PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Jul 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #16 of 734
Ha, great review. I still have my original PX-100 though these days I spend a lot more time with my Grado PS 500's which are my favorite headphones (though I am fond of the HD 598 and the AKG Q701 also). I have to admit that every time I plug the PX-100's into my ipod (or Kindle Fire) I am absolutely floored at how good they are!

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 734
Quote:

I liked mine straight from the box, but have used them hundreds of hours by now. Not sure of the improvements, if any.

Yeah, it was while walking through the grocery store and almost getting busted doing some air guitar that it became clear to me that I like the PX100II's straight out of the box as well
smile.gif
  They also make me realize that I wasn't on drugs for liking my headband-modded KSC75's so much, because they both have a very similar sound. In fact, they both sound great. But I think that the sound out of the PX100II's is a bit richer and fuller, and the bass is great - it seems to have a bit more of a kick.

I am also digging how nice and solid the headband is - it seems very durable and makes my KSC75's headband feel like a cheap $1.95 headband (oh yeah, it is a cheap $1.95 headband lol!). The KSC75 is actually a bit more comfortable because it is so light, and there is not quite as much pressure on the ears. Having said that, the PX100II is still very comfortable, and I can tell that I'll be able to wear it for extended periods. And I am really digging the single sided cable - very nice. They are also very comfortable around the neck, and I love how the drivers can be turned sideways.

Anyway, the love affair has just begun! I'll provide an update on my impressions after a while.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 734
Quote:
Yes, great job. I really agree with everything you wrote. As you know, I reviewed them as part of my 16 headphone roundup, which I'm still not finished posting, and I love the PX-100 II. I don't quite see the logic of some of the naysayers, and I like that you compared them to much more expensive full-size sets only to emphasise the value. Otherwise, they are what they are...amazingly comfortable, fun sounding and still sophisticated.

Because it defies the laws of physics that such a small driver can beat the driver in the HD598. Sorry, don't buy it for one sec. I have owned PX100 in the past and was not overly impressed by them and preferred KSC75 for that driver size and KSC75 only cost me $12.50.  I think the OP just likes them better due to comfort and is trying to rationalize why he prefers them by claiming they sound better when they really don't.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #19 of 734
Interesting that you didn't like the PX200-II. These are my work phones and I use the HD580 at home. Haven't found a headphone in the mid price range that I like better than the 580. While not up to the 580 sound, I find them to be close enough and amazed every time I plug them into my iPhone. Now the iPhone has a mid-centric, yet slightly cold sound, so maybe that's why I find it pairs nicely with the 200. If I had to keep one for all my needs, it would be the 200-II. I haven't heard the 100-II, but since I have come to realize I only like the Sennheiser sound, these are on my list for my next set of phones. Thanks for the detailed review.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #20 of 734
Quote:
Because it defies the laws of physics that such a small driver can beat the driver in the HD598.

You need to do your research if you think driver size is everything. I guess the Sony XB1000 and MA900 are the best headphones in the world.

Oh, and that also means that every single IEM in existence pales in comparison to the cheapest of portable or full sized headphones.

Quote:
I think the OP just likes them better due to comfort and is trying to rationalize why he prefers them by claiming they sound better when they really don't.

This doesn't even deserve a response...

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #21 of 734
Quote:

Yeah, it was while walking through the grocery store and almost getting busted doing some air guitar that it became clear to me that I like the PX100II's straight out of the box as well
smile.gif
  They also make me realize that I wasn't on drugs for liking my headband-modded KSC75's so much, because they both have a very similar sound. In fact, they both sound great. But I think that the sound out of the PX100II's is a bit richer and fuller, and the bass is great - it seems to have a bit more of a kick.

Mini-update. Ozzy Osbourne's "Mama, I'm Coming Home" sparked up on my player, and the bass was pretty overwhelming (bloated or congested I guess) - similar to how the Portapro's could get (not the KSC75's). The bass on that song is somewhat ridiculous, but I tried playing with the equalizer, and couldn't really address it. I then found the below post:
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,1203.0.html

This is what the dude was saying:

"The PX100-IIs were bassy and a little congested even when I received them second hand (although they looked brand new) which is why I mentioned the bass reducer thing, and turning up the volume very loud to get the best sound, etc... Well all that is no longer needed. I now listen with no EQ at all. The biggest improvement one can make to these cans sound is to stretch the top left and right parts of the headband outwards to make the fit looser. When they are tight, the bass is boomy and the vocals and mids are congested. The highs are also lost. Its basically just like when pushing anything hard into your ears, the sound gets muffled. try listening to some earbuds and hold them hard in your ears... Thats the sort of difference I am talking about here. Burn in also helped but to a much smaller degree than the headband stretching."

I did that, and it works very well. Not only do they sounds awesome, but they are much more comfortable not being pressed as hard against the ears. Highly recommended.

Edit: Oh yeah, very highly recommended... this is sounding incredibly good!

Another thing I might look into doing is getting the PX100 replacement pads for the PX100II, because this is what the dude had to say about them:

"Sennheiser PX100 Replacement pads
Ahh here we have a brighter sound vs all the other pads above except for the cryotech pads. Think of the cryotech pads with more mids and similar bass. My favorite overall pad for the px100-II. The most expensive but worth it! Think of this as the koss portapro pads with life added to the sound."

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 734
I thought I mentioned that in my review? But I'm glad you found out about experimenting with clamping force to alter sound.

