Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Nov 28, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #2,101 of 2,153
The article I read (linked below) seems to indicate that the Android 14 bit-perfect support requires OEM support as well. It's not completely clear, but it seems that OEM support would hint that it is somewhat hardware dependent. I'll be interested to see how it all pans out in the near future.
https://www.androidauthority.com/pixel-8-lossless-audio-update-3376171/
That article linked to a Google post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/google/comments/16zrrbf/comment/k4m6szv/
I don't think it is hardware dependent. He is saying that when an OEM builds an Android 14 release for their device, they need to update the Hardware Abstraction Layer portion of the Android software to match the device.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #2,102 of 2,153
Just used Qobuz with my iPad Pro, Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/AMP Sennheiser IE600. I’m just streaming over WiFi. When I go to up the sampling rate in Qobuz I get a warning that it will take a lot os storage space on my host device.

Does Qobuz temporarily store the song played, and the release the storage space on my iPad for the next song? I don’t want to use up all my iPad’s storage space.

I also plan to use my Chord Mojo2 in lieu of the Dragonfly. Can I up the sampling rate to accommodate the the better specs of the Chord Mojo2?

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #2,103 of 2,153
Does Qobuz temporarily store the song played, and the release the storage space on my iPad for the next song? I don’t want to use up all my iPad’s storage space.
Go to Qobuz app > Configuration > Storage > Cache Size and select the amount of storage that is available for storing temporarily the songs you play on Qobuz. The app will manage this space and won’t take any extra iPad storage.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #2,104 of 2,153
Weird question but - can I gift myself a Qobuz voucher?
I just checked their pricing and an annual Studio gift card is now 10% cheaper than buying an annual subscription...I cancelled my current plan earlier this year and it will end somewhere in december so I will have to extend and was thinking about buying a gift card and redeeming it myself, since it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #2,105 of 2,153
Weird question but - can I gift myself a Qobuz voucher?
I just checked their pricing and an annual Studio gift card is now 10% cheaper than buying an annual subscription...I cancelled my current plan earlier this year and it will end somewhere in december so I will have to extend and was thinking about buying a gift card and redeeming it myself, since it's cheaper.
It worked for me last year. Last year the Black Friday deal was 25% off — $97 for an annual subscription! In fact, somebody asked Qobuz customer service about it, and they said it was fine. They said cancel your current subscription so it won't auto renew (it will continue to work until the end of your prepaid term), then apply the voucher near the end of your current subscription.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #2,106 of 2,153
I've cancelled mine earlier this year, wonder if the 12 month voucher will add on top of my last ~month or will it just overwrite the currently remaining days.
+
Wait, what is this BS - the BF deal is gone and the normal price of a gift card is not €150 but €162 now? What!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,107 of 2,153
I've cancelled mine earlier this year, wonder if the 12 month voucher will add on top of my last ~month or will it just overwrite the currently remaining days.
+
Wait, what is this BS - the BF deal is gone and the normal price of a gift card is not €150 but €162 now? What!
Black Friday refers to Thanksgiving Holiday weekend in the US (a popular weekend for shopping and sales promotions). It was last weekend and now it has passed.

For those who already got a voucher, it will overwrite an existing subscription (not add on) so you should wait until near the end before using the voucher. That's how it worked last year.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,108 of 2,153
Black Friday refers to Thanksgiving Holiday weekend in the US (a popular weekend for shopping and sales promotions). It was last weekend and now it has passed.

For those who already got a voucher, it will overwrite an existing subscription (not add on) so you should wait until near the end before using the voucher. That's how it worked last year.
I completely forgot to look this year, and now I've missed it!! :rolling_eyes:

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 4, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #2,109 of 2,153
For those who may be interested (from the wall st. journal):

Spotify SPOT -2.39%decrease; red down pointing triangle
is preparing to lay off 17% of its workforce or about 1,500 employees, as the company accelerates its profitability push.

Chief Executive Daniel Ek announced the job cuts—the Stockholm-based company’s third round of layoffs this year—to staff Monday.

Despite efforts to reduce costs, Ek said Spotify is still spending too much money. The audio streaming company has been squeezed by slower economic growth as well as interest-rate increases that have made it more expensive to borrow, he said.
“The Spotify of tomorrow must be defined by being relentlessly resourceful in the ways we operate, innovate, and tackle problems,” he said in a 1,000-word letter to staff. “Being lean is not just an option but a necessity.”

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #2,111 of 2,153
Am I tripping or does Qobuz have a wider and airier soundstage compared to Tidal.

Any increase in soundstage is very noticeable using the LCD 4 so I can really hear the difference! I do prefer Tidal on some tracks as the vocals are closer and more intimate compared to the more spread out vocals with Qobuz.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #2,113 of 2,153
I don't have recently compared, but some years back I have compared Tidal and Qobuz for months. I clearly preferred Qobuz for reasons hard to quantify in language, but were more related to a tonality (filled with more real colors), rather than sound stage. Following.
I completely agree with this. I only tried for a couple of weeks, and Qobuz had slightly more punch in the bass, and was just slightly more enjoyable. Music stood out slightly better. But unfortunately, the Qobuz app on my streamer is utter crap, so I've chosen Tidal for now. The second Qobuz deliver better streamer apps, I'm switching.

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,114 of 2,153
I completely agree with this. I only tried for a couple of weeks, and Qobuz had slightly more punch in the bass, and was just slightly more enjoyable. Music stood out slightly better. But unfortunately, the Qobuz app on my streamer is utter crap, so I've chosen Tidal for now. The second Qobuz deliver better streamer apps, I'm switching.
You can use a 3rd party app like UAPP instead of the Qobuz app if you are using an Android device. Better sound, better operation. I never actually use the Qobuz app to stream.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #2,115 of 2,153
the Qobuz app on my streamer is utter crap, so I've chosen Tidal for now. The second Qobuz deliver better streamer apps, I'm switching.
The Qobuz interface on streamers (Blusound, WiiM, Volumio, etc) are their own, not provided by Qobuz. It is the streamer manufacturers that need to improve their apps.

Qobuz is working on Qobuz Connect (similar to Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect), which may be available later this year. It will allow you to use the Qobuz app like a remote control to play Qobuz content on the streamer (they will need to upgrade their firmware to support Qobuz Connect).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back