Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #136 of 2,130
Hi,
4.0.22 b06 on iPhone is stable too.
I have problems sometimes at resuming current playing track after a few hours you stopped it. Sometimes it restart from the beginning of this track, sometimes the beginning of the album. It depends on the time you spend between stop and restart, and the number of apps you opened in this time. It's clearly an internal memory problem. The more you open apps, the less the Qobuz app will keep the track position. On an iPhone 6 with 2GB memory, it looses the track position quite quickly, but on the new iPhone XS with 3 GB memory, it keeps it unless you open tons of apps.
Anyway, it's not a big deal, just swipe to left to see which track was the current one and restart it (search the last downloaded track indicator in the album list).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #137 of 2,130
Hey, I understand how you feel, they should at least announce a launch date. But, If you would like to try Qobuz right now, I can PM you how. You can avail of the free trial. But, the only thing is that after the free trial ends, you'll have to pay for the monthly subscription in GBP/EUR until the US launch.

Oh, I can frig it by tunelling, but I don't care enough to want to do that. And, as you say, you are stuck with that frig for life and I'm hoping that it integrates with Roon at some stage and the whole houce won't work well with a faked ip location.

Cheers

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #138 of 2,130
Sighted listening tests are not useful. I have access to thousands of 24bit downloads (don't ask how) and I have thought many many times that I heard a difference but it proved to be psychoacoustics and placebo.

I've never been able to correctly guess which version (16 vs 24bit) sounds better in ABX testimt through Foobar.

My dac is better than the Nano.

Qobuz Hi Res has is not palatable to the music streaming consumer market.

Qobuz only had 5,000 paying subscribers to their regular CD quality service 3 years ago. They were required to submit this information in French court during their bankruptcy. The market for Hi Fi streaming is smaller than a Squirrel's nuts.

Can't hear the difference? You're not alone. I certainly can hear it, or I wouldn't be paying for Qobuz. But a recent study has shown that many listeners cannot hear the difference between 320kbps MP3 and 16/44.1 CD tracks, and some of them could not hear a difference between those two types and 24/192 Hi-Res tracks.

However, the researchers did find many who appreciate Hi Res. Those tests were carefully designed to be "blind", and it's interesting to note that some described the difference rationally and scientifically, while others reported an emotional response they could not explain.

As for number of subscribers and general business prospects, since the filing you mentioned Qobuz has reorganized and then expanded into additional countries, with a new focus on Hi Res, deep content, and a pricing structure that just may be what will take them to profitability before their competitors. They are still tiny compared to, say, Spotify. But in that context so is Tidal, which is reportedly losing money hand over fist and is not forecast to hit an operating profit anytime soon. I say good luck to them all.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #139 of 2,130
I updated my Qobuz software and -fingers crossed- it is now stable. As I m experimenting with an optical connection into my DAC bypassing the Mac altoghether with surprising results, I decided to give Qobuz another go. I used to find the sound a bit too highly strung before but now through optical it is crystal clear but relaxed. So I upgraded my subscription to try the Hi Res option for the month and wow.... HI res on Qobuz is a different story....Please, please, Qobuz developers, keep the software stable in any future updates as the sound now is truly on another level !
And fill in the gaps in the discography so I can let go of my Tidal subscription :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #140 of 2,130
I moved from Tidal to Qobuz last month because I didn't like MQA, and Qobuz has offline music on their desktop app which is pretty great. Went for the Hi Res subscription because well why not it;s only 5 euros a month more anyway. 25 euros a month for access to millions of songs people born after the mid nineties don't understand what it was like to pay 20 euros for one album a month from your own pocket money. Heck it even cost me about 2 or 3 euros to get to the record store in the first place.

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #141 of 2,130
I moved from Tidal to Qobuz last month because I didn't like MQA, and Qobuz has offline music on their desktop app which is pretty great. Went for the Hi Res subscription because well why not it;s only 5 euros a month more anyway. 25 euros a month for access to millions of songs people born after the mid nineties don't understand what it was like to pay 20 euros for one album a month from your own pocket money. Heck it even cost me about 2 or 3 euros to get to the record store in the first place.

How much is Tidal hifi in your country? Here it's less than half the price you mentioned for Qobuz.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #142 of 2,130
I've finally gone for Qobuz now hi res streaming is available for a 25 pound monthly charge in the UK (with a free one month trial).

All has not gone smoothly though. Hi res titles are clearly labelled in the Qobuz app but I listen through my Node 2 into a Mojo and then my hi fi and the Bluesound app isn't showing any hi res titles and everything seems to be playing at CD resolution.

