Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
May 17, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,516 of 2,130
I'm staying monthy in Qobuz for just this reason. Waiting to see what Spotify offers later this year. Their interface and discovery is the best.
I just paid the annual subscription for Qobuz, LOL. Should have opted for monthly like you did.

May 17, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,517 of 2,130
I would be more than happy to use Apple Music (since my family members already use it, so I kinda have to pay anyway) if they opened up their API so that I can have it integrated in Roon.
It might never happen because it just isn't the way Apple doing their business. They were not even interested in lossless audio until Spotify decided to offer it.

May 17, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,518 of 2,130
Spotify apps have one thing no one else as far as I know - you can control playback from any device you want. Think of it this way - I start playing music from my laptop (connected to a DAC + preamp + power amp + speakers) but then from other room, I decide to skip a song and I can do it from my phone. Tidal tries with their Tidal Connect, but this exact feature does not work (I contacted their support and they do not have it integrated, nor anyone asking for it really). The only way to achieve this functionality with high res is using Roon as far as I know, that’s exactly what I do and why I pay for Roon.
Node 2i does too. I didn't find myself using the extra features Roon offers so I ended up cancelling Roon and getting myself some Bluesound Node 2is instead and have been very happy with them.

May 17, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,519 of 2,130
I just paid the annual subscription for Qobuz, LOL. Should have opted for monthly like you did.
I need to decide on if to go monthly or pay for the year. Leaning to the latter because qobuz pay their artists better.

May 17, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,520 of 2,130
I need to decide on if to go monthly or pay for the year. Leaning to the latter because qobuz pay their artists better.
If you are on ROON or Audirvana then Qobuz remains and will remain the best streaming platform

May 17, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,523 of 2,130
Node 2i does too. I didn't find myself using the extra features Roon offers so I ended up cancelling Roon and getting myself some Bluesound Node 2is instead and have been very happy with them.
Thank you for pointing this out! I used to own Node 2i and never noticed this, what a pity, would have most likely kept it.

May 17, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,524 of 2,130
If you are on ROON or Audirvana then Qobuz remains and will remain the best streaming platform

And it's the only streaming service catering for audiophiles.
I believe these are the key and important reasons not to move (along with how qobuz pay their artists). I hope that is enough for them to continue and thrive.

May 17, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,525 of 2,130
Tidal Connect works with my Node 2i. But the Node 2i is Roon ready so I just use it as a streamer for Roon into my amp.

Qobuz, you can't beat it's quality imo. But their app is so bad. I go to my library with my DAP and only the first 150 songs load and I have to wait a few moments for the rest of them to start appearing. Annoying as hell.

Then with UAPP can't sort the library songs by artist or title or anything, only appears in the order you last added them in. Without Roon Qobuz is dead to me lol.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,526 of 2,130
Spotify apps have one thing no one else as far as I know - you can control playback from any device you want. Think of it this way - I start playing music from my laptop (connected to a DAC + preamp + power amp + speakers) but then from other room, I decide to skip a song and I can do it from my phone. Tidal tries with their Tidal Connect, but this exact feature does not work (I contacted their support and they do not have it integrated, nor anyone asking for it really). The only way to achieve this functionality with high res is using Roon as far as I know, that’s exactly what I do and why I pay for Roon.

I do that with LMS/Squeezebox.

May 17, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #1,528 of 2,130
Me to, regrettably in hindsight. Monthly would have probably been wiser. Oh well, it’s a good service.
I agree. It would be a big loss for us if Qobuz was forced out of business by Big Tech...

May 18, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,529 of 2,130
I can confirm the Qobuz Mac app slows everything down when playing 192kHz content. But unlike before the playback itself is very smooth without any stuttering. Anyway, this is another incentive to keep my roon subscription.
I running the Roon core less demanding than running Qobuz app? Or do you have a seperate server for Roon core?

I use the windows app into my Jot 2. Yes, it's a resource hog, but I have an Alienware laptop with an i7-10875H, 32gb RAM, 2070 Super, and all SSDs. The fans spin up a little, but nothing compared to games. I haven't tried running it into my Hel 2 though.

Lmao if that beast wouldn't run it, that would be really worrisome :wink: I have a 5 year old XPS 13 with i5 and 8GB Ram, no slouch but quite outdated. Chrome + Qobuz is too much to ask...

May 18, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,530 of 2,130
I running the Roon core less demanding than running Qobuz app? Or do you have a seperate server for Roon core?
I have been running Roon core on my old Macbook 12" from 2015 without any issues. I mainly stream and do not have that many locally stored songs, so it is pulling data from Qobuz (or Tidal before). I feel like Roon optimised their software stack better than Qobuz did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back