QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #256 of 2,722
My whole thing was looking for a contrast to my Noble Encore. So maybe my hearing was slanted. If I found a model which overlapped the Encore sound I passed on. I’m not sure qdc even makes another model which sounds like the Anole V3. You couldn’t even set the crossovers to get the other models to get to where the Anole V3 was in the bass section. You would think they would offer the Anole V3 sound with more drivers and more top end detail? Of course maybe the extra top end detail simply sounded more bright to my ears at the time. I was simply looking for the exact sound of the Anole V3 as the Encore takes care of the other side. I look at the two IEMs as opposites.

But yes, if I didn’t already have the Encore, I probably would have approached the whole line differently? I simply had a sound goal. And while the Anole V3 has it’s limitations in upper end fireworks, it makes up for it with personality. It could be true too that it’s bass isn’t the lowest, but it’s pretty low, even in standard mode. Also the soundstage isn’t the biggest, but it’s nice. Though with my TA full-size amp, the Anole V3 becomes slighly too smooth missing some treble detail. I don’t know if I have ever encountered the same issue before. If anything it simply proves the line it walks. I can’t even compare the signature to any full size headphones? But balanced gets it out of the woods a little getting better separation and imaging, which effectively gets more detail.

My best pairing is the Sony WM-1Z.

But I never look at driver count in relation to price. There obviously IS that scale where driver counts ups the asking price. And of course there is the amount of parts and craftsmanship which would up the price, but I’m more concerned with implementation and what the IEM can do regardless of price and/or driver count. There are now 18BA driver per side IEMs.

If you look at the new $2300 IER-Z1R it only has three drivers per side.

Maybe I should give the v3 another try with a balanced cable, but I do feel that for the money that qdc is asking for the v3 it's lacking in resolution and imaginng. The switch is a nice feature, but I rarely use the 1 switch on my Gemini, i wonder how often do you change tuning on your anole? since you have to take the iem off to do it. I do believe the anole line satisfy a specific market, and I have high hopes for the VX.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #257 of 2,722
Maybe I should give the v3 another try with a balanced cable, but I do feel that for the money that qdc is asking for the v3 it's lacking in resolution and imaginng. The switch is a nice feature, but I rarely use the 1 switch on my Gemini, i wonder how often do you change tuning on your anole? since you have to take the iem off to do it. I do believe the anole line satisfy a specific market, and I have high hopes for the VX.

The day I purchased the switch was placed on bass mode. After a week I went back to standard mode. I leave it in standard mode. The Anole V3 is lacking in resolution, but it’s not boring like a low quality low resolution headphone would be. It has maybe just enough resolution. But it’s probably a personal thing; as many would want more midrange and treble detail.

Of course this hobby is subjective to the highest degree. For me though the size and shape of the Anole V3 was special. I use Sony Hybrid Tips and the fit is nothing short of amazing. It’s like when they go in I’m in the middle of that Pink Floyd song from Wish You Were Here; where you hear the door shut and it sounds like your in an industrial elevator?

They are actually hard to take out due to suctioning force. The down side of this crazy fit is the tone can change if I close my teeth together. Still I rarely notice this issue?

Again though with balanced you may notice an improvement in what seems like detail. Strangely they are sensitive to source. To me they sound different with everything? But due to the increased sensitivity sound great simply from an iPhone. I almost think they were made for the iPhone? The Sony WM 1Z is known for it’s bass, but it also has a slight treble spike which adds a nice forwardness to the V3.

But they are not audiophile flat in the two settings I have used. They almost seem like they could get close to audiophile flat in treble mode; though I have not tried it. They are good with bass heavy music, and more bass than any BA IEM I have tried.

It’s difficult maybe for someone transitioning from a large detailed BA array to get entertainment from them? But it probably depends on what you value in tone. With big bass EDM they are fun and comfortable to listen to long term.

It could be said they are lacking slight imaging and slight treble detail for the money. Moments before my purchase I was across town listening to the IT04 and hated it: I purchased the Anole V3 and came back the next day to get a back-up pair of Anole V3s, I liked them that much.

But again at times it’s fit and tone which are sought after not resolution. If I want insanity in resolution I put in the Noble Encore.

