QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Apr 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #871 of 2,247
Just got these in a week ago and I am ABSOLUTELY in love with the Quad's (Sound absolutely amazing)! The only thing that bothers me is that I get like a driver crinkle in the right earcup if I yawn or move my head. Is this normal or is this going to be a problem?

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #872 of 2,247
Just got these in a week ago and I am ABSOLUTELY in love with the Quad's (Sound absolutely amazing)! The only thing that bothers me is that I get like a driver crinkle in the right earcup if I yawn or move my head. Is this normal or is this going to be a problem?
Not sure exactly what you mean by a crinkle, but with mine the right side would drop out with movement and come back, then do it again. Had to send back to Quad for repair and has been perfect since. If bought new I would get back to store as soon as you can, otherwise I'd say keep a watch on it and return for warrently repair if it continues.

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #873 of 2,247
The only thing that bothers me is that I get like a driver crinkle in the right earcup if I yawn or move my head. Is this normal or is this going to be a problem?

Prolly no problem, but if you've the chance then go for a replacement.
The ERA are well-build while the whole construct is not really flawless, these problem can also occour on the left side and sometimes I've the feeling that there is some tension on the metal grid that creates a nasty ping noise too.

See also postings #467 and #468

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #874 of 2,247
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I do hear some kind of crack when my jaws move. I don't think this is coming from the cups but rather from the plastic part joining the earcups and the headband, or from the headband itself. I don't see how it could be coming from the drivers.

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #875 of 2,247

This can happen with planar magnetic drivers. When you put the headphones on air is trapped in the cup and creates a pressure zone and that sounds is the diaphragm moving from your movement. Stax have a similar phenomenon. Do a Google search for “Stax fart.”

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #876 of 2,247
This can happen with planar magnetic drivers. When you put the headphones on air is trapped in the cup and creates a pressure zone and that sounds is the diaphragm moving from your movement. Stax have a similar phenomenon. Do a Google search for “Stax fart.”
I'm not sure this is the same phenomenon. The Stax fart happens when you push the earpads against your head, generating indeed air pressure inside it (very noticeable with SR-007 mk1). I don't hear that with the Quad (only have the velour pads with me at the moment though...).

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #877 of 2,247
I have also read about this (the crinkle) happening with HiFi Man headphones.

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #878 of 2,247
I'm not sure this is the same phenomenon. The Stax fart happens when you push the earpads against your head, generating indeed air pressure inside it (very noticeable with SR-007 mk1). I don't hear that with the Quad (only have the velour pads with me at the moment though...).

Crinkling/clicking/static sound when I press on the earcup
Since air is trapped between your head and the diaphragm it creates a pressure zone, and as the headphones shift with movement you may hear a slight crinkling sound from the diaphragm. This is a normal occurrence with planar magnetic drivers and is nothing to be concerned about, it's the sound of the thin diaphragm moving back and forth with the changes in air pressure.

Sometimes as the driver film stretches slightly with age, the sound can become more apparent, and sometimes it may also lessen again. This is mostly influenced by factors in your environment (such as temperature and humidity), and we don't have control over whether or not this occurs.

We recommend exercising certain cautions when handling planar magnetic headphones: trapped air can create high pressure and sudden pressure changes could damage the diaphragms, and this is not covered by warranty. When you put the headphones on or take them off, it's not a good idea to press them hard and fast against the head, so we recommend slow and steady movement to allow the air pressure to stabilize.

Pretty sure this is what he’s experiencing. I’ve owned over a dozen planar magnetic headphones over the years and only had this happen with the LCD-MX and it only happened once, so I don’t believe it’s as common.

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #879 of 2,247

Pretty sure this is what he’s experiencing. I’ve owned over a dozen planar magnetic headphones over the years and only had this happen with the LCD-MX and it only happened once, so I don’t believe it’s as common.
Plenty of mention in some HFM threads a few years back where people were noticing the crinkling sound and were concerned but reassured that this is entirely possible with planar membranes and is not an indication of problems.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #880 of 2,247
Closed phones I could understand, but open? On open phones they should be able to design a breathing vent to prevent this, no?

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #882 of 2,247
Closed phones I could understand, but open? On open phones they should be able to design a breathing vent to prevent this, no?
Not really.
A german distributor of audeze told me that it isn't a wise move to hang sound playing audezes on a stand which closed the cups (like some sievekings as an example).
It'll force the membran to touch the stacks bc of the introduced air pressure and can cause driver failure. :wink:

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #884 of 2,247
Hi, brand new here! Received these in the mail today, and I'm quite impressed with the combination of build and sound quality. Makes a nice pairing with my Elear (with elex pads). I'm very impressed with the treble as it feels very revealing for something that doesn't seem too harsh. actually in a lot of ways it seems comparable to my Elear setup, basically an Elex. What pads are you guys liking? I think the sheepskin are probably gonna be the mainstays for me.

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #885 of 2,247

Happens every time you move the EL-8 Open on your head. That headphone gets true vaccum level seal, and the crinkle happens regularly. So yeah, can defenitely happen with planar magnetic. I don't seem to be experiencing that with my new Quads, but I can't speak for the individual who is having that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back