QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #2,491 of 2,715
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #2,492 of 2,715
Any comparison on anole v14 vs u18s?

EA82D8D6-BA53-4B8E-9838-1F65D1EA2713.jpeg

Here are some quick impressions between the Anole V14 and the U18s (M15) which are very different sounding sets. I’m using my Eletech Balmung cable in this comparison.

Starting with the bass, the V14 has a stronger mid-bass which is readily apparent. The U18s in comparison is more neutral and clean sounding which reveals its own charms, so though I prefer the bass performance of V14, with some music genres, I’ll listen with the U18s.
The U18s mids are slightly more forward than the V14, but are presented in such a sweet manner that I’d give the nod over the V14 due to slightly better immediacy. When it comes to the trebles, the U18s has a bit more definition with greater micro detail retrieval. The V14 is no slouch in this area, but there’s a greater tendency for its trebles to get a little spirited depending on the recording. I usually use my PWA Attila with the V14 which ameliorates this quality well, but my feeling is due to the overall warmth of the U18s, the Attila cable is not as good a match as compared to the Balmung, to my ears anyway. If I had to choose between the two sets, I’d opt for the V14 because I love that bass!

I had to delay my impressions when you first asked because I’m dealing with the heightened pollen where I live, so my sinuses (and ears) are a bit stuffy. Hope this gives you a better idea of each set’s merits. ✌️

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #2,493 of 2,715

Here are some quick impressions between the Anole V14 and the U18s (M15) which are very different sounding sets. I’m using my Eletech Balmung cable in this comparison.

Starting with the bass, the V14 has a stronger mid-bass which is readily apparent. The U18s in comparison is more neutral and clean sounding which reveals its own charms, so though I prefer the bass performance of V14, with some music genres, I’ll listen with the U18s.
The U18s mids are slightly more forward than the V14, but are presented in such a sweet manner that I’d give the nod over the V14 due to slightly better immediacy. When it comes to the trebles, the U18s has a bit more definition with greater micro detail retrieval. The V14 is no slouch in this area, but there’s a greater tendency for its trebles to get a little spirited depending on the recording. I usually use my PWA Attila with the V14 which ameliorates this quality well, but my feeling is due to the overall warmth of the U18s, the Attila cable is not as good a match as compared to the Balmung, to my ears anyway. If I had to choose between the two sets, I’d opt for the V14 because I love that bass!

I had to delay my impressions when you first asked because I’m dealing with the heightened pollen where I live, so my sinuses (and ears) are a bit stuffy. Hope this gives you a better idea of each set’s merits. ✌️
Did you find the u18s to sound veiled at all?

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #2,494 of 2,715
Did you find the u18s to sound veiled at all?

No, not at all. It certainly isn’t a bright sounding design, but those 18 BA drivers, especially the ones for the trebles, convey a nice sense of
detail retrieval without any stridency whatsoever.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #2,495 of 2,715
@jwbrent why don’t you join Watercooler 3D? ☺️

Apr 10, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,497 of 2,715
Apr 10, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,498 of 2,715

Can you give me some example tracks and songs where you noticed the micro details and which genres you would prefer v14 or U18s?

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,499 of 2,715
Looking forward to trying DMagic having just purchased the set from @Charlyro222 - will post impressions when they arrive :) @Xinlisupreme has certainly shared a lot of very positive feedback, and I think I will enjoy.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #2,500 of 2,715
Looking forward to trying DMagic having just purchased the set from @Charlyro222 - will post impressions when they arrive :) @Xinlisupreme has certainly shared a lot of very positive feedback, and I think I will enjoy.
Congrats my friend!👏🏻
I’m happy you bought it, isn’t an iem for newbie’s but you aren’t.
DMAGIC 3D scale a lot and With C9 sounds so good.
I’m sure you will love it with M9!😍

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,501 of 2,715
Can you give me some example tracks and songs where you noticed the micro details and which genres you would prefer v14 or U18s?

As the picture I posted shows, I used Teddy Thompson’s song, “Separate Ways” when I did my listening, and it was in this song that I felt the U18s was a bit better with micro detail retrieval. As to genres, I feel the V14 is really great with electronic, rock, metal, as examples. The U18s works really well with ambient music which I’m a big fan of as well as folk, classical, and 1950s-60s jazz.

One of the problems of analyzing the different aspects of a particular iem compared to another is certainly the fact we all have different sensitivities and likes, but when you add in that the recordings themselves can also play a huge role in our impressions, it’s virtually impossible to generalize about such impressions which will duplicate other’s listening experience. Our mutual hobby isn’t well retailed in that there are few dealers that have a large assortment of iems to audition before purchase, a true failure of this industry, in my opinion. Every one of my current collection of flagships was a blind purchase … I had to rely on thorough professional reviews to get an idea of whether it would fit in my collection without too much redundancy. It’s a journey, one that can provide ecstatic results, but also dismal failures. I’ve been very fortunate in my journey that I haven’t had many misses. ✌️

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #2,502 of 2,715
As the picture I posted shows, I used Teddy Thompson’s song, “Separate Ways” when I did my listening, and it was in this song that I felt the U18s was a bit better with micro detail retrieval. As to genres, I feel the V14 is really great with electronic, rock, metal, as examples. The U18s works really well with ambient music which I’m a big fan of as well as folk, classical, and 1950s-60s jazz.

One of the problems of analyzing the different aspects of a particular iem compared to another is certainly the fact we all have different sensitivities and likes, but when you add in that the recordings themselves can also play a huge role in our impressions, it’s virtually impossible to generalize about such impressions which will duplicate other’s listening experience. Our mutual hobby isn’t well retailed in that there are few dealers that have a large assortment of iems to audition before purchase, a true failure of this industry, in my opinion. Every one of my current collection of flagships was a blind purchase … I had to rely on thorough professional reviews to get an idea of whether it would fit in my collection without too much redundancy. It’s a journey, one that can provide ecstatic results, but also dismal failures. I’ve been very fortunate in my journey that I haven’t had many misses. ✌️
Ok, this helps me get a better picture of the v14 vs u18s and where they might fit for a given user. This seems to be consistence with what ive been researching and feedback from other reviewers. Do you have a favorite all around-er or favorite iem?

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,503 of 2,715
Ok, this helps me get a better picture of the v14 vs u18s and where they might fit for a given user. This seems to be consistence with what ive been researching and feedback from other reviewers. Do you have a favorite all around-er or favorite iem?

The V14 is certainly one of my favorites. I also like my Mason FS quite a bit, and in terms of pure joy, my VE 8 is like comfort food, just a beautiful tone.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #2,504 of 2,715

What about the sub bass on u18s vs anole v14?

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #2,505 of 2,715
What about the sub bass on u18s vs anole v14?

To my ears, the V14 overall bass including sub-bass is preferable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back