The Anole V3 is excellent as an out and about IEM that blocks out noise and is small enough to stay in place. They could be thought of as the ultimate sports IEM. They work in that regard as walking around may not be the perfect place to concentrate on detailed audiophile treble. But the bass energy is smooth and driving while walking around. That said the Anole can also be thought of as a mid-priced Pop music IEM which goes to exhibit the bass needed in much of today’s music. Much of the time hybrid IEM are taking the limelight due to DD doing bass so good; but the Anole V3 has it’s own personality which somehow gets an integrated and enjoyable tone with only 3 BA drivers?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #258 of 2,722
Very well described Redcarmoose. In the short while that I have had them on, I agree with pretty much everything you have said about them. They are definitely isolation monsters. They isolate more than my custom IEM even.

I only tried my V3 with the stock AMP1 on my DX200. I just switched it to AMP7 yesterday to pair with my custom. Tomorrow I'll pair the V3 with AMP7 to see if there is synergy. After a few days of that, I'll pair it with the qdc 4.4 cable and change the amp module to AMP8.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #259 of 2,722
Very well described Redcarmoose. In the short while that I have had them on, I agree with pretty much everything you have said about them. They are definitely isolation monsters. They isolate more than my custom IEM even.

I only tried my V3 with the stock AMP1 on my DX200. I just switched it to AMP7 yesterday to pair with my custom. Tomorrow I'll pair the V3 with AMP7 to see if there is synergy. After a few days of that, I'll pair it with the qdc 4.4 cable and change the amp module to AMP8.

It will be fun to get your impressions of the V3. In some ways your listening could be judgmental and possibly critical due to the little V3 going back to back with other IEMs in your collection?

It will be interesting if you find a place for the V3 in your rotation. It will also be of interest if you take the V3 moble or listen at home; in use.

Of the owners on Head-Fi it’s nice to have you find parallels with the fit. I had not ever read about how different the fit was, and wondered if it was just me?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #261 of 2,722
qdc universals usually fit pretty well, even their larger 8BA iems.

It will be fun to try-out their new flagship universal. Somehow I really like the qwirky marketing. These hold an exotic appeal. I’m going to give the Gemini and V6 another go. You never know qdc could get some grip here at Head-Fi; there quality is great!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #262 of 2,722
It will be fun to get your impressions of the V3. In some ways your listening could be judgmental and possibly critical due to the little V3 going back to back with other IEMs in your collection?

It will be interesting if you find a place for the V3 in your rotation. It will also be of interest if you take the V3 moble or listen at home; in use.

Of the owners on Head-Fi it’s nice to have you find parallels with the fit. I had not ever read about how different the fit was, and wondered if it was just me?
It has been an odd experience for me. Last night just before going to bed, I put the V3s on immediately after listening with my custom N8 all day. It's not a fair comparison when you consider the price and the fact that the other pair is a custom. It was night time so I didn't want to play it loud at all, it was a lot lower than normal and my normal is not very loud any more as I am trying to preserve whatever hearing levels I still have. Given those circumstances, I felt the V3 was very bass light and not something I could listen to long term when the N8s are always sitting in the background waiting to be used.

I just put them back on again after listening to the N8 since this morning (it is now almost 5pm here). But today is a totally different experience to what I was listening to yesterday. The bass has come back and it is sounding a lot more airy than it did last night when it sounded quite closed and flat. I thought the volume level might have a lot to do with this change but I have just lowered the volume down now and the bass is still there. I have the V3 set at standard I believe, all the pegs are in the middle (I have them on right now and the fit is perfect so I don't want to take them off to check, lol). It was strange because last night I had trouble keeping a consistent seal. I'm using the double flange tips provided and I have to use two different sizes because my right ear canal is bigger than my left ear canal. I am interested in trying the V3 with the 4.4 cable. I think that will really fill out the sound more, at least that is what I am hoping for because the N8 does that very well.

Ok, more listening and marking papers to go...

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #263 of 2,722
It has been an odd experience for me. Last night just before going to bed, I put the V3s on immediately after listening with my custom N8 all day. It's not a fair comparison when you consider the price and the fact that the other pair is a custom. It was night time so I didn't want to play it loud at all, it was a lot lower than normal and my normal is not very loud any more as I am trying to preserve whatever hearing levels I still have. Given those circumstances, I felt the V3 was very bass light and not something I could listen to long term when the N8s are always sitting in the background waiting to be used.

