,102 of 2,247
Hey everyone! First-time poster here. Can anyone speak to how the Quad sounds with metal music? I've been researching an upgrade from my HD 6XX and have lately been focused on the Quad. The descriptions make it sound like it's right up my alley. I listen to an extremely wide variety of music, a lot of which sounds great on the 6XX. Metal, however, is definitely lackluster for me on them.
Yes. :smile:

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,103 of 2,247
Joking aside.

I do listen from Amaranthe to Unleash the archers and the Era-1 is doing a phenomenal job on it. :beerchug:

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #1,104 of 2,247
I enjoyed Nightwish a lot. Jinjer also.. Full powerful sound.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,106 of 2,247
The Quads do very well with metal. Nice midrange energy on the guitars, very good bass thump on the drums, vocals sound very natural. The treble is not sharp with cymbals and other high frequency sounds, so you have a lot freedom on volume dial.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,108 of 2,247
Without the need of any EQ, do these headphones have a strong sub bass rumble and visceral thump? The type of bass vibration you can feel? Will these headphones work with Techno music, which calls for thunderous bass?
I don't know if you can feel a headphone speaker vibrate and if it's even something desirable, but the Quad does go super low in the bass. There's barely no roll off to speak about. It's stupid good on dance or rap music. I've been enjoying house music like Gui Boratto on these. If you like linear bass that digs super low, this headphone will deliver. I imagine a closed planar would be even better for impact.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,109 of 2,247
I don't know if you can feel a headphone speaker vibrate and if it's even something desirable, but the Quad does go super low in the bass. There's barely no roll off to speak about. It's stupid good on dance or rap music. I've been enjoying house music like Gui Boratto on these. If you like linear bass that digs super low, this headphone will deliver. I imagine a closed planar would be even better for impact.
Agreed, the Quads do go very low, but my Audeze LCD-XC's have more impact. The XC's hit hard and fast.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,110 of 2,247
Agreed, the Quads do go very low, but my Audeze LCD-XC's have more impact. The XC's hit hard and fast.
with similar definition?
How do they compare on musical enjoyment? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back