q-JAYS Review (with pictures and video) (final production version)
Aug 26, 2007 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

The_Duke_Of_Eli

Headphoneus Supremus
Initially I would like to extend many thanks to Peter and the rest of the JAYS production team who are very kind and generous to their product testers.

Unboxing impressions:

I received these final, boxed version IEMs about a week ago. The box they are packaged in is a handy black box; avoiding the usual plastic blister packaging. Inside is where you'll find the usual plastic sealing. Included inside the box is the following:

1) q-JAYS IEMs
2) 2 extension cords (1 straight, 1 L-shaped. This is something I requested they included. Sometimes the device you're using is best suited for one or the other. It's nice to see both.)
3) Tips in every size imaginable (XXS to L) in re-usable blister packaging.
4) Splitter (1 1/8" to 2 1/8")
5) Airline adapter (2 1/8" mono to 1 1/8" stereo)
6) Soft carring case
7) Instruction guide
8) Sheet of sticker filters

As you can see it's quite a complete package, especially at its pricepoint. The tips are standard rubber sleeves which get the job done. They're just as comfortable as the rubber tips from Shure and Westone. Their isolation is fair, but very high pitched noises aren't necissarily fully-blocked out. Without music playing I could hear my PC whine a bit. With music playing however, most is blocked out. The stock on the q-JAYS are a bit thicker than the standard IEMs, so you're not going to be able to fit other manufacturer's tips on it natively. At no time did I really feel the need or want to try other tips. I have been assured that JAYS has an engineer working on tip testing, so we may expect some new tips in the future. The q-JAYS themselves are built extremely strong; regardless of their small size. Their insertion is as easy as the d-JAYS, and can go either standard earbud-style, or around the ear à la Shure. The cable is kevlar-reinforced and is a step above standard cable. The back end of the IEM is also covered in some sort of rubbery material that helps your grip during insertion; as the usual plastic doesn't offer the same kind of friction for easy insertion. A last note on the cable: it is natively very short. This is meant for easy use with cell phone adaptors. To reach more than 2 feet; you'll need to use one of the 90 cm extension cables. These extension cables do double duty as they also reduce the wear on the male connector on the IEMs.

Sonic impressions

High end

The high-end on these IEMs is incredibly smooth. Enya's singing is delivered butter-smooth; even at the top of the spectrum. The only downfall in this area is a bit of extension into the higher frequencies that I can hear clearer on something like my HD595s. This is more noticeable with vocals than instrumental; which is a direct reflection on the timbre of these IEMs. These are generally dryer and more analytical than something like the UM2s. Very ER-4 like. Overall; I'm happy here, and this may be the only complaint I could have sonically, albeit minor.

Mid-range

I've always found the midrange on JAYS' prodcuts to be extremely good, and almost always their main draw. And here is no exception. The midrange is very well defined and clear, while maintaing smoothness (such as Benny Goodman's big band clarinet solos). It is overall very pleasing, and on par to other dual and on certain tiers triple-driver iems. It very much reminds me of the UM2's midrange.

Bass

The bass in these IEMs is likely to cause the same sort of uproar in the IEM community as that of the ER4. The bass on these is sufficient. These do not have the impactfulness of the UM2s, but they do have greater clarity and extension. The quantity on these I find is somewhere in between the Etymotic ER4 and Shure E4s. But on both regards has the best definition and closer to that of the ER4.

Overall

Overall, no frequency range overpowers these IEMs. This was the one reason that I disliked Shure's E4s. They in their own regard are good IEMs all-around, but didn't do anything exemplary, and overall was good, but not excellent. The q-JAYS are the same in no dominant frequency, but excels at delivering each and every frequency range at the same time.

Sound stage

Not unlike every other IEM, the soundstage of these is compressed. You just can't get that full headphone-liked soundstage out of IEMs. For now... (JAYS is working on a new headphone that sounds almost identical to full-sized headphones soundstage-wise) It is on par to the E500s and UM2s when it comes to this. But any midrange, full-sized headphone will trump it in this regard. But this is the sacrifice that's made for music in such a small package.

