QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 22, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #2,191 of 2,715
I believe you’re right, the stock cable is wired to address the reverse polarity at the connectors on the shells. If you use an aftermarket cable with your V3, unless the cable is made to address this reverse polarity, then the V3 will be out of absolute phase … about 50% of the time when listening to a music file because of my comments above on how studios don’t worry about maintaining absolute phase during the recording process.

Did I answer your question to a satisfactory level? Please message me if I didn’t. ✌️

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,193 of 2,715
You may get us all in trouble with that title!

Fortunately, I’m not married any longer, but I could see how this could be trouble for those that are. ✌️

May 23, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,194 of 2,715
Fortunately, I’m not married any longer, but I could see how this could be trouble for those that are. ✌️
Rofl, I can relate. Btw, no pressure jwbrent - but are you going to do a v14 review? bass-mids-treble/transients-speed/genre pairing/source pairing/soundstage/imaging (just care about the sound and isolation) and just your general impressions of the v14 in general (I've read all your previous comments) - gotten into flagship iems this ear - currently have the ierz1r , odin and looking to finish up with a12t and the v14 and then call it quits on iems. I ask because I'm on a perennial hunt for a transducer that can give me as much isolation as possible and render orchestral music while separating out as many instruments as possible and giving them good positioning. Also looking out for your audiophile journey article. Cheers :)

May 23, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #2,195 of 2,715
Rofl, I can relate. Btw, no pressure jwbrent - but are you going to do a v14 review? bass-mids-treble/transients-speed/genre pairing/source pairing/soundstage/imaging (just care about the sound and isolation) and just your general impressions of the v14 in general (I've read all your previous comments) - gotten into flagship iems this ear - currently have the ierz1r , odin and looking to finish up with a12t and the v14 and then call it quits on iems. I ask because I'm on a perennial hunt for a transducer that can give me as much isolation as possible and render orchestral music while separating out as many instruments as possible and giving them good positioning. Also looking out for your audiophile journey article. Cheers :)
If you are willing to spend the dough, you should check out the Oriolus Traillii as well. I consider that one the best IEM currently available. I have not heard the 14, but you might want to add the Traillii to what you are considering. Lot’s of great choices.

May 23, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #2,196 of 2,715

Yes, I do plan on doing a review not only on the V14, but the rest of my collection as well in a big comparison. I’ve written around 30 reviews in the Head Gear section, and the collection review will likely be my last since I am going to try and do the impossible, announce my endgame. 😂

I will need some time to familiarize myself with my newest additions before I can begin thinking about writing.

Good luck to you on your journey, the V14 may be the perfect addition … 😉

May 24, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #2,197 of 2,715
Thanks Frankie D , I hadn't heard of the Traillii , but I briefly looked it up and that's one price level ( I think the um mason and the thummin try to go there too) even I with my obsessive search am not willing to checkout. I've been looking to find endgame iems, headphones, speakers and car audio because i've gotten exhausted by the rapidly increasing prices - past some level diminishing returns kick in hard. Almost feeling a little pissed at some of the prices being charged - past a certain point one almost feels cheated - sure some of the manufacturers try to add 'value' with more exotic craftsmanship in materials and non acoustic build ala jewelry but not sound engineering/r&d (I mean with the corresponding increase in price). Looking to find my endgame quick and then just listen to the music ( cliched as that might sound(?) ,lol ) . Thanks jwbrent - looking forward to your endgame article - hoping to find mine soon too :)

May 24, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,198 of 2,715
Thanks Frankie D , I hadn't heard of the Traillii , but I briefly looked it up and that's one price level ( I think the um mason and the thummin try to go there too) even I with my obsessive search am not willing to checkout. I've been looking to find endgame iems, headphones, speakers and car audio because i've gotten exhausted by the rapidly increasing prices - past some level diminishing returns kick in hard. Almost feeling a little pissed at some of the prices being charged - past a certain point one almost feels cheated - sure some of the manufacturers try to add 'value' with more exotic craftsmanship in materials and non acoustic build ala jewelry but not sound engineering/r&d (I mean with the corresponding increase in price). Looking to find my endgame quick and then just listen to the music ( cliched as that might sound(?) ,lol ) . Thanks jwbrent - looking forward to your endgame article - hoping to find mine soon too :)
I absolutely agree and understand. However you did mention Odin and U12T. If you are purchasing both, my recommended alternative would be the Traillii instead. That is what I meant. And then you can also compare to the V14. It is also discounted $1000 at MusicTeck. It also comes with the cable that is best for it, so you would not be looking for another cable as you probably would with the U12T. Anyway, food for thought. Some members are using it to replace HP’s. That is why I mention it. If it can replace multiple IEM’s, there could be a way to justify it. You might ask feel the same about the V14. I would doubt it is as good overall as the Traillii, however it should be superior to the U12T in bass, mids and treble if it is indeed an improvement over the VX. This would also save you a purchase.

May 29, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #2,199 of 2,715
Have the V14 since a few days and I am impressed. They are one of the most resolving in-ears I have and know of. The tonal balance in standard setup (0,0,0,0) for me is excellent. The highs that have been described in this thread as borderline piercing are just perfect to my ears. Brillant and airy but not overly so. Eg, they are more present than the ones of the U12t but less glary than e.g. with the Tia Trio. The Bass level (position 0) is very well chosen (neutral with some accentuation of bass). Position 1 lets you feel a double bass weight almost like with a very good dynamic driver. The difference to the Odin for example is small.

