PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Jul 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 734
Quote:
I already said I have owned PX100 and IMO they sound worse than KSC75 which cost me only $12.50 so they sure have no chance against my HD595, DT990pro and SRH840.

So, your KSC75 sounds better than the PX100 even though it's cheaper, yet the PX100 has no chance against your other headphones because... it's also cheaper?

Quote:
Are you now claiming the PX100 and just a shadow of the PX100-II?

Um, what? Care to rephrase? Also, I'd love a reference to myself to where I claim the PX100 is a shadow of the PX100-II.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #32 of 734
Quote:

Bloated was probably the wrong word - I need to study the "audio terms" glossary more! Anyway, part of my problem was the EQ settings. I was listening to the PX100II's using my custom KSC75 EQ preset (on my Samsung Galaxy S2/PowerAmp app). At first I thought it was great, but then after a while I was noticing fatigue. I re-worked the EQ settings, and now between the revised EQ settings and the stretched headband, I'm pretty sure that I have reached nirvana.

Fwiw, I really should have known to play with the EQ settings earlier, because the same thing happened before when I had the Portapro's and then got the KSC75's: I continued using the Portapro EQ settings and the KSC75's sounded, well, bloated and fatiguing. Once I created my custom KSC75 EQ preset, I was happy.

Actually, that was indeed the right word. There is a concentration of midbass. I just don't find it very bothersome, or significant enough to cause issues. But like I mentioned, this type of headphone really benefits from that.

I've found that the equalizer is a very effective tool that gets overlooked. While I usually don't use EQ for higher end gear, I almost always use it for lower end stuff. In doing so, you have ultimate flexibility in crafting the sound to your preference.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #33 of 734
Quote:
I already said I have owned PX100 and IMO they sound worse than KSC75 which cost me only $12.50 so they sure have no chance against my HD595, DT990pro and SRH840.

In fact, the PX100 were given to me and I told the person who gave them to me that I would prefer to trade them for the cheaper KSC75 because I liked their sound better, which is what we did. Are you now claiming the PX100 and just a shadow of the PX100-II?

NEXT!

I would take the KSC75 over all Beyerdynamics that I have owned or heard, except the 880/600 and definitely over the Senn HD595 which I find unbearable and hideous for music...just my opinion so don't get upset. I compared my PX200-II to my HD580 and they sound was a lot closer than you might think. Mids were damn close. Top and bottom were less refined and not as extended, but carried the same tone. Sometimes it just depends on how much you can live or can't live with diminishing returns. I find the MS1 to be almost indistinguishable from the SR225 and there's a decent price difference there. I am not the only one who thinks that. Why is it so hard for you to accept his opinion, not that you have to I suppose.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #34 of 734
I don't get offended, ever, but I have to say your opinion of both beyer and senn 595 are pretty crap and way out in lala land if you actually think the KSC75 is a better HP. You may prefer their sound signature and you may well have crap hearing too, but to claim KSC75 and/or PX100 is actually better is just dumb. I have barely been here 3 days and I am already tiring of the pseudo audiophiles with their BS outlandish claims. Better go buy some more silver wire to make dem KSC75 really sing. <roll eyes emoticon>

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #36 of 734
Quote:
I don't get offended, ever, but I have to say your opinion of both beyer and senn 595 are pretty crap and way out in lala land if you actually think the KSC75 is a better HP. You may prefer their sound signature and you may well have crap hearing too, but to claim KSC75 and/or PX100 is actually better is just dumb.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Quote:
I have barely been here 3 days and I am already tiring of the pseudo audiophiles with their BS outlandish claims.

LOL! Yet here you are making claims a headphone sounds better just because it has a bigger driver and costs more.

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #37 of 734
px100-ii and ksc75 are like oranges and apples to me, they both sound different and some person prefers the px100-ii and the other prefers the ksc75.

but for me both of them are considered "bang for the buck"

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #38 of 734
The PX100 was an awesome portable headphone. One of the drivers in my PX100 stopped working late last year sadly. I was perfectly happy with just having that one headphone for over four years. Now I'm forever searching for the perfect headphones. Buy buy buy! Maybe the PX100 cursed me!