Conclusion

It is important to keep in mind that these are dual micro armatures that are inside these incredibly small IEMs. It is a design feat in itself how good they sound and how small they are at the same time. At 179$, there isn't any cheaper multiple-driver IEM on the market. With their small size and easy insertion, they're already winners. But what seperates these from the 300$+ E500/Triple.fi 10 pros/"3"s? Those IEMs, notably the latter are more musical I find, and offer further frequency extension (especially in the high-end). They also improve further on clarity. But again, these are midrange IEMs, and while here and there they can match the big boys, overall they're not going to make you want to throw out your high-end IEMs instead. They're a unique market in this diverging pricepoint, and its ergonomics only make the package even more attractive. I've been tempted to look into some Livewire T1s or the "3"s, but these q-JAYS have hindered any need to look into those at the current moment.

[size=medium]KEEP SCROLLING DOWN FOR PICS/YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK:[/size]

System note: tested using solely a Meier Audio Move with level 8 compression .FLAC files through Foobar2000.

Pictures

Video:http://youtube.com/watch?v=RTBj9QPn1aQ

For more reading check out kramer5150's review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256279

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 52
Thanks for the review. You called them "midrange" IEMs. Do they have the same forward midrange (prominent over the rest of the spectrum) that I found to be a trademark on the d-JAYS? Also, how do the electric guitars sound? I think that the Etymotic and Shure E500 have both very "relaxed" guitars, while the d-JAYS have the "snarling" timbre that Kramer used to like a lot.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 52
I think he meant mid-level and wasn't talking about the sound signature. Although they perform at a pretty close to the high-level ones.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. You called them "midrange" IEMs. Do they have the same forward midrange (prominent over the rest of the spectrum) that I found to be a trademark on the d-JAYS? Also, how do the electric guitars sound? I think that the Etymotic and Shure E500 have both very "relaxed" guitars, while the d-JAYS have the "snarling" timbre that Kramer used to like a lot.

jant71 is right. When I say "midrange" IEM I mean price-range.

Unlike the d-JAYS which could categorically be classified as more mid frequency range IEMs, the q-JAYS are nicely balanced. Electric guitars are there, but not always the main component to the sound. The overall spectrum as I said in the review is very balanced.

I appreciate the positive feedback; and of course I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unlike the d-JAYS which could categorically be classified as more mid frequency range IEMs, the q-JAYS are nicely balanced. Electric guitars are there, but not always the main component to the sound. The overall spectrum as I said in the review is very balanced.

x2... Nice review.

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 52
the question is, this is a dual armature IEM at the $150 to $200 range,
means its direct competition is the Atrio M5/8 and the Super.fi 5 pro, the Shure SE310 and SE210 can also be in direct competition,

would you consider these better then the atrios or the Super.fi 5 ?
the shures only compare in price, the direct price competitors seem to be single armature low level IEM´s.

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 52
Hey, you showed one of the new shuffle coloured blue d-JAYS in the video! Wow it looks nice!

Peter/anybody else who has the authority, would it be possible for you to post pictures of the coloured d-JAYS lineup?

Duke, could you please post some closeup detailed pics of those d-JAYS? Oh, and what is the music at the end of the video?

Cheers

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, you showed one of the new shuffle coloured blue d-JAYS in the video! Wow it looks nice!

Peter/anybody else who has the authority, would it be possible for you to post pictures of the coloured d-JAYS lineup?

Duke, could you please post some closeup detailed pics of those d-JAYS? Oh, and what is the music at the end of the video?

Cheers

I didn't think we were supposed to... Let me contact Jens/Peter and get their confirmation. I have a metallic orange pair... that sound bassier ( and thus a lot better) than the standard d-jays.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pic next to the "bud" really shows how small these things are!

I'm astonished by their small size too!!
eek.gif

Thanks for the review. I am interested by a comparison with Super.fi's as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't think we were supposed to... Let me contact Jens/Peter and get their confirmation. I have a metallic orange pair... that sound bassier ( and thus a lot better) than the standard d-jays.

Is the new shuffle coloured line SUPPOSED to sound sonically different to the older colours?

Also, does the white cable on the d-JAYS get marked or discoloured. Like I used to find that when I took my iBuds to the gym the white cable would get a dark "coating" probably from sweat and grit in some places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back