QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #2,041 of 2,715
Hi guys. Recently I noticed there were some imaging quirks with my anole VX. Namely, the center imaging doesn't seem to be "precise" and "focused" enough that it's ever so slightly shifted to the left.

At first I thought there was an channel imbalance issue, so I sent them back to MusicTeck to have them measured. But their result showed my VX has perfect center imaging and no channel imbalance. I then went to an audiologist to have my hearing checked up, but I didn't have any earwax built up and my hearing was just fine. I tried a bunch of eartips of different sizes, bought a new cable, but nothing worked.

FYI, none of my other IEMs has this imaging quirk. So I'm just wondering, to all of the VX owners, is this just because the VX has unique center imaging, or is there anything else I should troubleshoot? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #2,042 of 2,715
Hi guys. Recently I noticed there were some imaging quirks with my anole VX. Namely, the center imaging doesn't seem to be "precise" and "focused" enough that it's ever so slightly shifted to the left.

At first I thought there was an channel imbalance issue, so I sent them back to MusicTeck to have them measured. But their result showed my VX has perfect center imaging and no channel imbalance. I then went to an audiologist to have my hearing checked up, but I didn't have any earwax built up and my hearing was just fine. I tried a bunch of eartips of different sizes, bought a new cable, but nothing worked.

FYI, none of my other IEMs has this imaging quirk. So I'm just wondering, to all of the VX owners, is this just because the VX has unique center imaging, or is there anything else I should troubleshoot? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
I just tested a few songs on my VX and the vocals are dead center (Shallow, Aqualung, Regina Spector, Thunder Road, Boston, Opiuo). Mine is a custom. It might be something specific to yours. Cable? Tks.

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #2,043 of 2,715

I use the balance control on my daps to ensure the lead vocalist is dead center when it isn’t, and that typically can mean a .3-.4dB adjustment. Not all albums are perfectly centered, it’s just the way it is especially with older analog recordings.

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #2,045 of 2,715
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,046 of 2,715
I’ll certainly want to hear the V14 at some point, the VX is among my favorites.
Interesting, I see you own the ODIN, as well as the VX. Why do you keep the VX? I find the ODIN to be as good when it comes to detail retrieval/resolution but with better bass, treble and overall tuning. What makes the VX worthy besides the ODIN for you?

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #2,047 of 2,715

The VX is one of two IEMs I've owned that were designed as a custom then released as a universal. The other is the Elysium. I notice with both those IEMs (the universal versions) that it's important to have a proper pressure balance between your two ears-- if there is more pressure on one side than the other it can sound like one channel is louder, or more bass than the other. I had a similar issue as you and I actually sent mine all the way to QDC in China only to be told they measured fine. It's important to have a proper pressure balance in all IEMs but, in my limited experience, it seems more important when you're using IEMs that were originally designed as a custom.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,048 of 2,715
The VX is one of two IEMs I've owned that were designed as a custom then released as a universal. The other is the Elysium. I notice with both those IEMs (the universal versions) that it's important to have a proper pressure balance between your two ears-- if there is more pressure on one side than the other it can sound like one channel is louder, or more bass than the other. I had a similar issue as you and I actually sent mine all the way to QDC in China only to be told they measured fine. It's important to have a proper pressure balance in all IEMs but, in my limited experience, it seems more important when you're using IEMs that were originally designed as a custom.
Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed I thought about air pressure in my ears, but I couldn’t find a consistent way to balance it out. What do you suggest I should do?

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #2,049 of 2,715
Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed I thought about air pressure in my ears, but I couldn’t find a consistent way to balance it out. What do you suggest I should do?

I find it often rights itself over time...sometimes I try and "pop my ears" by plugging my nose and depressurizing my ears, chewing come. Failing that sometimes I just adjust the bal on my dap so it's more skewed to the left.

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,050 of 2,715
I find it happens sometimes with my universal VE8 too. I tend to grab the top tip of my ear and pull it up and down until the air pressure is equalised in both.

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,052 of 2,715
Interesting, I see you own the ODIN, as well as the VX. Why do you keep the VX? I find the ODIN to be as good when it comes to detail retrieval/resolution but with better bass, treble and overall tuning. What makes the VX worthy besides the ODIN for you?

For variety sake, plus I like collecting flagships. 😁

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #2,054 of 2,715
Mar 23, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,055 of 2,715
Try different ear tips as well which ear tips are you using?
Silicon tips: final e, spinfit cp145, spinfit double flange, stock silicon tips from qdc, campfire, and 64 audio.

foam tips: stock ones from campfire and 64.

I find the foam tips to be more consistent in balancing out pressure without too much hassle, but I dislike the sound with foam tips as it loses a little clarity and dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back