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #39 of 734
Quote:
px100-ii and ksc75 are like oranges and apples to me, they both sound different and some person prefers the px100-ii and the other prefers the ksc75.

but for me both of them are considered "bang for the buck"

I think you have hit the nail on the head. They both do sound different. The ksc75's (on headband) are less "full" sounding, but the instruments are more distinct and separated. And there is more treble action happening (ie you can really hear the snares etc). There is more of an airy sound quality. The bass is there and is quite distinct, and overall they sound quite awesome and are very easy to listen to. You can listen to them all day thinking that they sound awesome, and you can crank them up and they still sound awesome. In summary, for the price, the ksc75's (on a headband) are a miracle. Anyone who hasn't tried these $20 drivers on the $1.95 Parts-express headband should do themselves a favour and do so.

The px100ii's by comparison are much fuller sounding. Much more bass. Less distinction of the instruments, and the treble seems to fall off more. Still, the overall sound is very pleasing, and due to the extra bass, there is more of a kick to certain some songs. So even though the PX100II's do sound very different from the ksc75's, I am enjoying them very much - they also sound awesome, but in a very different way!

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #40 of 734
Quote:
I don't get offended, ever, but I have to say your opinion of both beyer and senn 595 are pretty crap and way out in lala land if you actually think the KSC75 is a better HP. You may prefer their sound signature and you may well have crap hearing too, but to claim KSC75 and/or PX100 is actually better is just dumb. I have barely been here 3 days and I am already tiring of the pseudo audiophiles with their BS outlandish claims. Better go buy some more silver wire to make dem KSC75 really sing. <roll eyes emoticon>

Schonen...

Dude...you have a really bad attitude. This is a FORUM, people share their impessions and contrary opinions all the time WITHOUT insulting one another. I doubt if you do ever get offended because you clearly have no problem hurling insults.

Posters like Katun have been on here for years and have done quality work and informative reviews. You just got here and this is all you have? Why not post some reviews for everybody? People like what they like...deal with it. Do us a favor, stick your posts about "Favorite covers versions of Eight Miles High", etc.

I've been here a while. You comments in this thread qualify you as a "psuedo audiophile" IMO.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #42 of 734
I've been listening to these for two days now and figured I'd post some very early impressions. Don't hate me for it, but they don't quite have my preferred signature (more on this later).

Out of the Sansa Clip+ (which is ruler flat and can drive even the HD-598 and my DJ100) the bass is a bit sloppy and there's too much mid-bass IMO (for my preferences). I found it way above what would be considered neutral. More mid-bass than even the HD-600 and my DJ100 (IMO). The lower mids (I believe) were very fatiguing for me. I must be sensitive to this area. Listen to the first few seconds of "Wyona's Big Brown Beaver" from Primus to see what I mean. It drives my ears nut. I would say there is not quite enough treble for me. That mid-bass doesn't always show up and annoy me and it's all random. On some songs it's fine. The sound also seems a bit congested at times. Very slightly muffled, but only at random it seems.

From out of nowhere I hooked up my Sansa Clip+ to my Airhead. The best i've heard it by far and not a subtle improvement for me. That bass is now well controlled and not overkill at all. I would say it still has a fairly large mid-bass hump, but not enough to annoy me. Perfectly acceptable. Maybe it's not so much that it's too huge for me, but perhaps not well controlled enough? The mids are now not so fatiguing. I checked the same sound above and it's still fatiguing, but made it to be a lot more bearable.

I listened to these with an amp and like them quite a bit now. These definitely benefit from amping to my ears. I didn't like them with the E10 at all, but the Airhead was nice. I'll have to try them with my E5 and X-Fi Go Pro DAC/amp. Listening to the "Buena Vista Social Club" and the "Mishima" soundtrack is pretty impressive. Even the soundstage is good!

NOTE: The bass wasn't caused by too much clamping force or anything.

Also..i'll try them out my iaudio 7. Maybe they will sound better without an amp using that source. It may be slightly more powerful than my Clip+. If this is what it takes, then that's crazy! I guess ohm ratings don't mean everything.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #43 of 734
Quote:
I've been listening to these for two days now and figured I'd post some very early impressions. Don't hate me for it, but they don't quite have my preferred signature (more on this later).

Sorry if I am being dense, but what have you been listening to?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #44 of 734
How well does PX100-ii handle rock?

I'm not asking for bright, great resolution, fast driver type of headphone; I'm just curious if PX100-ii flexible enough to handle tracks like those from The Mars Volta or System of A Down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back