Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #166 of 2,153
Qobuz has announced a major update to the Android app, rolling out slowly to all users now. If you download/import local files, they suggest you start making playlists of those tracks now, because it's going to forget about them during the update. I usually access Qobuz via UAPP on my phone, but when I opened the official Qobuz app today it displayed this blog post: http://blogsv2.qobuz.com/qobuz-blog-en/2018/11/09/qobuz-update-to-android-application/

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #167 of 2,153
Really specific use case question. If it isn’t possible, it won’t stop me from signing up for the trial.

Is there capability within the iOS app to control the Windows based app or a secondary iOS app that controls QoBuz running on Windows? Ideally, I’d like to use the Windows app for playback but utilize iOS as my primary interface. For example, the same way I currently run Foobar2k on the PC and use MonkeyMoteHD on the iPad as my primary interface.

I’d rather not use airplay via iOS to stream and can use a Splashtop to access the full desktop OS and QoBuz Windows app via iPad. Will use the latter method if needed.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #168 of 2,153
Question: signing up via Apple, is “studio” not an option ??

We only wanted the hi res. Right now it’s CD and when saving to offline, it’s mp3 if “album” is chosen and “CD” if song by song chosen.

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #169 of 2,153
Really specific use case question. If it isn’t possible, it won’t stop me from signing up for the trial.

Is there capability within the iOS app to control the Windows based app or a secondary iOS app that controls QoBuz running on Windows? Ideally, I’d like to use the Windows app for playback but utilize iOS as my primary interface. For example, the same way I currently run Foobar2k on the PC and use MonkeyMoteHD on the iPad as my primary interface.

I’d rather not use airplay via iOS to stream and can use a Splashtop to access the full desktop OS and QoBuz Windows app via iPad. Will use the latter method if needed.

This is not a controller app. It can "cast" to Google Cast compatible players (Chromecast), but that's about it. The type of feature you're talking about exists in third-party ecosystems that support Qobuz, like LMS (Squeezebox Server) with iPeng, or Audirvana+ with A+ Remote. At some point Qobuz may be in Roon as well. No Foobar as foo as I know. (As far as I know.)

Each of those is a very deep rabbit hole of its own. :) I can answer questions about LMS.

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #170 of 2,153
Question: signing up via Apple, is “studio” not an option ??

We only wanted the hi res. Right now it’s CD and when saving to offline, it’s mp3 if “album” is chosen and “CD” if song by song chosen.

Thanks.

This is a question for @David Solomon or his counterparts in other markets. What country are you in?

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #171 of 2,153
This is not a controller app. It can "cast" to Google Cast compatible players (Chromecast), but that's about it. The type of feature you're talking about exists in third-party ecosystems that support Qobuz, like LMS (Squeezebox Server) with iPeng, or Audirvana+ with A+ Remote. At some point Qobuz may be in Roon as well. No Foobar as foo as I know. (As far as I know.)

Each of those is a very deep rabbit hole of its own. :) I can answer questions about LMS.

Thanks - rather than diving down a rabbit hole I can see and avoid, I'll just use Splashtop to control the headless Windows PC from an iPad. Appreciate the quick response!

Just glad the PC app supports WASAPI Exclusive mode, and can live with the very minor inconvenience of remote connecting at the OS level rather than just the app on the headless NUC it will be running it on.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #172 of 2,153
When is Qoboz going live in the US? I thought it was supposed to go live last month...? I’m on Tidal now, but if I can get Hi-Res streaming (Tidal Masters isn’t possible) on my iPhone, I’d love to give it a try!

I attended the NY Audio Show yesterday. Qobuz had a table set up. I was told that they expect to launch in the US by the end of this year. As a show attendee I got a free Qobuz preview. I've done some listening. It sounds better to my ears than Tidal, which is what I've been using for the past couple of years.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #174 of 2,153
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #175 of 2,153
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am on the free 30 day pass. If they are going to offer the Studio tier for the United States, I am going to subscribe. My wife loves her Poly and wants to stream.

No responses from Customer Service the last 4 or 5 days. I understand they may be quite backed up in this launch.

I've been waiting for 2Go release, but may reconsider Poly. Its a gem for walking.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #176 of 2,153
I attended the NY Audio Show yesterday. Qobuz had a table set up. I was told that they expect to launch in the US by the end of this year. As a show attendee I got a free Qobuz preview. I've done some listening. It sounds better to my ears than Tidal, which is what I've been using for the past couple of years.

Are you at the same level (CD) in the trial period?

Interesting that the links to payment work, but then going back to the Qobuz page shows no finality of the transaction.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #177 of 2,153
This is clearly a work-in-progress, but what a work of art it is. @Peter Hyatt I suspect the people responsible for supporting US customers are the same few people working the show tables and answering us online, so we have to be patient but you may hear from @David Solomon here soon about the Studio tier missing from the 30-day preview and the lack of payment confirmation.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #179 of 2,153
Are you at the same level (CD) in the trial period?

Interesting that the links to payment work, but then going back to the Qobuz page shows no finality of the transaction.
I'm still learning how Qobuz works. My trial account shows as Hi-Fi Sublime+. In an attempt to get an idea of how the Qobuz library size compares to Tidal I used Soundiiz to transfer one of my playlists from Tidal to Qobuz. The Tidal list contains 251 tracks. Qobuz found 144.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #180 of 2,153
I'm still learning how Qobuz works. My trial account shows as Hi-Fi Sublime+. In an attempt to get an idea of how the Qobuz library size compares to Tidal I used Soundiiz to transfer one of my playlists from Tidal to Qobuz. The Tidal list contains 251 tracks. Qobuz found 144.

One area important to me is Hi-Res, and in that category Qobuz has Tidal beat: approximately 2,000,000 Hi-Res tracks vs 140,000 "Masters". But overall, the Tidal catalog probably contains several million more tracks than Qobuz. I've seen figures like 48 million vs. 40 million for the past year. Tidal and Qobuz are stronger in different genres though, so it depends what's on your playlists. Qobuz is known for classical and jazz while Tidal may be stronger in hip-hop, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back