QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,416 of 2,734
Thank you :) I'm quietly impressed, they really suit my library (mostly electronica) and are seriously making me wonder what QDC can achieve higher up their range.

Don’t go there unless you’re prepared to spend lots of money. 🤣 Actually, on a serious note, they’re worth the cost of entry. 👍

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2,417 of 2,734
Solo is very tempting… I’m getting 2 IEMs again so I’d wait🤭

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,419 of 2,734
Really? You think the QDC build quality is superior to VE? That is impressive. I would still give it to VE, but glad to hear QDC is still right there.

I really like how qdc sculpts its shells, and so far having purchased 3 different sets, I’ve had no issue with build. On the other hand, my VE 8 was not perfect on both sides, just one. Small sample size, I know, but that’s my experience. ✌️

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #2,420 of 2,734
Has anyone gone from Thieaudio Monarch -> Anole VX? I am thinking of upgrading along this path but I'm concerned that I'll miss the Monarch's subbass.
I have ThieAudio Monarch but have always wanted to get the VX as well. Finally got an excellent deal for a slightly used one @ $1250 and it was a no-brainer. I remember this IEM being $3120 shipped back when it launched. I will compare the two when the VX arrives.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,421 of 2,734
I have ThieAudio Monarch but have always wanted to get the VX as well. Finally got an excellent deal for a slightly used one @ $1250 and it was a no-brainer. I remember this IEM being $3120 shipped back when it launched. I will compare the two when the VX arrives.

Congrats on your VX, really nice iem!

Jan 3, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #2,423 of 2,734
My VX came in 2 days earlier than expected.

So I swapped the tips I've been using on the Monarch and started listening.
Initial thoughts were; ok I hear an improvement but not much (honestly, for a moment I even had buyers remorse). I preferred the Monarch's more forward mids with those tips. Other than that, VX seemed to be doing everything else better....but I was like Meh!

This is paired with Cayin N3 Pro in Tube mode (Ultra Linear). Cayin is such a Neutral DAP compared to my Sony ZX500 that sounds thick and lacks the N3 Pro's extension from bass, mids, and treble. Matter of fact I gave the ZX500 to my wife. I like the Cayin sound so much I ordered a Cayin N6 II from Audio46 since you can change the DAC and AMP on that for even more sound flavors. It also streams from Tidal etc.

Then I decided to try various tips I've been using with Monarch...Spinfit 100+, Azla Xlastic, AZLA Short, etc....those made things worse.

So I tried the double flange Medium included tips and I started seeing the light.
I Felt bass could be better with a tighter seal so I swapped to the Large double flange.

This is when I started understanding what everyone has been talking about these past 2+ years.
Then I pushed them deeper and things got to where I was like WOW!!! I 100% agree these are No.1 with a gap between the VX and what should be No.2 (Ahem!! Crin's list, but that's his opinion and I'm all about freedom of speech and Ideas).

Listened to Micheal Jackson's - "Lady in My Life" off of Thriller, a song I know so well and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's like being there in the studio with him. So vivid. I also prefer the faster bass of the VX which causes you to hear the various types of Bass in a song. I think dynamic drivers can't pull back fast enough to play the next tone which may be stronger or lighter.

The fit is so much better with the VX. VX is also very light + included cable. Fit Almost feels like a custom IEM with the double flange tips.
You forget about the IEM and just focus on the music. I always know the Monarch is in my ears and can't have it in more than 2 hrs.

I'm so happy with this purchase (great deal @ $1250.

I believe I'm done with the IEM Chase for the next 7-10years. Let me focus on investing my extra money into my Crypto bag.

This is perfect for me. Monarch will be backup.

Side Note: I use a Micron Industrial Grade micro SD Card in the Cayin N3 Pro.
The magnetic shielding and faster memory in industrial cards provide the best electron flow. I could immediately tell the vast improvement in sound quality over the usual consumer cards we buy from Amazon etc. Get one and your eyes will be opened. Here is the part Number; MTSD256AKC7MS-1WTCS

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #2,424 of 2,734
My VX came in 2 days earlier than expected.

So I swapped the tips I've been using on the Monarch and started listening.
Initial thoughts were; ok I hear an improvement but not much (honestly, for a moment I even had buyers remorse). I preferred the Monarch's more forward mids with those tips. Other than that, VX seemed to be doing everything else better....but I was like Meh!

This is paired with Cayin N3 Pro in Tube mode (Ultra Linear). Cayin is such a Neutral DAP compared to my Sony ZX500 that sounds thick and lacks the N3 Pro's extension from bass, mids, and treble. Matter of fact I gave the ZX500 to my wife. I like the Cayin sound so much I ordered a Cayin N6 II from Audio46 since you can change the DAC and AMP on that for even more sound flavors. It also streams from Tidal etc.

Then I decided to try various tips I've been using with Monarch...Spinfit 100+, Azla Xlastic, AZLA Short, etc....those made things worse.

So I tried the double flange Medium included tips and I started seeing the light.
I Felt bass could be better with a tighter seal so I swapped to the Large double flange.

