QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,161 of 2,715
Yeah qdc cables are reversed. The adapters aren't widely available. I know music sanctuary in sg has them.
Thanks for the info! qdc type is nice, just hope they use the same polarity:sweat_smile:

May 20, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,162 of 2,715
Thanks!
Yes I love PWA’s Copper M2, it runs very nicely with DUNU SA6, I almost like it over DUNU’s furukawa DUW03 on SA6.

Unfortunately I tried to out PWA M2 on VX the qdc connector didn’t like it, it didn’t fit properly and I wouldn’t risk it pushing it in by force.

I keep forgetting about qdc’s connectors …

May 20, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #2,163 of 2,715
Hey guys,

I’m sorry for the delay on my impressions for the V14, but I’ve picked up a mild sinus infection which affects my hearing somewhat. Once I’m past it, I’ll post my listening impressions.

I did play with the switches today, and unlike the VX, the changes are more subtle. The bass boost from Crin’s graph looks to be about 2dB, so you’re not going to get the bass head level of the VX which is fine for me since I felt its bump was too much for my liking. As you can see below, those that found the VX too bright may have a remedy with the V14’s switches all on:

graph.png

graph 2.png

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,164 of 2,715
Also, for those somewhat new to graphs, please keep in mind the 8kHz bump is an insertion resonance, not necessarily an indicator of the V14’s true frequency response. As Crin mentions:

Expect a resonant peak. This peak exists around 7-10k and is affected by insert depth. If you are not sure what I’m talking about … ignore [graph] frequencies above 7k.”

On the topic of polarity, I’m going to respond by saying something that some will find controversial … since qdc reverses absolute polarity, not relative polarity, this will not be an issue when using other cables that don’t have its polarity reversed, and let me explain why:

Maintaining absolute polarity is when the signal recorded at the studio matches the output when played by the consumer, i.e., when the microphone driver is pushed inward by the waveform, this creates a playback transducer to push outward thereby producing a compression waveform at one’s ears. The problem with this scenario is that few studios, if any, concern themselves with maintaining absolute polarity given the environment with cabling and equipment in a studio, as I understand it. This means every released CD or music file one has will potentially not be in absolute polarity, it’s about a 50/50% proposition. This is the reason why qdc’s polarity design is not going to create a problem when using other cables.

Perhaps @Deezel177 can chime in if I explained this phenomena correctly since he is a recording engineer.

May 20, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2,165 of 2,715
Also, for those somewhat new to graphs, please keep in mind the 8kHz bump is an insertion resonance, not necessarily an indicator of the V14’s true frequency response. As Crin mentions:

Expect a resonant peak. This peak exists around 7-10k and is affected by insert depth. If you are not sure what I’m talking about … ignore [graph] frequencies above 7k.”

On the topic of polarity, I’m going to respond by saying something that some will find controversial … since qdc reverses absolute polarity, not relative polarity, this will not be an issue when using other cables that don’t have its polarity reversed, and let me explain why:

Maintaining absolute polarity is when the signal recorded at the studio matches the output when played by the consumer, i.e., when the microphone driver is pushed inward by the waveform, this creates a playback transducer to push outward thereby producing a compression waveform at one’s ears. The problem with this scenario is that few studios, if any, concern themselves with maintaining absolute polarity given the environment with cabling and equipment in a studio, as I understand it. This means every released CD or music file one has will potentially not be in absolute polarity, it’s about a 50/50% proposition. This is the reason why qdc’s polarity design is not going to create a problem when using other cables.

Perhaps @Deezel177 can chime in if I explained this phenomena correctly since he is a recording engineer.
I'm not 100% sure whether polarity or phase in the recording studio translates directly to IEMs. But, I can speak from my own experience (as well as the testimonies of others) that inverting the polarity of an IEM relative to its cable can cause anomalies in imaging. It depends on the in-ear, but it can generally be described as a diffuseness of the centre image, as well as a cross-feed-like effect towards the left and right. I can't say for sure whether or not that's what you'll experience with the V14, but that has been the general consensus among listeners I've spoken to.

