QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #151 of 2,715
I’m not good at describing the sound lol
What I meant loose is the sound of the instrument is not very firm and tight.

Is the qdc 5 live/hifi or anole have a good instrument separation?
Yeah I think youre talking about the crispness of the instruments. They sound "loose" as in they are wooly or blurry sounding right?

Never tried the anole but the 5 driver has poor instrument separation. It sounds even "looser" than the JOMO

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #152 of 2,715
Yeah I think youre talking about the crispness of the instruments. They sound "loose" as in they are wooly or blurry sounding right?
YES! This is what I don't like about the JOMO 6v2. Is it the sound signature of JOMO?

Never tried the anole but the 5 driver has poor instrument separation. It sounds even "looser" than the JOMO
Really? I don't remember its even looser than JOMO.
Any CIEM you can recommended has good instrument separation, not thin vocal/mid, and good sound stage?

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #153 of 2,715
YES! This is what I don't like about the JOMO 6v2. Is it the sound signature of JOMO?

Really? I don't remember its even looser than JOMO.
Any CIEM you can recommended has good instrument separation, not thin vocal/mid, and good sound stage?
Strictly CIEMs or will universals suffice?

So far I'm most impressed by the Noble Audio Kaiser 10 and QDC Gemini. The Kaiser 10 is more on the thin side though.

I also recently reviewed the Ibasso IT03 which might fit your preference. It sounds a little "loose" to me though. But the again I really like crisp sounding IEMs.

Here it is
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-it03.21824/reviews

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #154 of 2,715
Strictly CIEMs or will universals suffice?

So far I'm most impressed by the Noble Audio Kaiser 10 and QDC Gemini. The Kaiser 10 is more on the thin side though.

I also recently reviewed the Ibasso IT03 which might fit your preference. It sounds a little "loose" to me though. But the again I really like crisp sounding IEMs.

Here it is
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-it03.21824/reviews
Would like to get a CIEM within <1000 USD. Any recommendation within this budget?

Crisp sounding mean not loose? haha

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #155 of 2,715
Would like to get a CIEM within <1000 USD. Any recommendation within this budget?

Crisp sounding mean not loose? haha
Based on what you described then yes. You are looking for crisp sound.

I have little experience with custom IEMs so I'm not the right person to answer your questions.

Besides, I don't really go that high up the price range normally. I just enjoy trying out as many iems as possible.

I used to think the UERR ($1000) was very good but it wasn't crisp enough when I demoed it. The shure SE 846 is even worse. The CA Andromeda also wasn't crisp enough.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #156 of 2,715
Instrument feel a bit loose?

Well, I did find the JOMO to not be as crisp as I liked.

I liked the QDC Gemini a lot more than the JOMO. It's clearer, crisper, has better quality bass, better instrument separation.

In general one step up from the JOMO.
You meant Flamenco or 6v2?

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #158 of 2,715
Hello all, new QDC owner here. Unlike others, i do not experience "white noise" with my LG G6. It's the quad dac version, H870DS. However i do agree that the neptune can't handle high dynamic range at high volume. It simply distorts quite a bit. Although...whoever listens at that volume is probably deaf anyway.

After 2 weeks of owning the neptune...i can say that its tuning is easy on the ears. It's definitely not flat though. Build quality is excellent and I absolutely love the carrying box. The neptune was powered via a LG G6 or the AK320. Sound signature on both sources are similar, with the AK320 providing better resolution. Ran single-ended with PWaudio copper28 cable (I hate the stock cable as the mic kept poking me and it felt rubbery and tangly).

The bass has a lot of body but not too much depth. There isn't much sub-bass. I find the bass to be more than enough for most tracks, with good control and impact. Sometimes there's too much midbass, especially on Daft Punk's RAM. But that's just me; someone who even finds the andromeda as a little too bassy. The mids are sweet and slightly forward. Vocals are clear but slightly warm, but I like it a lot. Reminds me of the Earsonics SM3 mids. The treble is the part that disappoints me sadly. Perhaps it's just that most of my IEMs have excellent treble; ER4S, Andromeda, Kaiser Encore and some others. The treble of the neptune is just enough. It's very average i guess. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad. It's just that it doesn't have sparkle or good extension. A little EQing will improve the treble slightly, but don't expect a huge change without introducing distortion. Oh yeah, soundstage is pretty average too; not wide nor too intimate.

What QDC can do to improve the neptune; introduce a driver to handle the treble. Tune it so that it doesn't sound peaky, but provide good air and sparkle. With the other driver to handle the mids and bass, perhaps it could be tuned to reach further down to have some sub-bass rumble that's needed for some tracks. Oh, and perhaps more colour options, though I'm loving the blue tone of it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #159 of 2,715
Hello all, new QDC owner here. Unlike others, i do not experience "white noise" with my LG G6. It's the quad dac version, H870DS. However i do agree that the neptune can't handle high dynamic range at high volume. It simply distorts quite a bit. Although...whoever listens at that volume is probably deaf anyway.

After 2 weeks of owning the neptune...i can say that its tuning is easy on the ears. It's definitely not flat though. Build quality is excellent and I absolutely love the carrying box. The neptune was powered via a LG G6 or the AK320. Sound signature on both sources are similar, with the AK320 providing better resolution. Ran single-ended with PWaudio copper28 cable (I hate the stock cable as the mic kept poking me and it felt rubbery and tangly).

