QUAD ERA-1 Thread
May 2, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #901 of 2,247
From what I read about the Quads they seemed to be pretty much what I was looking for. Something that could fill the gap after I sold my Sennheiser HD6XX. I wasn't thrilled about them and mostly cause I felt they were not extended enough in the lower regions. Loved the midrange and how I could listen to them for hours without feeling any fatigue at all. If the Quads are brighter than the Elex I'm glad I picked the Quads cause I have no problem at all with the brightness of the Quads with sheepskin pads. Since I can't audition many of the headphones I listed here in my hometown I have to take a chance buying stuff. Reading reviews and forums is my way of making decisions and so far it's been going well 😄. But buying stuff always make me ask the question, did I make the best decision? From what I hear listening to them and what you guys saying I think the Quads maybe is the best choice for now. Thank you!
I think the Quad is a sure bet for someone looking for a Sennheiser HD6** with deeper bass :wink: It shares the same main quality: you can listen to them for hours without any auditory fatigue. It may just be a bit brighter depending on which Sennheiser you compare it to.

May 2, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #902 of 2,247
I just love Quads tonality, Clear is -from memory- maybe sort of similar, even more mid - vocal centric, maybe more sibilant. sure, I tested it on totally other gear. But from Quads you get everything than from Clears,maybe better and for a lot less money. I haven´t been happier since :)

May 10, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #904 of 2,247
I've had mine a little more than a week now and happy that I chose to go for these headphones. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, technically brilliant with a lot of timbre and soul in them. Only thing I'm having issues with is wearing them with glasses which is a problem with a lot of headphones. I have switched to the flat hybrid pads just because they are more comfortable when wearing glasses.

The Quads are definitely my go to headphones but I probably will switch to my Purplehearts when I feel like party hard in my head.

May 10, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #905 of 2,247
I gotta say, I tried these on my Cavalli Tube Hybrid with an aftermarket tube that sounds much more natural than the stock Electro harmonix and I thought the Quads were awful. Female vocals were unclear, all you could hear was the beginning of words.. Bass was textured and amazing but the mids weren't worth $100 let alone the $500 I paid for them

May 10, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #906 of 2,247
I gotta say, I tried these on my Cavalli Tube Hybrid with an aftermarket tube that sounds much more natural than the stock Electro harmonix and I thought the Quads were awful. Female vocals were unclear, all you could hear was the beginning of words.. Bass was textured and amazing but the mids weren't worth $100 let alone the $500 I paid for them
I would say either try the Quads on a powerful solid state amp or give them some burn in period. In my opinion the Quad has a great mid-range which holds the comparison with my Stax Lambda and my HD600. But at first I was a bit underwhelmed by its timbre when I got it (I only had a portable amp then).

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #907 of 2,247
I would say either try the Quads on a powerful solid state amp or give them some burn in period. In my opinion the Quad has a great mid-range which holds the comparison with my Stax Lambda and my HD600. But at first I was a bit underwhelmed by its timbre when I got it (I only had a portable amp then).

I bought them used. I understand what you drive stuff with can make a difference, but it wasn't natural to me at all and had an hd600 for direct comparison. CTH is not going to do Headphones with peaks any favors though. If I had another amp I'm sure I could've found a used for them, couldn't drive them off an es100 single ended, so they had to go.

May 10, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #908 of 2,247
I bought them used. I understand what you drive stuff with can make a difference, but it wasn't natural to me at all and had an hd600 for direct comparison. CTH is not going to do Headphones with peaks any favors though. If I had another amp I'm sure I could've found a used for them, couldn't drive them off an es100 single ended, so they had to go.
I don't have any experience with tubes but what i can say is that the Quad doesn't sound too different from the HD600 on a solid state. And the differences are more in its favor (technically). It does have a slightly more peaky upper mid or treble though.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #909 of 2,247
I'm running my Quads off both a ifi hip dac or a CTH (+ LPS, NOS Siemens and Heed Abacus dac) and think the latter one is a very fine combination. Sounds a lot better (except maybe midrange, but still very good) then my Sennheiser HD 6XX used to do running on the same equipment.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #910 of 2,247
Just got back home after 1 month away. I had the Quad with me but only a portable amp and the velour pads. Just a couple observations which are interesting to make after such a long period:
- the leather pads are like a version on steroid with more bass and better 3D imaging. But I still find the sound more natural and balanced (mid-centric) with the velour pads.
- the desktop amp definitely brings the Quad into high-end territory. It's a very decent headphone otherwise.

May 13, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #911 of 2,247
Just got back home after 1 month away. I had the Quad with me but only a portable amp and the velour pads. Just a couple observations which are interesting to make after such a long period:
- the leather pads are like a version on steroid with more bass and better 3D imaging. But I still find the sound more natural and balanced (mid-centric) with the velour pads.
- the desktop amp definitely brings the Quad into high-end territory. It's a very decent headphone otherwise.
What amps are you using, both portable and desktop? I'm might switch my CTH for a Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear Diamond Edition, anyone with thoughts on that?

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #912 of 2,247
What amps are you using, both portable and desktop? I'm might switch my CTH for a Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear Diamond Edition, anyone with thoughts on that?
Nothing too fancy, i don't believe in spending thousands on amps. I have a Fiio K5 Pro and a small Fiio E5. I don't know what is the sweet spot for the Quad in terms of power. The Graham is only 140mw at 32 ohm though, why is that so weak? I'm not sure it's the best choice for planars.

May 13, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #913 of 2,247
Nothing too fancy, i don't believe in spending thousands on amps. I have a Fiio K5 Pro and a small Fiio E5. I don't know what is the sweet spot for the Quad in terms of power. The Graham is only 140mw at 32 ohm though, why is that so weak? I'm not sure it's the best choice for planars.

Rated input power for the Quads is 100mW (20 ohm) so I think the Graham Slee Solo is perfectly fine driving them. But maybe I just stick to my CTH, it's a fine amp especially with the added LPS.

May 13, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #914 of 2,247
Rated input power for the Quads is 100mW (20 ohm) so I think the Graham Slee Solo is perfectly fine driving them. But maybe I just stick to my CTH, it's a fine amp especially with the added LPS.
Yes it should be enough, the CTH delivers 1W at 50 ohm! I know that Quad rates the Era-1 at 100mw but I'm not sure that's enough, it's the kind of power my E5 delivers.

May 13, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #915 of 2,247
Planars tend to sound best with a "bit" more power on hand.
While the Era-1 sounds good out of the V30 and Btr5 i own, they are not capable to deliver the rumble presented by my R28.

So to speak, if you want all the lows from the Era-1, you've to spend much more power.
It's really crazy how they'll change, especially in the lows, with a good amount of current delivered. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back