It's a bit too early for a comparison with Tidal but early impressions (without hi res) include:
Implementation in the Bluesound app is not as developed as Tidal and the search facility not as good.
Sound is on a par - possibly better instrument separation and clarity on Qobuz - slightly warmer on Tidal . Really too early to say though and I'm hoping the hi res, once it's sorted in my Bluesound app, will make all the difference.

Any suggestions for getting the hi res to work in Bluesound would be gratefully received . I've got the streaming settings at the highest level in Qobuz and the partially unfolded MQA streams work fine from my Node 2 using Tidal.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #143 of 2,130
I've finally gone for Qobuz now hi res streaming is available for a 25 pound monthly charge in the UK (with a free one month trial).

All has not gone smoothly though. Hi res titles are clearly labelled in the Qobuz app but I listen through my Node 2 into a Mojo and then my hi fi and the Bluesound app isn't showing any hi res titles and everything seems to be playing at CD resolution.

It's a bit too early for a comparison with Tidal but early impressions (without hi res) include:
Implementation in the Bluesound app is not as developed as Tidal and the search facility not as good.
Sound is on a par - possibly better instrument separation and clarity on Qobuz - slightly warmer on Tidal . Really too early to say though and I'm hoping the hi res, once it's sorted in my Bluesound app, will make all the difference.

Any suggestions for getting the hi res to work in Bluesound would be gratefully received . I've got the streaming settings at the highest level in Qobuz and the partially unfolded MQA streams work fine from my Node 2 using Tidal.

Hires is hires which is probably "CD resolution", MQA is a separate issue. Does Quboz provide MQA?

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #144 of 2,130
Hires is hires which is probably "CD resolution", MQA is a separate issue. Does Quboz provide MQA?

CD-quality is 16/44.1. Music is Hi-Res when one or both of those numbers is higher. 24/48, for example.

Qobuz Studio and Sublime+ levels offer Hi-Res. No MQA. Seems to me it should be just working for him, same as Tidal MQA is working.

If the cost of data is a concern, in the Qobuz app you can cap your streaming at MP3, CD, 24/96, or 24/192 levels on-the-fly.

@Steve Wilcox have you checked on whether the Bluesound app has the same cap in a menu somewhere, and is limiting your streams to CD-quality? Also, there are some albums on Qobuz displaying the Hi-Res logo but actually only the downloads are Hi-Res not the streaming. Very few, but the problem exists and Qobuz is working on a fix to that. More likely though this is a Bluesound setup thing

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #145 of 2,130
CD-quality is 16/44.1. Music is Hi-Res when one or both of those numbers is higher. 24/48, for example.

Qobuz Studio and Sublime+ levels offer Hi-Res. No MQA. Seems to me it should be just working for him, same as Tidal MQA is working.

If the cost of data is a concern, in the Qobuz app you can cap your streaming at MP3, CD, 24/96, or 24/192 levels on-the-fly.

@Steve Wilcox have you checked on whether the Bluesound app has the same cap set somwhere, and is limiting your streams to CD-quality? Also, there are some albums on Qobuz displaying the Hi-Res logo but actually only the downloads are Hi-Res not the streaming. Very few, but the problem exists and Qobuz is working on a fix to that. More likely though this is a Bluesound setup thing

There is no strict definition for this so I was hoping it wasn't just marketing-speak by Quboz. For example Tidal CD quality files are called "Hifi" while the MQA are Master. I have not come across Tidal "hifi" which is higher than 16/44 as far as I know. But I have seen MQA go to 192kbps.. I don't remember what bit depth. I guess it would help to ask their support exactly what he should be getting.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #146 of 2,130
Thanks. I've rechecked the Bluesound settings and can't see anything that would be limiting streaming resolution there. As I mentioned, the hi res partially unfolded MQA streams from Tidal are playing fine and displaying appropriate colours.

I'm waiting for responses from both Qobuz and Bluesound but without the hi res content from Qobuz there's not enough to lever the extra fiver from my mits.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #147 of 2,130
There is no strict definition for this so I was hoping it wasn't just marketing-speak by Quboz. For example Tidal CD quality files are called "Hifi" while the MQA are Master. I have not come across Tidal "hifi" which is higher than 16/44 as far as I know. But I have seen MQA go to 192kbps.. I don't remember what bit depth. I guess it would help to ask their support exactly what he should be getting.

Thanks. I am clear what I should be getting. It's a mix of 24 bit in 48,96 and 192 kbps.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #150 of 2,130

@Steve Wilcox have you checked on whether the Bluesound app has the same cap in a menu somewhere, and is limiting your streams to CD-quality? Also, there are some albums on Qobuz displaying the Hi-Res logo but actually only the downloads are Hi-Res not the streaming. Very few, but the problem exists and Qobuz is working on a fix to that. More likely though this is a Bluesound setup thing
BlueOS does up to 24/192 bit perfect w Qobuz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back