The bass has a lot of body but not too much depth. There isn't much sub-bass. I find the bass to be more than enough for most tracks, with good control and impact. Sometimes there's too much midbass, especially on Daft Punk's RAM. But that's just me; someone who even finds the andromeda as a little too bassy. The mids are sweet and slightly forward. Vocals are clear but slightly warm, but I like it a lot. Reminds me of the Earsonics SM3 mids. The treble is the part that disappoints me sadly. Perhaps it's just that most of my IEMs have excellent treble; ER4S, Andromeda, Kaiser Encore and some others. The treble of the neptune is just enough. It's very average i guess. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad. It's just that it doesn't have sparkle or good extension. A little EQing will improve the treble slightly, but don't expect a huge change without introducing distortion. Oh yeah, sounstage is pretty average too; not wide nor too intimate.

What QDC can do to improve the neptune; introduce a driver to handle the treble. Tune it so that it doesn't sound peaky, but provide good air and sparkle. With the other driver to handle the mids and bass, perhaps it could be tuned to reach further down to have some sub-bass rumble that's needed for some tracks. Oh, and perhaps more colour options, though I'm loving the blue tone of it.
I agree, the treble is not sparkly enough for me. More treble energy would be nice.

Sub-bass extension is definitely there imo. It's definitely boosted next to an etymotic but it's "just enough". Same story with mid bass.

I found the mids a tad warm but somehow vocal music sounds very realistic.

As for the dynamic range I'd say they are underperforming. Personally I have never heard any distortion from my other IEMs before I got the Neptune which led me to think it was because i got a faulty unit. After extensive listening I found that the Neptune is particularly prone to distortion to a particular type of sound. The very full sounding piano type sound. In other soundtracks it can get very loud without distortion.

It's tuning does make it sound better layered in some cases but it's not very good for soundtrack type music. The clarity drops off once the track gets very busy.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #160 of 2,715
I agree, the treble is not sparkly enough for me. More treble energy would be nice.

Sub-bass extension is definitely there imo. It's definitely boosted next to an etymotic but it's "just enough". Same story with mid bass.

I found the mids a little warm but somehow vocal music sounds very realistic.

As for the dynamic range I'd say they are underperforming. Personally I have never heard any distortion from my other IEMs before I got the Neptune which led me to think it was because i got a faulty unit. After extensive listening I found that the Neptune is particularly prone to distortion to a particular type of sound. The very full sounding piano type sound. In other soundtracks it can get very loud without distortion.

It's tuning does make it sound better layered in some cases but it's not very good for soundtrack type music. The clarity drops off once the track gets very busy.

I guess it just doesn't suit my primary taste, but good to have around. I think i'll be keeping it as a throwaround iem, for trips to the beach or when trekking. It's laid back, easy to listen to and quite forgiving of poorly mastered tracks.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #161 of 2,715
I guess it just doesn't suit my primary taste, but good to have around. I think i'll be keeping it as a throwaround iem, for trips to the beach or when trekking. It's laid back, easy to listen to and quite forgiving of poorly mastered tracks.
Hopefully the Echobox Finder I ordered from Massdrop will better satisfy my preference.

How's the Kaiser 10 Encore though? I like the original K10 but found it a little lacking in the bass department.

I didn't like the sound of the Andromeda. Same case with the Neptune, not resolving enough.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #162 of 2,715
Hopefully the Echobox Finder I ordered from Massdrop will better satisfy my preference.

How's the Kaiser 10 Encore though? I like the original K10 but found it a little lacking in the bass department.

I didn't like the sound of the Andromeda. Same case with the Neptune, not resolving enough.

I can't believe you found the k10 lacking in bass lol. I feel it's a bit too boosted in the k10. The Kaiser Encore definitely has lesser bass than the k10. It is better balanced, with really really good clarity. Better than the Andromeda definitely...but i won't say the Andromeda is not resolving enough, it definitely has good amount of clarity. I'll agree with you, the neptune doesn't have enough clarity. But in the $200 price range, i wonder what iem has better clarity than the neptune though.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #163 of 2,715
I can't believe you found the k10 lacking in bass lol. I feel it's a bit too boosted in the k10. The Kaiser Encore definitely has lesser bass than the k10. It is better balanced, with really really good clarity. Better than the Andromeda definitely...but i won't say the Andromeda is not resolving enough, it definitely has good amount of clarity. I'll agree with you, the neptune doesn't have enough clarity. But in the $200 price range, i wonder what iem has better clarity than the neptune though.
I've tried a few with better clarity. The CKR-9 was phenomenal for its price. The JVC FXH-30 is exceptional for 50 bucks. The RE-00 would be about the same in clarity as the Neptune but it has a very 2d soundstage and consequently lacks instrument separation.

In no opinion, 90% of IEMs under 300 dollars suck in the clarity department. Most have a laid back tuning where the treble is recessed. I typically need to search long and hard for competent IEMs.

As for the K10, I thought it could use more sub bass. The mid bass is fine. Quality is good but as with most BA IEMs they lack the thickness. The CKR-9s had THE best quality bass I've ever heard. Good weight yet textured and detailed. Not slow or bloated like 95% of dynamic IEMs out there.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #164 of 2,715
F140DB71-D3A4-4E77-BC9F-D4DC2F017D98.jpeg
Want to share my anoleV6 on nawaza balanced cable using acoustune clarity tips

Sounds really great (using on standard mode)
There’s a noticeable increased in soundstage, faster response w/ good bass extensions and sparkling highs
The mids became slightly recessed that gave way to other freqs which suits my taste

Still waiting for qdc pins tho for perfect fit

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #165 of 2,715
Want to share my anoleV6 on nawaza balanced cable using acoustune clarity tips

Sounds really great (using on standard mode)
There’s a noticeable increased in soundstage, faster response w/ good bass extensions and sparkling highs
The mids became slightly recessed that gave way to other freqs which suits my taste

Still waiting for qdc pins tho for perfect fit
I think you are the first one who share impression of anole, could you share more?
I'm thinking about to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back