QQ/Complain thread. Complain about anything!!!
May 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,231 of 5,627

Quote:
I had a boy, must have been about fourteen ask me to buy him some cigarettes outside my local supermarket. I refused. If he had asked me to buy him a lighter, I'm not sure how I would have responded as I'm not aware of any law prohibiting youths having lighters in my country.

I'm not sure if it's a law as much as it's just regulations that stores have...a lot of stores won't sell laser pointers to minors either.  It's kind of like how practically every video game store requires photo ID if you want to buy an M-rated game and don't look like you're over 30.  (which is why it would be so dumb to pass a legislation to actually federally regulate such matters.)

May 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,233 of 5,627

Quote:
I had a boy, must have been about fourteen ask me to buy him some cigarettes outside my local supermarket. I refused. If he had asked me to buy him a lighter, I'm not sure how I would have responded as I'm not aware of any law prohibiting youths having lighters in my country.

We can't buy:

Dry Ice
Glue
Canned Air (even if it has bittering agent)
Lighters
Knives
R rated movies and M games (I didn't know they actually enforced this, but my supermarket wouldn't let me buy a movie, so I downloaded it)
Helium
Flourescent Light bulbs (the long ones that are commonly used)
Lasers

Those are the ones I can think of right now. Several of these I understand, but it is still ridiculous.

May 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,234 of 5,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if it's a law as much as it's just regulations that stores have...a lot of stores won't sell laser pointers to minors either.  It's kind of like how practically every video game store requires photo ID if you want to buy an M-rated game and don't look like you're over 30.  (which is why it would be so dumb to pass a legislation to actually federally regulate such matters.)

Heh, I've never seen a store that sells laser pointers. Even I would have a hard time justifying why I would need a laser pointer.

"Can I have a laser pointer please?"
"What do you want it for?"
"Um...er to um, point at things"
"I'm sorry sir that's not a valid reason"
"Alright I'm a Jedi and I lost my LightSaber."

May 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,235 of 5,627

Quote:
We can't buy:

Dry Ice
Glue
Lighters
Knives
R rated movies and M games (I didn't know they actually enforced this, but my supermarket wouldn't let me buy a movie, so I downloaded it)
Helium
Lasers

Those are the ones I can think of right now. Several of these I understand, but it is still ridiculous.

Canned air is so much fun.  I love flash freezing things with it.  You can also turn it into a rather dangerous flamethrower though this is not recommended as it creates hydrogen fluoride which is bad.

May 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #1,236 of 5,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We can't buy:

Dry Ice
Glue
Lighters
Signed portraits of BobSaysHi
Knives
Helium
Lasers

Scene: Exterior store (think Clerks)

KId exits store holding balloon filled with Helium.

Police blockade store...

Officer: "Drop the balloon son! Step away from the balloon!" 

Dry ice flows from beneath kid's feet

Officer: "Open fire!"

May 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,237 of 5,627
So let me get this right... You can die for your country, but you can't buy a movie?
blink.gif

May 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,238 of 5,627

It's store regulation for games. We get fired instantly if we sell an M game underage, but it's not illegal.

Kind of the same deal with AO games and NC 17 movie. They just don't carry/show them, but there's no law against it.

May 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #1,240 of 5,627

Quote:
We can't buy:

Dry Ice
Glue
Lighters
Knives
Helium
Lasers

They asked my for my birthday when I bought Tylenol a few days ago to make sure I was over 18... pretty odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back