QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,476 of 2,722
Following!

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #2,477 of 2,722
Don’t judge FR only bass is tuned better than I thought I don’t miss at all!

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #2,478 of 2,722
Let me get back to you on this, I’ll do a comparison today. ✌️

OK, I just spent the last half hour comparing the Dmagic to the V14. My dap is the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti and I listened to my favorite Van Morrison album, Into the Music, specifically “It’s All In The Game.”

BAB49A5C-85B6-42F5-AF26-EE079CED7573.jpeg

The cable I’m using in my comparison is the stock cable from my 64 Audio U18s which is a modestly priced ($299) SPC design. This is the default cable I use when listening to the Dmagic.

The first thing I notice is the mid-bass, the V14 has greater presence in this range, and that is with all switches set to off. It is a very satisfying level of bass which I like quite a bit. Although the Dmagic has the benefit of using a DD driver for its bass which suggests an advantage texture wise, I really don’t feel I’m missing bass texture with the V14.

As we move to the mids, I’m not hearing much of a difference between the two, they both sound great to my ears. There’s a little more decay with the V14, so advantage V14.

The lower trebles are also quite similar with great micro detail on instruments that add to immersive engagement. The rest of the treble range is more refined to my ears with the V14, more sparkle but never sounding over the top. The Dmagic doesn’t have the level of refinement of the V14, no doubt due to the est drivers it uses.

When it comes to soundstage size and dimensionality, again, the V14 comes across as more refined. It’s stage is broader and deeper, and imaging is more locked in in the acoustic field. Dynamics between the two are a lot closer, pretty much a draw as I hear it.

Given the Dmagic 3D is less than half the retail price of the V14, from a value standpoint, you just can’t go wrong choosing the Dmagic. it provides much of the same magic, certainly the same overall house sound, of the V14. From an aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the Dmagic with its wood shell, the V14 is somewhat pedestrian looking in comparison; the gimmick of the faceplate turning green when exposed to UV light is just that, a gimmick, in my humble opinion.

I hope this brief comparison helps those who have an interest in these two models. ✌️

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #2,480 of 2,722
thanks, great comparison :relaxed:
what about sub-bass? I have listened to the V14 a couple of times, and sub-basses were incredible considering that were coming from a BA...

Sub-bass is very good, but I’m a bigger fan of the mid-bass. My ears sometimes struggle with too much sub-bass causing pressure in my ears that begins to hurt, so when I do listen to an iem with lots of sub-bass, I have to turn down the volume. My Odin is an example of this.

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2,481 of 2,722
@jwbrent you’ve same preferences on Bass as me so I understood why I love DMAGIC ☺️
Maybe I’ll buy V14 too or VX when I can.
Qdc house sound is incredible good

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #2,482 of 2,722
OK, I just spent the last half hour comparing the Dmagic to the V14. My dap is the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti and I listened to my favorite Van Morrison album, Into the Music, specifically “It’s All In The Game.”

BAB49A5C-85B6-42F5-AF26-EE079CED7573.jpeg

The cable I’m using in my comparison is the stock cable from my 64 Audio U18s which is a modestly priced ($299) SPC design. This is the default cable I use when listening to the Dmagic.

The first thing I notice is the mid-bass, the V14 has greater presence in this range, and that is with all switches set to off. It is a very satisfying level of bass which I like quite a bit. Although the Dmagic has the benefit of using a DD driver for its bass which suggests an advantage texture wise, I really don’t feel I’m missing bass texture with the V14.

As we move to the mids, I’m not hearing much of a difference between the two, they both sound great to my ears. There’s a little more decay with the V14, so advantage V14.

The lower trebles are also quite similar with great micro detail on instruments that add to immersive engagement. The rest of the treble range is more refined to my ears with the V14, more sparkle but never sounding over the top. The Dmagic doesn’t have the level of refinement of the V14, no doubt due to the est drivers it uses.

When it comes to soundstage size and dimensionality, again, the V14 comes across as more refined. It’s stage is broader and deeper, and imaging is more locked in in the acoustic field. Dynamics between the two are a lot closer, pretty much a draw as I hear it.

Given the Dmagic 3D is less than half the retail price of the V14, from a value standpoint, you just can’t go wrong choosing the Dmagic. it provides much of the same magic, certainly the same overall house sound, of the V14. From an aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the Dmagic with its wood shell, the V14 is somewhat pedestrian looking in comparison; the gimmick of the faceplate turning green when exposed to UV light is just that, a gimmick, in my humble opinion.

I hope this brief comparison helps those who have an interest in these two models. ✌️
Thank you so much for your impressions! You've no doubt solidified my decision to change my Anole VX for the Anole V14. That being said, I might visit the Dmagic 3D as well.

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #2,483 of 2,722
Just ordered another dmagic on Musictek, let´s see if is as good as Vx is.........

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #2,484 of 2,722
Sub-bass is very good, but I’m a bigger fan of the mid-bass. My ears sometimes struggle with too much sub-bass causing pressure in my ears that begins to hurt, so when I do listen to an iem with lots of sub-bass, I have to turn down the volume. My Odin is an example of this.
Between Odin and V14 ..... which do you prefer? or are they two different plays?

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #2,485 of 2,722
I didn't test V14, but Odin is the most detailed iem I owned, didn't like the mids, soul lacking signature, only technicalities

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,486 of 2,722
Between Odin and V14 ..... which do you prefer? or are they two different plays?

Quite different sets. The Odin is known for its heightened mids/upper-mids which for some is too much. When I first bought the Odin when it was initially released, I had to eq those mids down since I found them fatiguing. Fast forward a couple years, I bought the Lotoo dap, and now no eq is needed, the Lotoo being a perfect match in my mind. The Odin is also known for its sub-bass which is truly impressive, the best in my collection, but as mentioned before about my sensitivity to sub-bass hurting my ears, I listen at lower levels if the music has strong sub-bass. The mid-bass is not as present as the sub-bass. The other aspect the Odin is really good at is throwing out a huge soundstage.

So, the Odin is more analytical sounding while the V14 is more fun sounding. If I had to choose between the two, I’d take the V14. 👍

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #2,487 of 2,722
Listening DMAGIC with ifi xDSD Gryphon using M6 pro ad transport (LDAC connection) it’s a great combo!!!!! DMAGIC loves power😳

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,488 of 2,722
Just Arrived DMagic. at night will tell my first impressions.

1648223881573.png

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,489 of 2,722

Users who are viewing this thread

Back