QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 25, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,787 of 2,722
I'm using a $1000 cable (balanced), so the question here is not being balanced or unbalanced, but the cable's quality. Difference is quite noticeable for stock cable, or even a $500 cable.
I don't believe the cable quality stuff. I once did an experiment with some very high quality speakers where I replaced the $10,000 cables my friend had with unprotected copper wire I had lying around. In a blind A/B neither of us could tell a difference. I'm talking about running it balanced off an amp and DAC with balanced architectures.

May 25, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,788 of 2,722
I'm using a $1000 cable (balanced), so the question here is not being balanced or unbalanced, but the cable's quality. Difference is quite noticeable for stock cable, or even a $500 cable.
Of course, if you hear a difference, or if it makes you happy, it's your money, so have at it. It's just not my cup of tea. What unbalance source have you tested?

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,789 of 2,722
Has anyone tried running the VX or Gemini balanced? How does it compare to SE?

I use a Luminox Audio Day for Night 4.4mm balanced cable and I’m happy with it, but my opinion is that the source/dac/dap will be the greater influence on the final sound quality improvement rather than the termination itself.

I mainly use a Sony TA-ZH1ES desktop dac/amp with my Anole VX which in my opinion sounds best with its balanced ports. However there are many other dacs/daps that have great single end ports. So I guess it all depends on what you plan to pair your IEM with.

May 25, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #1,790 of 2,722
I use a Luminox Audio Day for Night 4.4mm balanced cable and I’m happy with it, but my opinion is that the source/dac/dap will be the greater influence on the final sound quality improvement rather than the termination itself.

I mainly use a Sony TA-ZH1ES desktop dac/amp with my Anole VX which in my opinion sounds best with its balanced ports. However there are many other dacs/daps that have great single end ports. So I guess it all depends on what you plan to pair your IEM with.
Yeah I'll likely stay SE for mobile use. I see no reason to replace my Mojo, but I'm eyeing the A90 for a new pair of Aryas, and I already have a balanced cable for my Gemini, so the wheels started turning.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #1,794 of 2,722
Of course, if you hear a difference, or if it makes you happy, it's your money, so have at it. It's just not my cup of tea. What unbalance source have you tested?
I can hear it quite easily. It's more than evident to me. I'm talking about the Effect Audio Leonidas. These cables do make a difference and it's not subtle.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #1,796 of 2,722
I personally will only buy the $17 Linsoul Tripowin silver braided cable. The best cable I have ever bought, its a nice and thick beautiful braided cable with a QDC connector. Sounds pretty much the same as the stock qdc cable. I would never spend so much money on those upgrade cables from Effect Audio as I will break the cable near the jack from normal wear and tear (bending it in my pants whenever I sit down) in less than a year.

May 26, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #1,797 of 2,722
Never say never. :)

I used to say the same. Now I have 3x EA cables and miss them everyday since sent them for service.

May 27, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #1,798 of 2,722
Hey everyone,

I opened up the case to my Anole VXs this morning to find a small chip in the acrylic shell. I reached out to QDC via email (still waiting for them to get back to me), but does anyone else have any experience with the QDC repair process? Unfortunately, I'm located in NY which will probably further complicate this issue.

Any advice or past experiences appreciated.

May 27, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,799 of 2,722
Hey everyone,

I opened up the case to my Anole VXs this morning to find a small chip in the acrylic shell. I reached out to QDC via email (still waiting for them to get back to me), but does anyone else have any experience with the QDC repair process? Unfortunately, I'm located in NY which will probably further complicate this issue.

This post made me think instantly of Polywatch - works an absolute treat on scratched and chipped acrylic (it was designed for vintage watch crystals) and will save you a lot of bother, unless the shell is actually cracked and in danger of breaking open.

https://polywatch.de/en/plastic-polish/

May 27, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,800 of 2,722
Hey everyone,

I, fortunately, have not had this issue. Hopefully the post on polywatch will help you. I wanted to mention you might want to look into the Dignis Arca case for future protection. It can be purchased at Moon Audio. It is not cheap, but it provides separate compartments for each ear piece so that they cannot touch each other. Good luck with your repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back