I just put them back on again after listening to the N8 since this morning (it is now almost 5pm here). But today is a totally different experience to what I was listening to yesterday. The bass has come back and it is sounding a lot more airy than it did last night when it sounded quite closed and flat. I thought the volume level might have a lot to do with this change but I have just lowered the volume down now and the bass is still there. I have the V3 set at standard I believe, all the pegs are in the middle (I have them on right now and the fit is perfect so I don't want to take them off to check, lol). It was strange because last night I had trouble keeping a consistent seal. I'm using the double flange tips provided and I have to use two different sizes because my right ear canal is bigger than my left ear canal. I am interested in trying the V3 with the 4.4 cable. I think that will really fill out the sound more, at least that is what I am hoping for because the N8 does that very well.

Ok, more listening and marking papers to go...

I listened to the demo (not for sale) universal of the N8 the same afternoon and at the same store as the Anole V3. The N8 has a bigger bass which is extended way down, very analog to me. The N8 also has a brighter more sparkling treble, and more detail all around. I forget how much they cost but many times the Anole V3. But, that is the question, if you could even live with both? I do as I don’t have a bass heavy flagship in an IEM except for the Z5. Probably get a new one in December. Also though the V3 is a moble IEM for me. Probably when I recommended the V3, you OR I had no idea the N8 was in your future.

I use Sony Hybrid tips with the Anole. Also though you haven’t heard them with your balanced module. They are fairly uneventful to me until you go balanced. Also I think they do respond to volume, maybe more so than some IEMs?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #264 of 2,722
I listened to the demo (not for sale) universal of the N8 the same afternoon and at the same store as the Anole V3. The N8 has a bigger bass which is extended way down, very analog to me. The N8 also has a brighter more sparkling treble, and more detail all around. I forget how much they cost but many times the Anole V3. But, that is the question, if you could even live with both? I do as I don’t have a bass heavy flagship in an IEM except for the Z5. Probably get a new one in December. Also though the V3 is a moble IEM for me. Probably when I recommended the V3, you OR I had no idea the N8 was in your future.

I use Sony Hybrid tips with the Anole. Also though you haven’t heard them with your balanced module. They are fairly uneventful to me until you go balanced. Also I think they do respond to volume, maybe more so than some IEMs?
I think you nailed the sound signature of the N8. It is exactly the way you describe it and it is a keeper, which is why I say that this is quite an unfair comparison but like you said, an interesting one to hear about still.

And if I recall correctly, both of us had no idea that the N8 was going to be in my possession at the time of my IEM search when you brought up the V3.

But now you have me interested in changing up to AMP3 or AMP 8 so that I can test out the V3 in balanced 4.4 to 2.5 or straight into 4.4.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #265 of 2,722
If anything lesser IEMs and headphones can show us how much we love and understand our flagships. But maybe this hobby is a changing hobby, you can go back and wonder what you ever saw in an IEM.

I’m glad you like the N8. And I was the one to recommend it, when you asked for a bass monster. Cheers!

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #268 of 2,722
I think you nailed the sound signature of the N8. It is exactly the way you describe it and it is a keeper, which is why I say that this is quite an unfair comparison but like you said, an interesting one to hear about still.

And if I recall correctly, both of us had no idea that the N8 was going to be in my possession at the time of my IEM search when you brought up the V3.

But now you have me interested in changing up to AMP3 or AMP 8 so that I can test out the V3 in balanced 4.4 to 2.5 or straight into 4.4.

I remember crin showed me a graph comparing the Gemini(bass off) and N8, and they have very similar sound signatures, except Gemini have batter detail but less bass punch.

I wonder if you could demo the Gemini and compare the 2.

Thanks

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #269 of 2,722
I remember crin showed me a graph comparing the Gemini(bass off) and N8, and they have very similar sound signatures, except Gemini have batter detail but less bass punch.

I wonder if you could demo the Gemini and compare the 2.

Thanks
Next time I get a chance to visit the local shop, I'll give that a go and let you know. I'm just not sure when that will be because I am swamped at work these days.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #270 of 2,722
Next time I get a chance to visit the local shop, I'll give that a go and let you know. I'm just not sure when that will be because I am swamped at work these days.
cool, i'm debating if I should get a N8 or not, and maybe upgrade my gemini to VX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back