1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

QUAD ERA-1 Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by FastAndClean, Apr 24, 2018.
First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Next

Last
  1. nicholars
    Do they need much amp power? More / less than the 2C? They are 20 ohm / 94db and my amp is about 1.2w at 32ohm, so I guess ok.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. negura
    They have lower impedance than the LCD2C, so if I remember right, the volume dial was a bit lower. But what's more important the Quads scale up significantly with quality amplification. Not a lot, but clean, transparent power.

3. arteom
    Forward mids is kinda the Quad house sound. Not talking specifically about headphones, but Quad gear in general. I say that having sold many pairs of Quad speakers / components. Let the battle continue!

4. FullBright1
    This set of headphone, for people who like it from first listen, will find it just gets better.
    I bought mine based on a recent review posted by "Inner-Fidelity".
    He stated they should be considered a "product of the year", and = Totally correct appraisal.

PaganDL likes this.
  5. FullBright1
    Quad engineers understand that "V" shape freq response, is a non-musical entity.
    "V" shape, is Audiophile anathema.
    So, they create a very wide midrange within their Sig sound, and some call this "forward".
    However, in most cases this means "too much" or "dry", or "U" shaped, however, in the case of the Quad ERA-1, its non of this, its simply a very wide midrange soundscape.
    The Aeon C's have a taste of this same type of sonic signature, ...they are created with a wider, not a forward, but a wider midrange, that allows for a more rich musical experience.
    The Quads sound a lot better, but the Aeon C's are certainly a good sounding set of headphones once you take out all the offending sound blocking filters and just let them run as designed.

PaganDL likes this.
  6. lugnut
    Are ear connections 2.5 or 3.5 ? Thanks

7. FullBright1
    You are right.
    The Quads sound better, and cost less.
    I think the Quad ERA-1s, are going to become a sort of HD600 type of legend, in a few years.
    It'll become one of those that all Audiophiles own and keep.
    Nothing sounds better for the price, but many sound different.

PaganDL likes this.
  8. donlin

9. nicholars
    The price is the same in UK, actually slightly more because you can get bundles with the 2C which end up a bit cheaper than the Quad, the question is whether the Quad is better. Do they have a better soundstage than the 2C? That would be something that would make me want to try the Quads as the 2C has a good soundstage and imaging already.

The other things that would be deal breakers, would be a lack of sub bass and "punchy" bass, also excessively bright or sibilant, but if they are similar to the 2C except with better soundstage and more neutral frequency response, they might be worth a look. Also they look like they need less amping than the 2C to sound good so that would be another positive thing, as well as the lower weight and probably better comfort.

Also do you know about Quad service? If you needed them repaired out of the 2 year warranty, would they be good? Slightly worrying they might get discontinued like Oppo for example and not be able to service them if any problems down the road

10. negura
    The LCD2C stage is somewhat wider. The Quads win imaging easily, much better instrument focus. Because the Quads hit harder across the FR range, the bass punch is more impactful. Both are relatively linear in the bass... LCD-2C need Reveal to help the bass a bit, the Quads err slightly on a little much bass. But I am spoiled by the modded HE-6s in bass reference quality.

They do not sound similar to the LCD2C. It's a different sound signature. Focal Clear are closer, HE-6 too. Audeze not really.

11. nicholars
    Can you tell me in detail what the difference is between the 2C and the Quads and what the Quads sound similar to? Do they sound anything like Sennheiser 6 series? I am tempted to try some of these, but also a bit hesitant as not much feedback etc.

12. negura
    No, they don't sound like the Senn 6 series either. I have a pair of (kiss modded) HD650. All these headphones benefit from top amplification, and boy do the HD650 scale to incredible levels. That said, hearing them after the Quads... it's not even worth comparing.

I just said in my previous postings what the Quads sound more similar to. They are not sounding exactly like those headphones as they have a great sound signature in its own right. If you are in the UK, it's easy enough to get a pair for a listen.

13. nicholars
    Does seem a lot of people in this thread also have other very good headphones and still like the Quads, so that is a good sign. Weird how they have almost no reviews etc.

14. lugnut
  15. nicholars
    I also noticed this Brainwavz planar, you have both I think? Which out of the 2 is better? Which has the biggest soundstage and the darker treble out of the 2? it sounds like these might actually be the same headphones eg. an OEM design with different brand and tuning? Thanks

First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Next

Last