Believe me, these can be stretched to the point to where they end up being bass light.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 734
Quote:
I thought I mentioned that in my review? But I'm glad you found out about experimenting with clamping force to alter sound.

Believe me, these can be stretched to the point to where they end up being bass light.

I did read in your review about how the headband could be bent easily, but I'm not sure I saw anything about how doing so altered the sound. But it was a long review, so it's quite possibly I missed it :)

Anyway, how the clamping force changes sound is quite amazing. I found the same thing with the Portapros - they clamped too tight for me and the bass did the same thing - was kind of bloated at times. But when I put them on the KSC75 earclips (so that they were farther away from the ear), they sounded great. And conversely the KSC75 drivers didn't have enough bass for me until I put them on the cheapo-headband, and there they sound great. And now the PX100II's sound really great.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #24 of 734
Quote:
I did read in your review about how the headband could be bent easily, but I'm not sure I saw anything about how doing so altered the sound. But it was a long review, so it's quite possibly I missed it :)

Anyway, how the clamping force changes sound is quite amazing. I found the same thing with the Portapros - they clamped too tight for me and the bass did the same thing - was kind of bloated at times. But when I put them on the KSC75 earclips (so that they were farther away from the ear), they sounded great. And conversely the KSC75 drivers didn't have enough bass for me until I put them on the cheapo-headband, and there they sound great. And now the PX100II's sound really great.

I'll be editing the review again soon, so perhaps I'll make it more noticeable next time around. It's pretty buried in their right now.

Some days I prefer them with more clamp, and others with less. Kind of depends on my mood and music. But even clamped down pretty good, I wouldn't quite describe them as bloated. No more than the HD650 at least, but more than the HD600. I personally can't have them too stretched, or I find too much bass is lost. But again, it kinda depends on what I'm using them for that day. But it is nice that you can alter the sound and comfort on a whim! Not to mention, EQ is always available.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 734
My head-fi journey started with a Grado SR60 and Senn PX100. Many many headphones later, the newer PX100-ii has found a permanent place on my desk while all the others still rotate through. My little system right now is the PX100-ii through a Focusrite VRMbox which emulates speakers and the sound is fantastic. Yeah I suppose I could set up my Bottlehead Crack and Sextetts... or I could just keep groovin' with what I've got.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #26 of 734
Quote:

You need to do your research if you think driver size is everything. I guess the Sony XB1000 and MA900 are the best headphones in the world.

Oh, and that also means that every single IEM in existence pales in comparison to the cheapest of portable or full sized headphones.

This doesn't even deserve a response...

That's because with an IEM the driver is right next to your ear drum and also due to the seal in the ear canal the IEM creates. Press any headphone tight to your ear and you will get more bass and a fuller sound. What I said is basically true and no small portable headphone is going to come close to between a HD598 and HD650. If what you said is true then where are all the other "audiophiles" making the same claim?

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #27 of 734
I'm curious to what headphones you have listened to. Care to list them?

Quote:
What I said is basically true and no small portable headphone is going to come close to between a HD598 and HD650.

I'm guessing this claim is based of your interpretations of other people's descriptions of headphones in which you have never heard...

Quote:
If what you said is true then where are all the other "audiophiles" making the same claim?

Quote:
This also doesn't even deserve a response...

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 734
Quote:
I'm curious to what headphones you have listened to. Care to list them?

I'm guessing this claim is based of your interpretations of other people's descriptions of headphones in which you have never heard...

I already said I have owned PX100 and IMO they sound worse than KSC75 which cost me only $12.50 so they sure have no chance against my HD595, DT990pro and SRH840.

In fact, the PX100 were given to me and I told the person who gave them to me that I would prefer to trade them for the cheaper KSC75 because I liked their sound better, which is what we did. Are you now claiming the PX100 and just a shadow of the PX100-II?

NEXT!

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #29 of 734
Quote:
I already said I have owned PX100 and IMO they sound worse than KSC75 (have owned 2 pairs of them) which cost me only $12.50 so they sure have no chance against my HD595, DT990pro and SRH840.

In fact, the PX100 were given to me and I told the person who gave them to me that I would prefer to trade them for the cheaper KSC75 because I liked their sound better, which is what we did. Are you now claiming the PX100 are just a shadow of the PX100-II?

NEXT!

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #30 of 734
Quote:

I'll be editing the review again soon, so perhaps I'll make it more noticeable next time around. It's pretty buried in their right now.

Some days I prefer them with more clamp, and others with less. Kind of depends on my mood and music. But even clamped down pretty good, I wouldn't quite describe them as bloated. No more than the HD650 at least, but more than the HD600. I personally can't have them too stretched, or I find too much bass is lost. But again, it kinda depends on what I'm using them for that day. But it is nice that you can alter the sound and comfort on a whim! Not to mention, EQ is always available.

Bloated was probably the wrong word - I need to study the "audio terms" glossary more! Anyway, part of my problem was the EQ settings. I was listening to the PX100II's using my custom KSC75 EQ preset (on my Samsung Galaxy S2/PowerAmp app). At first I thought it was great, but then after a while I was noticing fatigue. I re-worked the EQ settings, and now between the revised EQ settings and the stretched headband, I'm pretty sure that I have reached nirvana.

Fwiw, I really should have known to play with the EQ settings earlier, because the same thing happened before when I had the Portapro's and then got the KSC75's: I continued using the Portapro EQ settings and the KSC75's sounded, well, bloated and fatiguing. Once I created my custom KSC75 EQ preset, I was happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back