Right now (yes, still in the honeymoon phase) I prefer them to all of my other in-ears: Odin (mids too forward, almost shouty at times), U12t (treble resonance with silicon tips, not enough treble level and extension with foam tips), TiaTrio (mids tonality less than perfect), IER Z1R (imprecise soundstage, treble peak), RSV (resolution and macro dynamics slightly lacking), MEST og (slightly disjointed, treble peak), Andromeda S (limited bass control and impact), Andromeda og (limited bass control and impact, treble peak), Prophile 8 (lack of extension in subbass and treble).

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #2,200 of 2,715
Have the V14 since a few days and I am impressed. They are one of the most resolving in-ears I have and know of. The tonal balance in standard setup (0,0,0,0) for me is excellent. The highs that have been described in this thread as borderline piercing are just perfect to my ears. Brillant and airy but not overly so. Eg, they are more present than the ones of the U12t but less glary than e.g. with the Tia Trio. The Bass level (position 0) is very well chosen (neutral with some accentuation of bass). Position 1 lets you feel a double bass weight almost like with a very good dynamic driver. The difference to the Odin for example is small.

Right now (yes, still in the honeymoon phase) I prefer them to all of my other in-ears: Odin (mids too forward, almost shouty at times), U12t (treble resonance with silicon tips, not enough treble level and extension with foam tips), TiaTrio (mids tonality less than perfect), IER Z1R (imprecise soundstage, treble peak), RSV (resolution and macro dynamics slightly lacking), MEST og (slightly disjointed, treble peak), Andromeda S (limited bass control and impact), Andromeda og (limited bass control and impact, treble peak), Prophile 8 (lack of extension in subbass and treble).
Very great and detailed comparison indeed. Cab you please through a couple more words in regard of treble V14 vs Odin? quantity and quality - wise. Which one is more comfortable for longer listening?

May 29, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #2,201 of 2,715
To my ears, please take into account my age-induced hearing limit of just above 14 kHz, the treble quantity of the two is comparable and the character and quality are pretty similar. Treble in both is very present and extended without being spikey or harsh. Regarding micro dynamics the Odin is in front and, I must say, clearly so. Its ability of holographic depicting is unrivaled. The V14 is very good, too, but not as breathtakingly so as the Odin. OTOH the Odin's resolution may almost be too much, providing detail in such spades that for some listeners this may distract from enjoying the music. For me, being a (chamber) jazz and acoustic afficionado, I'm loving this ability of the Odin. For those who don't, the V14 may be an alternative. It goes a bit in the direction of the RSV, which in favor of coherency sacrifices some detail. The V14 is in between the RSV and Odin: better resolving that the RSV but not as scalpel-like as the Odin. And the Odin's bass is still a bit more punchy and defined. In the mids, however, for my preferences the V14 is clearly above the Odin.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,202 of 2,715

Thanks! Very informative!

Jun 2, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,203 of 2,715
I've been reading this thread with great interest as I just bought the V14's myself to use with the new Shanling M8 and now can't think of any reason to spend anymore money at all. One thing is that the QDC units as supplied to Hong Kong where I live don't come with the QDC type raised pin socket, but have conventional 2 pin hole in the main body. I'm wondering if the phase issue is altered as a result or still the same? I tried reversing the pin connectors of my Plussounds cable but didn't hear any noticeable difference so I connected back as normal with the PS logo facing inwards and will keep them like that.

I can't get into the same level of detailed and analytical descriptions as the more informed folk here but what I can say is I thought the Shure 846 were awesome until I bought the CFA Ara's (thanks Darko), which were even more awesome until I bought the 64 Trio's (thanks Crin) which were even more awesome until I bought the QDC (thanks BadGuyGoodAudio) - that's all the IEM I'll ever want or need. Endgame reached!!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #2,204 of 2,715
I dont like the raised plug 2pin so lucky you to have not. I am wondering if that is the only difference or there is also some other in the tuning section.
I have put a 1950 cable on mine and me too i Am using it in the "normal phase" way.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #2,205 of 2,715
I've been reading this thread with great interest as I just bought the V14's myself to use with the new Shanling M8 and now can't think of any reason to spend anymore money at all. One thing is that the QDC units as supplied to Hong Kong where I live don't come with the QDC type raised pin socket, but have conventional 2 pin hole in the main body. I'm wondering if the phase issue is altered as a result or still the same? I tried reversing the pin connectors of my Plussounds cable but didn't hear any noticeable difference so I connected back as normal with the PS logo facing inwards and will keep them like that.

I can't get into the same level of detailed and analytical descriptions as the more informed folk here but what I can say is I thought the Shure 846 were awesome until I bought the CFA Ara's (thanks Darko), which were even more awesome until I bought the 64 Trio's (thanks Crin) which were even more awesome until I bought the QDC (thanks GoodGuyBadGuy) - that's all the IEM I'll ever want or need. Endgame reached!!
When i pickup my pre-order i didn't know they also offer normal 2-pin, until i saw some store mention it. :see_no_evil:
Well, i'm not reviewer so i hesitate to post detailed info, but willing to share impression.
Such treble become smoother after around 1 week and they scaling well with external amp such C9.
I'm still enjoying V14 up to this day. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back