May 20, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #2,166 of 2,715
I'm not 100% sure whether polarity or phase in the recording studio translates directly to IEMs. But, I can speak from my own experience (as well as the testimonies of others) that inverting the polarity of an IEM relative to its cable can cause anomalies in imaging. It depends on the in-ear, but it can generally be described as a diffuseness of the centre image, as well as a cross-feed-like effect towards the left and right. I can't say for sure whether or not that's what you'll experience with the V14, but that has been the general consensus among listeners I've spoken to.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand there is a sonic hit when the signal is not in absolute polarity, and it does impact imaging, but since we can never know if the released media maintains absolute polarity throughout the signal chain, it’s a moot point unless … as some of my customers did by listening through a system with an absolute polarity switch, one listens to each of their recordings and marks on them which polarity position sounds better. Complicating this is that a given album may have tracks both in and out of absolute polarity.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,167 of 2,715
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand there is a sonic hit when the signal is not in absolute polarity, and it does impact imaging, but since we can never know if the released media maintains absolute polarity throughout the signal chain, it’s a moot point unless … as some of my customers did by listening through a system with an absolute polarity switch, one listens to each of their recordings and marks on them which polarity position sounds better. Complicating this is that a given album may have tracks both in and out of absolute polarity.
I think I disagree here. On any speaker I have tried this with, inverting the polarity hurt the sound. And listening to recorded vs live, the inverted polarity is definitely hurting the reproduction. Now, I refer to the is as out of phase. I do not feel it is a moot point. Tks.

May 21, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #2,168 of 2,715
I think I disagree here. On any speaker I have tried this with, inverting the polarity hurt the sound. And listening to recorded vs live, the inverted polarity is definitely hurting the reproduction. Now, I refer to the is as out of phase. I do not feel it is a moot point. Tks.

Are you talking about relative phase?

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #2,169 of 2,715
Based on my experience, I agree with jwbrent, really hard to detect if we reverse the phase in speaker (and IEM) for BOTH channel. The recording chain, and playback chain make it impossible to detect absolute correct phase.
If we reverse only one channel then it will be very obvious.

May 22, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #2,171 of 2,715
Are you talking about relative phase?
Yes. In re-reading the comments on polarity and phase I may have mis-understood the discussion. I am speaking about a system being out of phase caused by the polarity being inverted on only one speaker. I think you are talking about reversing the polarity of both speakers which would keep them both in phase. That is probably fine, though my OCD would never allow me to leave it that way once I caught it. Tks.

May 22, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,172 of 2,715
C2B873EE-4B01-4AA3-B0CE-9BEE8488D90B.jpeg

Just received these. Quick Q: where would I be able to read more about the switches? At this point in time, I am not even sure which way is on or off. Or even how to handle the switches? Is there a tool for the switches?
Apologies for the many noob questions. Thanks!

May 22, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,173 of 2,715

Just received these. Quick Q: where would I be able to read more about the switches? At this point in time, I am not even sure which way is on or off. Or even how to handle the switches? Is there a tool for the switches?
Apologies for the many noob questions. Thanks!
This is all I have. Don’t you have a brush, small frequency changer, at the other end?
DBBDFD8C-B6BD-4C26-A613-7E95F2978735.png

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,174 of 2,715
This is all I have. Don’t you have a brush, small frequency changer, at the other end?
DBBDFD8C-B6BD-4C26-A613-7E95F2978735.png

Thanks for the photo. Helps loads. I’ve been loaned the demo unit. Guess they may have misplaced it. :)

May 22, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2,175 of 2,715
Cool! Enjoy! It looks like all down is Standard. My Anole V3 has a brush.
Thanks for the photo. Helps loads. I’ve been loaned the demo unit. Guess they may have misplaced it. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back