QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,566 of 2,715
Thank you for this. I was hoping it would be something like a "baby" V14. I was going to pick up a Tiger to be used outside as a daily driver. Really liking my V14 and remains to be part of my top 3 iem rotation (UM Indigo and Legend X being the other 2). The bass and amount of details is what I love about the V14.

qdc is perhaps my favorite IEM manufacturer, so I was a bit disappointed when I listened to the Tiger. One could eq down those heightened mids, but likely a better choice would be a replacement cable made from occ copper. I ended up selling the stock cables on my Dmagic and V14 (PWA copper) and was happy with the improvement.

I agree, the V14 should get more love by the community since to my ears it is a fantastic sounding set. 👍

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,567 of 2,715
qdc is perhaps my favorite IEM manufacturer, so I was a bit disappointed when I listened to the Tiger. One could eq down those heightened mids, but likely a better choice would be a replacement cable made from occ copper. I ended up selling the stock cables on my Dmagic and V14 (PWA copper) and was happy with the improvement.

I agree, the V14 should get more love by the community since to my ears it is a fantastic sounding set. 👍
Tiger is suppose to the be the V8 sucessor based on the marketing.I guess they opted for the mid based tuning.

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #2,568 of 2,715
Tiger is suppose to the be the V8 sucessor based on the marketing.I guess they opted for the mid based tuning.

yeah, that’s what the booth guy said. He didn’t suggest this was going to be the new voicing for qdc, just the Tiger was designed to change it up a bit with the elevated mids.

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,569 of 2,715
yeah, that’s what the booth guy said. He didn’t suggest this was going to be the new voicing for qdc, just the Tiger was designed to change it up a bit with the elevated mids.
QDC's tuning seems to have fluctuated going from VX to DMagic to V14 to Tiger. with the VX being what I consider their "house sound"

Considering the V8 mids tuning seems popular, they're probably giving it another try.

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #2,570 of 2,715
QDC's tuning seems to have fluctuated going from VX to DMagic to V14 to Tiger. with the VX being what I consider their "house sound"

Considering the V8 mids tuning seems popular, they're probably giving it another try.

I believe you are correct.

Still miss my VX, I really loved how it sounded. I’ll have to pick up another one some day.

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #2,571 of 2,715
I believe you are correct.

Still miss my VX, I really loved how it sounded. I’ll have to pick up another one some day.
I really like the frosted shells for the VX, too bad those don't come in 2 pin.

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #2,572 of 2,715
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #2,573 of 2,715
Has anyone ever compared KSE1200 to Anole VX?

Sep 28, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #2,577 of 2,715
But are they not reversed ?

Yes, they are reversed, but it really doesn’t matter. Here’s my explanation on why this is …

“I’ve commented on this before when talking about absolute polarity. It really doesn’t matter since recording studios don’t concern themselves with maintaining absolute polarity in its signal chain, so a CD release, as an example, can be either in or out of absolute phase. This is why high end preamps have an invert phase switch, to allow the user to invert absolute polarity to determine which position sounds best with a particular CD, or in some cases when songs on the same CD are recorded at different venues.

I think more high end dap/amps should have an invert phase switch.

As to relative phase, insuring the wiring is consistent with both left/right speakers, this matters greatly since otherwise the imaging becomes screwy due to cancellation effects between the speakers. Quite noticeable when heard.” ✌️

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #2,578 of 2,715
Yes they are - QDC and Earsonics still go against the industry "standard" polarity placement.

I for one still follow the "inverted" polarity for my QDC and Earsonic IEMs. IMO, signal and ground on electronic devices should properly be followed. 🤷‍♂️
As long as both IEM’s are connected the same way, they will be in phase and sound fine.

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #2,579 of 2,715
As long as both IEM’s are connected the same way, they will be in phase and sound fine.

Yes, I understand. L channel stays with L wire cable, same as Right. But the polarity is standard on the cable and of course inverted on the IEM. I've read a lot of this statement as well.

But for me, I'll still stick with what the manufacturer specified from the start. Something that's programmed in me just keeps on telling me to follow signal/ground assignments properly.

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #2,580 of 2,715
In my experience with QDC 8SL, when the polarity is reversed from the intended polarity, even when both are in phase, it sounds weird. For sounds that used to image above my ears, now image below and almost seemingly behind the ears. To confirm this I reverse the polarity on 1 side only to compare in real time. Reversed polarity sounds nice for a while, but kinda artificial sounding so I prefer the intended QDC polarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back