Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Oct 29, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #2,087 of 2,153
Yep, the Qobuz Windows app is not very well optimized for performance. I mainly use Audirvana for headphone listening, but use the native Qobuz app on occasion for my desktop speakers. The native app uses much more memory and CPU than Audirvana, and it will "studder" on occasion.
This is exactly my experience. Audirvana every time.

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,088 of 2,153
In case anyone is interested, I believe Qobuz just updated their 24/44.1 copy of Steely Dan's Aja from the 1999 remaster to a 24/192 copy of the the new Sept 2023 remaster overseen by Donald Fagen, which was based on a scan of an OG flat tape copy of the original Aja release.
Yes, noticed this too. When I saw the HiRes logo on the Aja album saved in 'My Favourites' I thought this was weird as it was always lossless 44.1kHz 16Bits before. Then I read into it 🙂

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #2,089 of 2,153
Yes, noticed this too. When I saw the HiRes logo on the Aja album saved in 'My Favourites' I thought this was weird as it was always lossless 44.1kHz 16Bits before. Then I read into it 🙂
This was the first time on Qobuz where a release was replaced by a higher bit rate release, and I didn't have to track it down to replace it in my favorites or playlists. I hope this is the start of a new trend when they replace releases on the service.

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #2,090 of 2,153
Oct 31, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #2,091 of 2,153
This was the first time on Qobuz where a release was replaced by a higher bit rate release, and I didn't have to track it down to replace it in my favorites or playlists. I hope this is the start of a new trend when they replace releases on the service.
For some reason, the version I had in my playlist got replaced by a crappy version of this album, not the awesome remaster.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #2,093 of 2,153
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #2,094 of 2,153
Which dongle / dacs are you guys using for iphone ?
I'm using a Chord Mojo2 DAC/Amp and it sound great. I have use the Apple Lightning to USB cable also, and then a Moon Audio cable from the Apple adapter to the USB-C input on the Mojo2. Of course this equipment chain is not as portable as a dongle style DAC. I'm looking at AudioQuest's line up for that. But to drive my Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noir while traveling the Mojo2 works great!

This hobby is addictive!!! :dt880smile:

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #2,096 of 2,153
Stop tempting me with expensive techno trickery 😊
Cheers.
As someone who mostly went BT and now has rediscovered cabled headphones pumping out hires music..I feel no guilt! :gs1000smile: Also don't forget IEM's. I'm loving the Sennhieser IE600.

To be serious for a moment, there is some really good headphones out there that are not $$$$$. I hope you find headphone Nirvana soon! This website, and the good people here can help with that.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #2,097 of 2,153
Your S23 will upscale everything to either 48 or 192. It's a problem baked into android usually referred to as sample rate conversion. UAPP bypasses this and plays bit perfect. The cheeky question, though, is can you hear any difference...
Hi I am really interested in this question. Do you hear difference?
I am trying Quobuz and I can hear a difference in sound. More bassy from the app but more detailed and natural from UAPP, which I prefer.
I have a Fiio KA5 that is miles behind MOJO 2 but I can hear a difference.
Currently I have a family subscription to Amazon Unlimited that sounds good, similar to Qobuz app, but the improvement in UAPP is making me thinking to change the stream service.
I don't know if something can be tuned in Android so its mixer doesn't interfere with music signals.
I have a Pixel 6 with Android 14, but don't hear any change compared to what Android 13 was.

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #2,098 of 2,153
I have a Pixel 6 with Android 14, but don't hear any change compared to what Android 13 was.
As far as I know, only the Pixel 8 will have native bit-perfect audio via the USB connection. For other Android phones (including earlier Pixels), UAPP is the best option. I'm in the same boat (Pixel 7), and UUAP sounds great with the two Shanling dongle DACs I use.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #2,099 of 2,153
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #2,100 of 2,153
Android 14 introduced a new API to allow bit perfect audio playback on USB. However, audio apps need to be updated to use the new API, and most apps including Qobuz probably haven't been updated for Android 14.
https://source.android.com/docs/core/audio/preferred-mixer-attr
The article I read (linked below) seems to indicate that the Android 14 bit-perfect support requires OEM support as well. It's not completely clear, but it seems that OEM support would hint that it is somewhat hardware dependent. I'll be interested to see how it all pans out in the near future.

https://www.androidauthority.com/pixel-8-lossless-audio-update-3376171/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back