This is when I started understanding what everyone has been talking about these past 2+ years.
Then I pushed them deeper and things got to where I was like WOW!!! I 100% agree these are No.1 with a gap between the VX and what should be No.2 (Ahem!! Crin's list, but that's his opinion and I'm all about freedom of speech and Ideas).

Listened to Micheal Jackson's - "Lady in My Life" off of Thriller, a song I know so well and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's like being there in the studio with him. So vivid. I also prefer the faster bass of the VX which causes you to hear the various types of Bass in a song. I think dynamic drivers can't pull back fast enough to play the next tone which may be stronger or lighter.

The fit is so much better with the VX. VX is also very light + included cable. Fit Almost feels like a custom IEM with the double flange tips.
You forget about the IEM and just focus on the music. I always know the Monarch is in my ears and can't have it in more than 2 hrs.

I'm so happy with this purchase (great deal @ $1250.

I believe I'm done with the IEM Chase for the next 7-10years. Let me focus on investing my extra money into my Crypto bag.

This is perfect for me. Monarch will be backup.

Side Note: I use a Micron Industrial Grade micro SD Card in the Cayin N3 Pro.
The magnetic shielding and faster memory in industrial cards provide the best electron flow. I could immediately tell the vast improvement in sound quality over the usual consumer cards we buy from Amazon etc. Get one and your eyes will be opened. Here is the part Number; MTSD256AKC7MS-1WTCS
Good luck on the 7-10 years thought!

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #2,425 of 2,734
I’ve been spending a lot of time listening to the V14 with one of my latest acquisitions, the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti, and the V14 scales really well with a better source. Frankly, I wasn’t expecting such an improvement in sound, but it is quite addicting.

The tone is voluptuous sounding with nicely done note weight, a quality that wasn’t present with my former AK dap. Imaging has also improved with more dimensional portrayals of different band members.

I also recently bought the UM Indigo which sells for the same price as the V14, and though the Indigo is really good, I prefer the V14 so far. I sent my Indigo back for replacement due to a cable socket issue, so I’ll spend more time when I get it back comparing it to see if my initial impressions hold true.

ED9BD496-C48D-4F64-A4DF-6DB9B739E205.jpeg

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #2,426 of 2,734
I’ve been spending a lot of time listening to the V14 with one of my latest acquisitions, the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti, and the V14 scales really well with a better source. Frankly, I wasn’t expecting such an improvement in sound, but it is quite addicting.

The tone is voluptuous sounding with nicely done note weight, a quality that wasn’t present with my former AK dap. Imaging has also improved with more dimensional portrayals of different band members.

I also recently bought the UM Indigo which sells for the same price as the V14, and though the Indigo is really good, I prefer the V14 so far. I sent my Indigo back for replacement due to a cable socket issue, so I’ll spend more time when I get it back comparing it to see if my initial impressions hold true.

ED9BD496-C48D-4F64-A4DF-6DB9B739E205.jpeg
How are the mids and highs on v14? I'm a sucker for slightly more forward mids and highs

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #2,427 of 2,734
How are the mids and highs on v14? I'm a sucker for slightly more forward mids and highs

Less forward in the mids but far from recessed, definitely more forward in the trebles, but the Lotoo does a really nice job of taking the edge off of less than stellar recordings.

The V14 is a permanent member of my collection, and I highly recommend an audition. 👍

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #2,428 of 2,734
New owner of Anole v14. This IEM is crazy. Its kind of a unique tunning but a not balanced one. Too much bass for me. The switches maybe they "bleed" a little bit for other parts of the FR ? Example you put on the switch 1 (bass) and a bit of that low end warm go to midrange as well? Is only my iem or other ones listen the same thing ?

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #2,429 of 2,734
New owner of Anole v14. This IEM is crazy. Its kind of a unique tunning but a not balanced one. Too much bass for me. The switches maybe they "bleed" a little bit for other parts of the FR ? Example you put on the switch 1 (bass) and a bit of that low end warm go to midrange as well? Is only my iem or other ones listen the same thing ?

Pretty typical that boosting the bass as the V14 does will potentially impact the midrange in a less than desirable manner. I don’t use any of the switches on my set finding the default bass more than plentiful. If one does use the bass boost, you can offset its coloration by playing with the mid/treble switches.

Also, I strongly suggest considering a cable upgrade in order to extract the greatest performance from the V14, including tightening the bass performance. ✌️

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,430 of 2,734
Pretty typical that boosting the bass as the V14 does will potentially impact the midrange in a less than desirable manner. I don’t use any of the switches on my set finding the default bass more than plentiful. If one does use the bass boost, you can offset its coloration by playing with the mid/treble switches.

Also, I strongly suggest considering a cable upgrade in order to extract the greatest performance from the V14, including tightening the bass performance. ✌️
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I just put the switch 2 on and work well.
The problem is with all switches down its look like the sound is a little recessed, I dont Know.
I like to play with cables. But this QDC termination is so different and can only work with qdc iem só make cables just for v14 can be a problem. What kind of cable do you suggest ? Silver? Palladium?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back